Practical uses for Vodka

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.stylelist.com/chris-barnes/5-new-uses-for-vodka_b_1432060.html?ref=stylelist-home/&

5 New Uses For Vodka

Posted: 04/17/12 02:18 PM ET | Updated: 04/20/12 09:19 AM ET

What to do with those half empty bottles cluttering your space?

Goo Remover (tar, gum, use it when cleaning your car I guess..hose in one hand bottle in the next), Chrome "shiner" (hey now), Room Deodorizer (ah, the smell of gns), Bouquet Preserver (some for the flowers, some for me, some for the flowers...), Shower Cleaner (keep a non-breakable bottle of it in shower with you..what fun!).

Nobody would think to do this with whiskey.

Vodka is the perfect screen cleaner (talking about computer and television displays).

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

In theater and dance, some shows have costumes that get re-used for many, many years.

Costumes that are too delicate for laundering or dry-cleaning can get sprayed with 100-proof vodka to try and limit the skankiness without ending up with a strong rubbing alcohol smell wafting out into the first few rows of audience.

In theater and dance, some shows have costumes that get re-used for many, many years.

Costumes that are too delicate for laundering or dry-cleaning can get sprayed with 100-proof vodka to try and limit the skankiness without ending up with a strong rubbing alcohol smell wafting out into the first few rows of audience.

Now that is fascinating info. I bet those clothes collections get pretty nasty after all of the sweat from the klieg lights and movement multiplied by show after show.

Ever have a dishrag that didn't get wrung out and hung up on the divider between the two halves of your kitchen sink? It gets that rotten meat smell. Just wring it out really good and dump some vodka on it. let it set a bit and wash it out.

I keep some vodka or everclear under the bathroom sink. Its good for disinfecting things like tweezers, needles and your oral thermometer, anything you would use rubbing alcohol for with the added benefit that its not methanol.

Ever have a dishrag that didn't get wrung out and hung up on the divider between the two halves of your kitchen sink? It gets that rotten meat smell. Just wring it out really good and dump some vodka on it. let it set a bit and wash it out.

I keep some vodka or everclear under the bathroom sink. Its good for disinfecting things like tweezers, needles and your oral thermometer, anything you would use rubbing alcohol for with the added benefit that its not methanol.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol, which isn't healthy but is a hell of a lot less toxic than methanol.

Denatured ethanol (often labeled, "SD alcohol" on products that contain it) is used in many cosmetic and other products and should be much cheaper than beverage alcohol. I wonder if it is available to the general public? Although in the amounts for most of the uses we are discussing, vodka is probably cheap enough.

Tim

• 3 months later...

I use it to clean my tobacco pipes if I don't have Everclear close at hand. That's about all it's good for in my house.

• 5 months later...
Denatured ethanol (often labeled, "SD alcohol" on products that contain it) is used in many cosmetic and other products and should be much cheaper than beverage alcohol. I wonder if it is available to the general public? Although in the amounts for most of the uses we are discussing, vodka is probably cheap enough.Tim
Denatured alcohol is available from just about any hardware or paint store or department. Costs about $7 a quart. It would be near any other solvent like turpentine or mineral spirits. It does contain methanol, specifically added to make it non-potable (that's what's meant by "denatured"), so vodka is probably a safer bet for anything that may come in contact with a mucus membrane. Any use in cosmetics would be in such small concentrations as to be safe, but straight, it's as potentially bad as he turpentine next to it. Edited by oknazevad
Add price

Do NOT spill Vodka........... or any other alcohol on any furniture with a Shellac finish. Alcohol is the solvent for Shellac.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.