Civilied Rye Whiskey

dutch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wondering if anyone has tried the Northern United Brewing Co's Civilized Rye Whiskey? It is distilled near Traverse City, Michigan.

I was able to try it Saturday at the Jolly Pumpkin brewery in Ann Arbor, apparently the mother company for Jolly Pumpkin is the same as Civilized, they stated it was "their" whiskey.

I was definitely not impressed, the nose was all brewers mash, all I could smell was the grain, like sticking your head in the mash tank. The flavor was no better, all grain, no barrel, it was very light colored so I'm thinking it was extremely young, months, not years.

No finish, just grain again, thin, the only good thing was the finish quit right away, didn't have to put up with the grain anymore.

It was the first time in a long time that I actually sent a whiskey back as I couldn't drink it.

Don't know about any of their other spirits, (gin, white whiskey, rum or vodka) but it will be a while before I try it again.

And that is why whiskey is aged.

This micro-distillery stuff is often very like "The Emperor's New Clothes." All of their friends tell them it's great. They get offended when someone tells them the truth.

The best investment a new distiller can make is in buying as many samples of whiskies that are similar to those which he/she intends to produce. It's all too easy to develop a "house palate".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.