High West ryes

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Seems amazing that they still have any of the Barton Rye, especially the 80 percent rye. Could there be more that they are buying???

Maybe they are putting it in the batch by the teaspoon!

Well, you are correct, new High West email newsletter says moving forward there is no Barton in Double Rye or YKY it has been replaced in the blend with their house distilled Pot Still rye.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, kevinbrink said:

Well, you are correct, new High West email newsletter says moving forward there is no Barton in Double Rye or YKY it has been replaced in the blend with their house distilled Pot Still rye.

Yeah, I saw that as well. If i come across one I will try it but not much desire to seek one out until I have tried it myself.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. The 100% High West rye has to be the aged OMG Silver Rye that was introduced about 6 years ago. It is now listed as "sold out". I have a bottle gathering dust in my cabinet. They talked about aging it for a future release, but it looks like they will just use it as blending stock.

Regards, Jim   

2 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Very interesting. The 100% High West rye has to be the aged OMG Silver Rye that was introduced about 6 years ago. It is now listed as "sold out". I have a bottle gathering dust in my cabinet. They talked about aging it for a future release, but it looks like they will just use it as blending stock.

Regards, Jim   

My guess is that the HW rye they use in Double Rye now is mostly rye they made following the installation of the new still(s) at the new distillery in Wanship. That all happened in 2015 so it would be 2+ years old. Older whiskey likely still comes from MGP stocks they have required over the years. Older rye made at the original distillery could be in it I suppose but i doubt there is much of it around that has been aged.

Well, all I know is that the OMG Silver has been around for at least six years. And their web site claimed that the OMG was going to be aged for a future release, but they wanted customers to taste the new make. The OMG was available for about 4-5 years before it was "sold out".

Regards, Jim 

Edited by hawkeye62

4 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

Well, all I know is that the OMG Silver has been around for at least six years. And their web site claimed that the OMG was going to be aged for a future release, but they wanted customers to taste the new make. The OMG was available for about 4-5 years before it was "sold out".

Regards, Jim 

Could well be. But to my knowledge there was never a ton of it made on that original old still in Park City so it likely couldn't last long. And the website still says MGP rye is used along with HW rye. The 80/20 mashbill is the same as the OMG rye was so who knows.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.