Bernheim Wheat Whiskey

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Older threads are closed on this whiskey. My sweet wife picked me up a bottle the other day. I like the Bernheim, not bland and sweet but has some nice bite to it and is wonderful with ice. I was wondering if there were any newer opinions on it.

I like it as a change of pace. I think it's a very successful whiskey, considering they were really shooting in the dark when they made it. I would pick up a bottle if I didn't already have too much whiskey and may anyway.

Yeah I admire them for this whiskey. Totally unexpected. You'd expect some sort of MM sweetness, but instead it's more akin to a rye whiskey. Sharp and savory with a bite. I'd love to try this at 2 more years + 100 proof.

Since it has a majority of wheat and not corn in the mashbill, there shouldn't be any additional sweetness like in a wheated bourbon.

My best desctiption of it is biscuity. And I really like it as well.

Since it has a majority of wheat and not corn in the mashbill, there shouldn't be any additional sweetness like in a wheated bourbon.

My best desctiption of it is biscuity. And I really like it as well.

Yeah biscuity is a good word.

I think it's great and better than the first year's release, deeper and richer. Maybe they kept some of the first whiskey dumped for later bottlings or some of it at least, i.e., the current bottlings seem (to me) more matured than on first release.

Wheat whiskey was a well-known category in the later 1800's, it pops up in old ads all the time. Some obviously was white whiskey - some producers issued a "white wheat whiskey" as such - and some would have been aged surely, just as some corn whiskey was. What is old is new again... But of all the current new styles or experiments we see, e.g., the new crop of white whiskeys, whiskeys aged in wine barrels and so forth, I find Bernheim Wheat the most successful. It's interesting that (to my knowledge) other players haven't followed suit.

Gary

They dropped the price a while back too ($25 to $30 range now) which makes it more attractive. Scott described it as biscuity, which I agree, and think of it as a tea and biscuits functioning kind of whiskey...being just the perfect break for us manly-men whiskey drinkers :lol:.

Wheat whiskey was a well-known category in the later 1800's, it pops up in old ads all the time. Some obviously was white whiskey - some producers issued a "white wheat whiskey" as such - and some would have been aged surely, just as some corn whiskey was. What is old is new again... But of all the current new styles or experiments we see, e.g., the new crop of white whiskeys, whiskeys aged in wine barrels and so forth, I find Bernheim Wheat the most successful. It's interesting that (to my knowledge) other players haven't followed suit.

Gary

I had no idea about that..this board is cool. Learn something new everyday.

My favorite local store participated in a single barrel pick of this today. Should be on the shelf in a month or two.

I have to admit the Bernheim tastes rather delicious at cask strength.

My favorite local store participated in a single barrel pick of this today. Should be on the shelf in a month or two.

I have to admit the Bernheim tastes rather delicious at cask strength.

Any chane you could PM me which store that is? I would like to try a picked version.

I wonder why they age it in new barrels? I know the ttb states it has to be, but we have some that is what I would say is close to their mashbill that is 2 years old in used barrels and I tapped one last week and it is great. The used wood really lets the softness of the wheat shine through. We use white wheat so it is a creamy taste. Be a shame to cover it up with new oak.

I wonder why they age it in new barrels? I know the ttb states it has to be, but we have some that is what I would say is close to their mashbill that is 2 years old in used barrels and I tapped one last week and it is great. The used wood really lets the softness of the wheat shine through. We use white wheat so it is a creamy taste. Be a shame to cover it up with new oak.

When will yours be available?

What will you call it, Tom, since you can't call it wheat whiskey?

Of course, the way TTB has been lately, you can probably call it anything you want.

Wow CS Bernheim, that would be awesome. I am really enjoying this bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.