EW 7yr vs. OEB 101

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For those of you fortunate enough to have age-stated bottles of EW, have you ever compared it to OEB 101? Since both are 7 year HH distillate, I'm wondering how similar they are at the same proof. Is EW 7yr worth springing extra (double retail) for, or are other current bottlings similar enough?

I have only had two bottles of the OEB 101 but am very familiar with EWBL.

My wife set up some blind tastings for me in the fall and into the winter, we did this several times over the months.

The first two tastings, I had trouble distinguishing. After that, I hit my stride and could make out the difference every time. For me, the difference is in finish moreso than the nose or initial taste.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I did something similar with a bottle of Ezra Brooks Single Barrel as well as EWSB.

*edit, I've never tried the EW age stated, though I would very much like to.

Is the EW 7yr you are talking about 100 Proof? We don't get that version here but I've had quite a few bottles of the age stated 86 proof and it has a very buttery quality too it and much different than current EW. I like the OEB 101 but it has some rough edges and is a different beast than the 86p EW 7.

Is the EW 7yr you are talking about 100 Proof? We don't get that version here but I've had quite a few bottles of the age stated 86 proof and it has a very buttery quality too it and much different than current EW. I like the OEB 101 but it has some rough edges and is a different beast than the 86p EW 7.

I was referring to the old, age-stated 86 proof EW. I wondered if cutting the OEB down to about 86 proof produced a similar bourbon to the old 7yr EW. Sorry for the poor wording!

Since you think the 7 yr EW was substantially different, was it good enough to pay an inflated (though not outrageous) price to obtain a bottle or are there other current bottles that are similar enough?

I was referring to the old, age-stated 86 proof EW. I wondered if cutting the OEB down to about 86 proof produced a similar bourbon to the old 7yr EW. Sorry for the poor wording!

Since you think the 7 yr EW was substantially different, was it good enough to pay an inflated (though not outrageous) price to obtain a bottle or are there other current bottles that are similar enough?

Since the last time I looked I can still find it on the shelves at a few places around here, I would say no it's not worth paying an inflated price. If you are talking in the price range of EWSB than again no, I would just go with that since it's the same or better as far as similiar characteristics to the EW 7yr. Also I've always found the 1783 to have the same similarities to the old age stated EW.

Now on the flip side I am a huge fan of Ezra Brooks from Owensboro from the 80's and would pay a much inflated price for it. That is some of the best bourbon you will ever drink.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to compare these last night, and it was close. While I like OEB, it didn't quite hold up to EW 7yr. The nose was similar for both, though EW had a little less alcohol. On the palate, EW had a rummy brown sugar note that was completely lacking from OEB. I found it very interesting that, while similar, OEB comes off as less complex even though EW is cut to lower proof for bottling. Typically I find that lower proof bourbons are less complex when compared to a similar, but higher proof, bourbon cut to the same proof. That didn't hold true in this case.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.