Pappy Van Winkle's Reserve Bourbon Liqueur

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I received this letter a few weeks ago, but I can finally post it here.

Dear Lover of Fine Bourbon,

As one of our most valued, elite friends in the media, we wanted you to be one of the first to try an exciting new product we have created. Allow us to introduce you to Pappy Van Winkle's Reserve Bourbon Liqueur. As you probably know, this is the first bourbon liqueur we have ever created, but it is firmly in Van Winkle tradition. It is bottled at 87 proof, made with 15 year old wheat-recipe bourbon from the legendary Stitzel-Weller distillery, Jefferson County Kentucky honey produced just feet from Stitzel-Weller and the finest herbs and spices. The whiskey liqueur segment has been growing by leaps and bounds in recent years, and the success of products like Drambuie 15 year oldhave shown that there is a large market for premium liqueurs. We think Pappy would be very proud. Please accept this sample with our compliments. All we askis that you keep this exciting new product to yourself until April. Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,

Julian Van Winkle III

Some tasting notes on the sample I received:

Appearance: Dark copper,thick sticky legs.

Nose: Bit of oak, honey, thyme, grass.

On the palate: Sweet, thick,wildflower honey, oak, orange peel, anise.

Finish: sweet with a hint of oak. Leaves my mouth all sticky.

Not bad as liqueurs go.

Anybody else tried this stuff yet or been able to find a label on the COLA site?

Is that for real? They are making what is essentially PVW15 Honey? :skep: A very strange thing to do, in my opinion.

It's ok, but not as good as the cherry maple George t stagg tea liqueur. All the classic stagg flavors, but with cherry, maple, and tea added in.

Interesting. I have actually spent quite a bit of time perfecting my own liqueur using pre-2007 bottles of Pappy 15 as a base. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage to this official version, since my honey did not come from Stitzel-Weller bees, but I like to think I've concocted a pretty lively brew!

First, I dump a whole bottle of Pappy 15 into a stove-top pan. Then I add a few jars of maraschino cherries, three cups of brown sugar and 5 cups powdered sugar. I bring the whole concoction to a boil then let it simmer for a few hours, adding cinnamon sticks and a slight amount of cayenne pepper. After it has reduced to about 1/2 or 1/3 of its original volume, I remove it from heat and put it in the freezer. After 20 minutes it's ready to throw back. Add honey to taste!

Interesting. I have actually spent quite a bit of time perfecting my own liqueur using pre-2007 bottles of Pappy 15 as a base. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage to this official version, since my honey did not come from Stitzel-Weller bees, but I like to think I've concocted a pretty lively brew!

First, I dump a whole bottle of Pappy 15 into a stove-top pan. Then I add a few jars of maraschino cherries, three cups of brown sugar and 5 cups powdered sugar. I bring the whole concoction to a boil then let it simmer for a few hours, adding cinnamon sticks and a slight amount of cayenne pepper. After it has reduced to about 1/2 or 1/3 of its original volume, I remove it from heat and put it in the freezer. After 20 minutes it's ready to throw back. Add honey to taste!

And I'll presume nothing but the best for the Pappy 15 and the Maraschino cherries are Luxardo. I'm surprised you haven't brought this to any of our gatherings.

Since I have tasted it again, the honey seems more like it's from Buffalo Trace bees than Stitzel-Weller bees. Curse you Julian!!

Sounds similar to something in the works at the Nik Metop distillery!

:slappin: :bowdown:

Billy Fightingcock! He has been an irreplaceable counselor in my quest to find the perfect use for all the pre-2007 Pappy 15 I have.

:slappin: :bowdown:

Billy Fightingcock! He has been an irreplaceable counselor in my quest to find the perfect use for all the pre-2007 Pappy 15 I have.

He's one of the great unsung heroes of this business...:lol:

To break character for a moment, glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't able to put as many inside jokes in this year's, but it was fun to write! And perhaps a chilling vision of things to come.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.