Jim Murray vs Top Shelf Chick: The Trifecta Challenge

smgrey24
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In order to prove that more is better (dollars that is), I embarked upon a trifecta challenge! For fun, I decided to try Jim Murray's top 3 whiskey's (for 2012) to see how his ratings compare to that of mine (the self-proclaimed Top Shelf Chick).

Jim Murray 2012 Whisky Bible top 3 are as follows:

-- 2012 World Whisky of the Year

Old Pulteney Aged 21 years

-- Second Finest Whisky in the World

George T. Stagg

-- Third Finest World Whisky in the World

Parkers Heritage Collection 10 years

Here's my take:

Old Pulteney - quite a refined and noble gentlemen. The coat, tie and French cuff kind of guy. One sip is all it takes to know that you are indeed in the presence of royalty. A whisky of few words. Soft spoken and poetic. The type to throw his coat down over a puddle to allow a lady to cross. Understated but not to be forgotten, his legacy will live on in your palate long after your last pour. While well worth the price, however my taste buds rated this old man in 3rd place.

I affectionately refer to George T. Stagg as the General Patton of bourbon. Cantankerous and crusty with a take no prisoners approach. 8 foot tall and bullet proof. Pulls up to the party in a tank, flips open the hatch and starts shelling your taste buds with wild abandon. Best to yell “fire in the hole” before taking a sip so all are warned that an explosive detonation in a confined space is imminent. Drink this neat at your own risk. Now folks, this is our first place winner! George was robbed as he easily should have been crowned with the World's Whisky of the Year title! Hands down the best bourbon I have ever tasted.

Parkers Heritage 10 years –“Mr. Parker” to his friends, is a modern day renegade. Tons of flair, character and style. Grabs your nose from the uncork. His raisinsy slap to your face lands him in the #2 spot in my ratings. Beware as he'll be noticed by everyone in the room as they whisper and wonder – who is this? He sits in the corner and waits for you to come to him. I’m here my pretty … if you dare.

So has anyone else taken this trifecta challenge? Would love to hear your ratings compared to dear old Jim's.

2012-03-04052809.jpg

am i the only one that thinks top shelf chick is some middle aged guy with a big gut, hair combed over his bald spot and 3 day old stubble yanking our chains?

I have not tasted the Old Pulteney, but the Stagg I tasted last night was deelish... It was several years sold- I don't remember the year. I also tasted the Parker's ten last night- (you caught me on a good day ;) I have to say the Parker's ten is really my favorite right now- both the 124 and the 127-

As for Scotch- there are so many bottlings.... I tend to like the Peaty types, but really, anything good is alright.

Cheers,

RW

am i the only one that thinks top shelf chick is some middle aged guy with a big gut, hair combed over his bald spot and 3 day old stubble yanking our chains?

.........And a 7 figure salary? :grin:

You got me! Damn it what gave it away?

You got me! Damn it what gave it away?

all the descriptions of whiskies that tsc has been posting. look at the descriptions of op, gts and phc above: sounds like a guy TRYING to sound like a chick. maybe it's just me. i had a lot of knob creek sb last night and my brain feels like it has cotton all over it. kc sb creeps up on me every single time. i was trying to finish off an open bottle. it's ok but i prefer other bourbons: top shelf, mid shelf and dusty bottom shelf bourbons.

and oh yeah, i figured it was YOU: SMowk and SMgrey24. momma didn't raise no dummy!

Anyone purposely using comic sans as a typeface is almost certainly yanking your chain.

i don't even know how to do that but may be i should drink a douglas macarthur of the bourbon world, stick a corn cob pipe of a bourbon in my mouth, wade through the waves of delectable bourbon gently slapping my freshly pressed khakis (smooth as dusty wt 12yo) and figure it out?

Glad someone finally said it. I'm too new around here to be casting such accusations, but I thought something was amiss from the original post. Entertaining nonetheless.

I've had my doubts since 2nd post when Fighting Cock bottle was displayed up on a stand. Looked rather phal___.

Could be wrong, but something "ain't quite right" with these posts.

Actually, I was thinking Andy Rooney isn't really dead

Regardless, I have to say that I find the descfiptions rather amusing. They aren't really tasting notes. They are more impressionistic.

I love Stagg and thought then12yr expression of Old P to be quite nice, so I imagine the 21 being quite the contender,and DEAR gawd...I seriously need the PHC Wheater. I'm not kidding. It actually hurts not to have it.

