Adios, Crown Royal XR, hello XR Blue

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As most of us already know, the remaining stocks of Waterloo will soon be depleted. I'm not totally certain how much longer XR is going to be out there, but it appears to be on its way out according to the CR website:

http://www.crownroyal.com/Whiskies/extra-rare.aspx

Crown Royal XR®

LAST CALL

Crown Royal XR is the first of our extra rare whiskey series. With rare, extra-aged ryes and bourbons, it offers a full-bodied bouquet with a creamy, rounded finish. It is a rare blend with unparalleled smoothness and balance.

Last call for this limited edition. Get yours while you still can because soon it will be gone. Forever.

The current XR will be replaced by a "new" XR, from stocks produced at the La Salle distillery. I don't know Canadian whisky much so maybe someone can tell me if that is still operational and/or producing CR today.

I've only tried the XR once and I thought it was actually tasty... mostly because it tasted like a good bourbon. Going to try some more today and figure out if I want to buy a bottle or not.

post-6850-14489817888388_thumb.jpg

Good catch on this.

Lasalle is a town on the edge of Montreal, Quebec where House of Seagram had a plant for many years. It's where its chief blender, Art Dawe, worked in the era when Michael Jackson wrote his World Guide To Whisky (late 80's).

The distillery dates I believe from the 1920's, the era after the Bronfman family bought Seagram's from the heirs of Jos. A Seagram, founder of the company at its original seat in Waterloo, Ontario.

I'm not sure when Lasalle closed, I'd think about 20 years ago. All production for the Seagram/Diageo Canadian whisky brands is now in Gimli, Manitoba.

Gary

Awesome, thanks for the info. I wonder if the new XR will hold up to the current. I'd like to taste the differences.

While I like the XR, I prefer the cask no 16, and I prefer the Limited Edition over the cask no 16, despite being half the price of the 16. Either way, I'll be picking up a couple extra bottles to bunker of the current XR and will buy the blue when it comes out to compare.

While I like the XR, I prefer the cask no 16, and I prefer the Limited Edition over the cask no 16, despite being half the price of the 16. Either way, I'll be picking up a couple extra bottles to bunker of the current XR and will buy the blue when it comes out to compare.

Do you guys find the XR to be worth the price?

My local retailer had it on sale for $60. last year

so I grabbed one. Have yet to open it and I

wouldn't mind another but any price I see it

listed at is around double that.

If I could find more at "half off", I might grab 'em

but is it "$100.+ worthy?

Here it's $180! Cask 16 $100, Special Reserve $50 and LE $40. Hopefully the blue will be cheaper here, but I doubt it. For premium canadian whisky, wiser's legacy and canadian club 20yo can be had for $50...I might just need to stick to those. Maybe I should try the SR or LE....

While I enjoyed my sample of Crown XR, and thought it went great with a cigar, I wouldn't buy it for two reasons:

1. PQR - the hype/price of Crown products make it out of my enjoyment range

2. 80 proof.

I'll gladly drink it when offered though.

I thought Lasalle was still operating, just under a different name. I will find out, we use some malted rye that comes from up there and the guy I deal with will know for sure.

I would consider it at that price. But not for $125, local price here.

While I enjoyed my sample of Crown XR, and thought it went great with a cigar, I wouldn't buy it for two reasons:

1. PQR - the hype/price of Crown products make it out of my enjoyment range

2. 80 proof.

I'll gladly drink it when offered though.

After trying a small pour last night I agree with both points. It had a fantastic nose and actually tasted good... but nowhere near worth the asking price.

I'm sure for a CR drinker it's completely worth the price, but look at what they pay $30 a bottle for already...

I thought Lasalle was still operating, just under a different name. I will find out, we use some malted rye that comes from up there and the guy I deal with will know for sure.

Let us know. I thought for sure Crown XR was Diageo's Canadian version of Johnnie Walker Blue-- a way to rake in the cash while selling off old stocks of distilleries they've mothballed or closed.

Was never a big fan of the regular CR. Yesterday decided to try the LE for $40 after seeing this review, and reading Davin's review on canadianwhisky.org. I like it quite a bit. My brother bought the XR awhile back and hasn't cracked it yet. Might get to try it at a later time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.