Jack and COLA

CorvallisCracker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When Brown-Forman submits an application for a Certificate Of Label Approval for Jack Daniel's, what CLASS/TYPE code do they use?

A - 101 - STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKY

B - 140 - WHISKY

C - 141 - BOURBON WHISKY

D - 143 - CORN WHISKY

E - 144 - LIGHT WHISKY

F - 146 - WHISKY PROPRIETARY

G - 149 - OTHER WHISKY

H - All of the above

wait for it...

The correct answer is H - All of the above (but not on the same application) :skep:

The most frequently used is 149 - OTHER WHISKY

STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKY

BOURBON WHISKY

CORN WHISKY

I'm not into mixed drinks.:slappin:

How do you feel about muddy water?

The whole "Is Jack Daniels bourbon?" thing is a serious case of muddy water. The fact that Brown-Forman doesn't seem sure about it either just adds extra mud.

I'm not sure if it's B/F or the TTB. There have been quite a few inconsistencies in the way products are coded (bourbon, straight bourbon, bourbon BIB, etc.) for the same products, as well as outright mistakes.

My favorite is this single barrel Willett rye that's listed as CT 132-- blended rye :lol:

The whole "Is Jack Daniels bourbon?" thing is a serious case of muddy water. The fact that Brown-Forman doesn't seem sure about it either just adds extra mud.

Oh thanks, I get it. For a minute there I thought you were threatening to kick my ass or something. :grin:

Oh thanks, I get it. For a minute there I thought you were threatening to kick my ass or something. :grin:

If "Lazer" is the correct spelling of your last name, then you have nothing to worry about.

And, in the end, the mud you make is equal to the mud you take.

Or the mud you sling. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
If "Lazer" is the correct spelling of your last name, then you have nothing to worry about.

Actually, yes. My first name is Lazer, not "laser", what kind of stupid name is that?

• 7 months later...

I asked a friend, who is a retired TTB agent, and he said that the TTB puts in the class and type, so JD is not the culprit. Circa 2003, TTB stopped requiring, or letting, the applicant to make the choice, i.e., applicants entering the class and type on the on the application. The TTB makes the decision for the applicant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.