Diageo revamps Johnnie Walker stable – two in, two out

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just-Drinks headline reports:

"Diageo has lined up two additions to the Johnnie Walker

global portfolio, and is pulling two variants from the Scotch

whisky brand's stable."

I'm not a J-D subscriber so I can't access the entire story

and was wondering if anyone has heard what two are "out"

and what two are now "in"?

I recall reading that the JW Green was being dropped but

haven't heard of another JW label getting the ax.

Your link gives me the whole article.

"The company confirmed to just-drinks today (4 April) that it will roll out Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve and Platinum Label 18-Year-Old in all markets starting from early June. Gold Label Reserve, which has been available in South East Asia for about three years, will hit all of Johnnie Walker's markets around the world during the summer."

"Meanwhile, Diageo said that it will be withdrawing Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18-Year-Old from all markets except the US, where it will remain for another 12 months. Also leaving the portfolio is Green Label, except in the US where it will be available again for another 12 months, and in Taiwan where it will not be withdrawn at all. “Green Label is a very important part of the blended whisky category in Taiwan for us,†Morgan added."

Your link gives me the whole article.

Thanks for sharing the piece.

Not sure why I was unable to view it - maybe because I visit

J-D often and have used up my share of "free" views of their

articles?...

When I say them roll out the Platinum at 18 years late last year I was wondering about the conflict with Gold. It's like there's no conflict now. I'm sure Platinum with come with a Platinum price relative to the old Gold. :rolleyes:

I just went back and reread the article. So the Gold Reserve will be at Gold 18's price point and Platinum will be about $110.

You gotta bring that gap to Blue Label somehow!

I just wonder if they will jack up the prices of the soon to be discontinued products.

Luckily, the Green has been on sale somewhere for $45-50 around here for the past 18 months. My guess is that it doesn't sell so well.

I just recently bought a bottle of the Green. And while it is good, I don't see myself bunkering any of it. I think the ~$50 entry fee is a little high personally.

• 3 months later...

On Ralfy's vlog he stated that the Johnny Walker rep revealed that Green Label was going to be discontinued. Apparently it will be replaced by Johnny Walker 'Platinum.' Whatevs. The naming scheme has always been a bit off. Red, Black, Double-Black, Gold, Green, and Blue.

I hear good things about Green label. I think I will grab a bottle or two.

Green is meh, the gold is the best of the bunch IMO! 18yr age stmt and even better when on sale at Costco for around $55.

Green is meh, the gold is the best of the bunch IMO! 18yr age stmt and even better when on sale at Costco for around $55.

I thought Gold was still a blended whiskey (with neutral vpgrain whiskey) versus a blended malt?

Green is good. I like the black too. But the green isn't so good that I feel the need to bunker it.

I really like the black, red is OK for the price, and I can say I will never buy a bottle of the blue. I have never tried the green or the gold but since green is being phased out I am going to buy a bottle and give it a try. Better late than never I guess.

Green is gone in my area. I refuse to pay for Blue. Red is horrible, IMO. Black it is. :cool:

Cosign.

~Extra text due to minimum character restriction. Ignore.~

Merged into the discussion regarding the Johnnie Walker product line changes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.