What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

clindt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

What did I get?

I plan on giving it a try this evening.

I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

What did I get?

There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

"It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve.":skep: But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.

There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

"It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve.":skep: But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it. I guess its safe to assume not much has changed in the last 4 years that that post was started?

Can't argue with that. I couldn't care less what's written on the label (factual or not), but reckon that it is by far the best looking bottle currently on the market. They're not quite so cheap here in Australia though.... they come in via an independant importer and last time I saw one it was $130 for the 750ml bottle. :bigeyes:

This is some of that "truthiness" that the bourbon industry is so well known for that it leads to things like the mind=blown thread where everyone questions everything.

They don't say it is pot stilled whiskey, they don't say that they distilled it and rhey don't say that the pot still they have:skep: is functional. They do say it is single barrel and rhe bottle looks like a still they have. The rest is left to be "inferred" but allows they to say "they didn't lie" :skep:

The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.

The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.

I agree with Josh. And it's more on KBD's softer, more buttery side along with JD private stock and Kentucky Vintage. Noah's and Pure are more on the spicy, aggresive side of things.

I opened mine last week, and had a snort. No nose to speak of, and tasted like white dog to me, with a little age to it.

Last night it was totally different, you could smell it in the glass, and the white dog taste was gone.

I have bottle 149 of 281, from barrel 6404.

I had a sip at a tasting last fall. I remember it being pretty decent, and well worth the price you paid for it.

What did I get?

open it, pour it into a glass, and drink it. You're the one with the bottle, why are you asking us? oh you're asking about the truthiness thing. Don't let it bother you, KBD has some good bourbon out there and some that I would pass on just like everybody else. Just enjoy it, its real Kentucky Bourbon.:cool:

Sorry, I'll have to let you all know what I think about it tomorrow. I ended up going shooting with some friends this evening followed with some beer drinking and bs'ing. I will taste it tomorrow with a fresh palate and give you my thoughts.

A vendor gave me a bottle of this for Christmas last year. I have not opened it for some reason, I guess I have too many open bottles I am working on. After reading this post I think I will try a pour this weekend. It is a killer looking bottle and looks great on my bar.

I opened mine last week, and had a snort. No nose to speak of, and tasted like white dog to me, with a little age to it.

Last night it was totally different, you could smell it in the glass, and the white dog taste was gone.

I have bottle 149 of 281, from barrel 6404.

Right, that's what I've got, the "genie" or alternative smoking medium bottle.

Yup, that's the one. Willett Bourbon Whiskey is printed on the bottle, Willett Pot Still Reserve is on the gold metal medallion in wax on the "top" of the squat part.

Ok, this is my very first time giving tasting notes, so bear with me.

Nose: First I get hints of orange peel followed by some toffee notes

Taste: It starts out a little flat followed by a vanilla sweetness. It seems a little one dimensional to me. I was expecting a bigger 'wow' on my palate.

Finish: The finish is mild with very little alcohol burn and a lingering of charred oak.

Overall, I would say it is a very good pour for the $22 I paid for it. If it was in the $35-$45 range that some of you said it goes for, I would probably pick something else up.

Maybe it will open up some in the next month or so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.