Still Waters 1+11

WhiskyToWhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked this up in Ontario at lcbo. Limited to 1080 bottles, this blend costs $35. I think it's definately worth the money. Creamy, sweet, spicey, complex, and a nice smooth finish. I would put this in same league as wisers legacy, alberta premium 30 and canadian club 20. Anyone else tried this?

Just picked it up too and I agree with your take on it. Its profile is in the Canadian mold (indeed the whisky is selected and blended by Still Waters, their own make is still being aged for future release) but it is unusually deep and rounded, soft and rich to the palate. Excellent and fairly-priced.

Gary

Sounds good. I was wondering how this was going to turn out. Scored very high at an international competition.

It's a good product, with great texture and balance, and they did it with whiskeys not hugely aged, 4-6 years according to the LCBO's description on its site.

Gary

They state on the Still Waters website that they use upto 10% of their own whisky in this blend. So, since the distillery only started barreling various corn, malt and rye whiskies 2 years ago...and Canadian whisky must be aged 3 years. Are they using their whisky as the flavouring upto 9.09% in this blend?

They state on the Still Waters website that they use upto 10% of their own whisky in this blend. So, since the distillery only started barreling various corn, malt and rye whiskies 2 years ago...and Canadian whisky must be aged 3 years. Are they using their whisky as the flavouring upto 9.09% in this blend?

The whole thing is quite puzzling. I picked up a bottle and it is okay so far but seems to lack the balance and finesse of some other bottlings around that price point.

• 5 months later...

A few months late in responding but I would say that is a big YES.

1/11 = 9.09% , 1+11

Coincidence, I think NOT

I wish the rules on Canadian whisky were tighted up so these types of releases were not allowed to be called "Canadian Whisky".

Unless the 1/11 rule is eliminated, Canadian whisky will never be taken seriously as a premium sipping whisky - especially compared to Single Malt Scotch, Straight Bourbon, and Straight Rye.

• 4 months later...
Hidden

The first of three products being released is new make and will be available at distillery only.

Presumably one of the other two products will be a three year old whisky. The aged whisky will probably be available through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) - the provincial monopoly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.