High West ryes

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight. :grin:

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

I sure wish I had had a chance to grab a 16yo. Never saw it on any shelves in West TN but seen plenty of others. For whatever reason, Rendezvous didn't do a lot for me but Bourye been a different story. Thinking about getting another while more plentiful in my parts as well as giving the Double a shot. Scotch is not my thing....so, while the Campfire sounds great, think I'll respectively pass on that one. For Scotch lovers, probably the bee's knees. The 21yo is pretty much out of my wallet range at present but hoping to try it by end of year.

Thanks for the good work and product coming from High West....looking forward to more in the future. Are you still planning to be at TPS on Sept 7th? Anything new for them with your arrival? Love TPS and Jay always a great source of advice. Thanks again!

Edited by Old Lamplighter

Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!

Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!

I will swing by the OKBB on Thursday. Will be at TPS for sure on Friday.

Just signed up for the the TPS event on Friday. Looking forward to tasting some of the High West products for the first time. I am still trying to get my wife to stop and grab me some of the original Bourye on the way through Indy.

I got to attend the High West tasting last night at TPS. Mat did a great job with giving us the history of High West and the background of their whiskeys. It is quite refreshing to see a company that is so straight forward with where their whiskey comes from and what goes in their blends. We tasted the following whiskeys. They are listed below how I would rank them from last night:

Rendezvous

21 year old (crap I don't recall the name)

Double Rye

Son of Bourye

Campfire

Silver Oat - oat white light whiskey

silver rye - rye white whiskey

The herbal earthy tones in the rendezvous is what gave it top billing for me last night. There is something about this whiskey that I really enjoyed. I did really like the 21 year old Barton rye. It was something special. I will probably kick myself for not picking up before it disappears forever. I went in expecting to not like the Campfire at all. It is all Scotch on the nose. The pallet gives you a touch of the rye spice and a nice sweet bourbon finish. Otters was a lot going on there. The Scotch tones will probably keep me from ever buying it but wouldn't turn it down at a friends house. The white whiskeys were a lot better than most I have had. The oat had a good fruity nose and taste. It is one I would consider buying to replace the vodka in my wife's cocktails.

My brother in law and sister in law had us over for dinner after they installed a beautiful stone patio. He broke out the High West Rye double rye, my first experience, and I was very pleasantly pleased with it. Smooth, tasty and was perfect by the fire on a gorgeous end of summer evening. I picked up a licorice/anise taste of all things on the finish.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye tonight. Been staring at it for a good long while and finally decided to take that plunge.

Picked up a 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye tonight. Been staring at it for a good long while and finally decided to take that plunge.

I found a store that had one 16 and one 21, but if I recall correctly, they were 375ml bottles and the glass was that colored/silver/reflective looking glass.

Anyone know anything about these bottles or were all the 375's this bottle look

Edited by skidfive

I know the very first 21yr 750's had that sort of surface but the later ones didn't. From what I can tell the whiskey inside is the same.

Don't know about the 375's but a 375 21yr I got last year didn't have it.

thanks for the info, I might get one. I think that 59.99 for the 16 and 89.99 for the 21 for 375ml bottles is too much. Id rather get the Handy that I see for that price

Nice play,I couldn't resist as well get back to us when you open it up.I actually enjoy the subtlety of this rye due to the use of used cooperage,it is not what I expected at all,but in a good way!

I found a store that had one 16 and one 21, but if I recall correctly, they were 375ml bottles and the glass was that colored/silver/reflective looking glass.

Anyone know anything about these bottles or were all the 375's this bottle look

I bought 3x 375's of the 16 yr and they were in the irridescent bottles, I wish I could find more as it is delicious

I know the very first 21yr 750's had that sort of surface but the later ones didn't. From what I can tell the whiskey inside is the same.

Don't know about the 375's but a 375 21yr I got last year didn't have it.

I picked up a 375 last year that was in the opaque silver bottle. $72.00! Sometimes I question my sanity. Up until then I had not been able to locate it so I took the plunge.

michaelturtle - what did they run you where you got them.

high horse, I am guessing by the price it was the 21?

They were $53 per bottle and they came from somewhere in Colorado...

Yes .. it was ...

• 1 month later...

Had the 21 at a tasting last week. Very good. Recently got a bottle of the 16yr but haven't had a chance to try it!

Thomas

Had the 21 at a tasting last week. Very good. Recently got a bottle of the 16yr but haven't had a chance to try it!

Thomas

if you like rye, you'll love the 16. About the only bad thing I can say about that bottle is that it is hard to find now (but totally worth it).

• 1 month later...

I've seen the 21 in a couple of different places for about $130. Does that sound about right?

I've not pulled the trigger on one yet, but I am considering it. If I hadn't bought two bottles of PHC this week already, I probably would have taken the plunge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've seen the 21 in a couple of different places for about $130. Does that sound about right?

I've not pulled the trigger on one yet, but I am considering it. If I hadn't bought two bottles of PHC this week already, I probably would have taken the plunge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd say its on the higher end of the range Ive seen out ($110-$130) here but its still within reach

I am sure everyone is aware of this, but I will post it again as a PSA. The High West 21 is no longer being bottled. While I am sure this stay on shelves for a bit because the price can be prohibitive, I recommend buying it if you have been on the fence. It won't be getting any cheaper, and I have seen a couple places jack up the price as their stock dwindles. I bunkered a couple because it is not only very tasty, but very unique - I don't know if we will ever again see a rye aged in used cooperage for 21 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.