Also I call shinnanigans on Jim Murray. George should have taken the crown over that scotch. No disrespected intended, bit I wonder if Jim's opinion is swayed by cash? His opinion alone can set the whiskey world ablaze.

As a southern belle, I am not used to having to defend my honor (that is why God made cowboys and Rhett Butler types), but it appears that some folks are leery of a woman who drinks bourbon (and scotch). Not sure how font choice, placement of the "chicken" in pics, nor style of tasting note descriptors would cause my gender to become suspect? How does one go about proving in a post that they are female anyway? Nevertheless, in an attempt not to have this thread moved (unlike my first one), I will address this whole gender debacle in the "New to Straightbourbon" section. We have a saying in the south..."people throw rocks at things that shine". Not a very neighborly way to treat a newbie. Rhett Butler would not approve.

As a southern belle, I am not used to having to defend my honor (that is why God made cowboys and Rhett Butler types), but it appears that some folks are leery of a woman who drinks bourbon (and scotch). Not sure how font choice, placement of the "chicken" in pics, nor style of tasting note descriptors would cause my gender to become suspect? How does one go about proving in a post that they are female anyway? Nevertheless, in an attempt not to have this thread moved (unlike my first one), I will address this whole gender debacle in the "New to Straightbourbon" section. We have a saying in the south..."people throw rocks at things that shine". Not a very neighborly way to treat a newbie. Rhett Butler would not approve.

If you read through alot of the threads in pretty much all the sub-forums, you'll notice that alot good natured ribbing takes place...none of it is mean spirited

If you read through alot of the threads in pretty much all the sub-forums, you'll notice that alot good natured ribbing takes place...none of it is mean spirited

Understood. See there .. this should prove to you that I am a woman because of my reaction to the posts. Men laugh - whereas women attack. :lol: Climbing back in off the ledge now. So, can we get some opinions on Jim Murray's top 3 selections please? Am I the only one who thinks he got it wrong?

How does one go about proving in a post that they are female anyway?

isn't it obvious? PICS. post pics of yourself drinking OP, GTS and PHC. :cool:

oops! forgot to add: if you are an affluent, middle aged, balding guy, don't post pics unless its a pic of your trophy wife or girlfriend. a back headshot of someone in a long wig ain't gonna cut it.

Not a very neighborly way to treat a newbie.

What's not very neighborly is coming into someone's home and talking a mile a minute to all their guests without first introducing yourself. That's why your first post was moved.

So, can we get some opinions on Jim Murray's top 3 selections please? Am I the only one who thinks he got it wrong?

I'm sure Jim Murray thinks he was dead on. Does it really matter?

Understood. See there .. this should prove to you that I am a woman because of my reaction to the posts. Men laugh - whereas women attack. :lol: Climbing back in off the ledge now. So, can we get some opinions on Jim Murray's top 3 selections please? Am I the only one who thinks he got it wrong?

I agreed with you. I think Jim is on the take, personally.

While I do not usually agree with most of Jim's ratings (especially his rating of my beloved Woodford) ... I do consider these 3 of my best friends. Jim would approve I'm sure.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

isn't it obvious? PICS. post pics of yourself drinking OP, GTS and PHC. :cool:

Ahhhh...Top Shelf..you should not have bowed down to the pressure :lol:

I consider JM useless as a whiskyreviewer

His ratings are very random to me. Ardbeg 2011 Feis Ile 67 and Jameson regular at 96 iirc. Doesn't make sense to me

All the 3 drams smgrey reviewed here are for sure nice drams, but the OP21 is far from being the worlds best whisky. I rated it around 84...It's a good dram, but nothing spectacular.

I've also attented a "masterclass" conducted by JM, and it was more or less the most stupid thing I ever encountered as a whisky drinker. People who has a religious approach to how whisky MUST be drunk are clueless imo.

Be open to whisky. Drink it the way YOU like it. Just because I drink whisky one way doesn't mean everybody else can't drink it the way they prefer it

Especially his handwarming rituals is a turn-off for me. Ruins most whiskies for me

I like smgrey's reviews, having tasted all three drams the poetic reviews make sense to me. Personally I wouldn't rate any of the three as my top whiskies, but the two bourbons I do agree is drams worth a high rating

Steffen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.