High West Campfire

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally got a bottle and can't wait to crack it open tonight.

I think this is a fascinating blend that any whiskey geek should try - what I find most intriguing is that you can spot each of the components as they weave in and out, it doesn't become a jumbled mess but more of a shape shifter where you catch glimpses of each of the components.

I think this is a fascinating blend that any whiskey geek should try - what I find most intriguing is that you can spot each of the components as they weave in and out, it doesn't become a jumbled mess but more of a shape shifter where you catch glimpses of each of the components.

I had high hopes for this one and recently had a pour in Bardstown thanks to Tom.

Overall....I wasn't impressed.

I can appreciate the uniqueness of it and that's about it. It was bizarre and off to my palate. A case where the sum of the parts weren't better than the parts themselves.....if that makes any sense. Like an experiment that just didn't quite work. Almost like placing a circle inside a square and calling it a good fit. I'm struggling to describe this in words but hopefully I'm not too far off.

Balcones is another craft distiller whom I appreciate for trying new things, pushing the envelope, and testing our ideas and notions on whiskey and what it should be. But just because it's unique and different doesn't mean it's worth bottling. Brimstone, IMHO, is a perfect example of uniqueness and success....such a difficult thing to accomplish, one that Buffalo Trace and Bruichladdie try repeatedly but often to no avail.

In the end, uniqueness alone won't earn a spot on my shelf.....you have to go a little further than that. I'm passing on the Campfire.

Bummer. I had to force myself to stop drinking it last night. And this morning my empty glass smelled exactly like marshmallows, so that was nice. :)

That is a bummer, but a great reminder that what a lot of people like won't hit everyone in their wheelhouse. I was disappointed in my first bottle of PVW20, and after tasting another at the latest GBS Meeting - decided that it just wasn't the right whiskey for me. And that was a bummer! But as they say in GI Joe, knowing is half the battle.

Looking forward to knowing whether I like this one or not!

I have had 2 pours from a newly opened bottle,the first one neat and was quite disappointed but,with the addition of one small cube in an glass seemed to round out nicely.The peat is definitely the star of the show with the rye coming in a distant second.

I tried it the other night and i just cant get into this one, the peat just overpowers everything to me.

I tried it the other night and i just cant get into this one, the peat just overpowers everything to me.

Do you enjoy any peaty type Scotch (ie - Laphroaig, Ardbeg)? Just curious if it is too peaty in general, or just the presence of the peat makes it objectionable. I know some folks who like Scotch, but not the Islay-variety which has more smoke/peat in it.

I never really drink scotch, have a pour every once in a great while. If its heavy with the smoke/peat its just not for me. The campfire to me just seems to be heavy with it. Gonna give it another shot in a bit.

I never really drink scotch, have a pour every once in a great while. If its heavy with the smoke/peat its just not for me. The campfire to me just seems to be heavy with it. Gonna give it another shot in a bit.

Ok, that makes sense now as the Campfire is relatively "light" on the peat scale.

You want to avoid any bottle that says Islay on it. :) Oh, Takisker and Ardmore as well.

Was able to pick up a bottle and cracked it last night. I was impressed. I was expecting a lot more peat than there is, so if there is too much peat for you then a glass of Laphroiag might just kill you :lol: I think all three whiskey's were nicely integrated without one overpowering the other. I wish more blenders were willing to come out with products like this, specifically with bourbon, as Compass Box has done a great job with their brands.

I did go back and try it again. The peat isnt as strong as when i first opened it ,but i still cant get into this one. I have a friend that will enjoy it though so it will not go to waste!

Reached out to Quality Wine & Spirits, Inc (the High West distributor for Georgia) and they expect to receive their initial shipment later this week - so hopefully we'll see it on the shelves shortly!! Total Wine will be happy that I won't be calling about it regularly :)

Thanks Daryl for the update from Quality - I've had several people asking me when it might hit Georgia.

I've never really gotten into the High West product line, although I do have a relatively good opinion of the ones I've tasted. Never bought a bottle, however. For some weird reason, I feel compelled to pick this one up. The mixture just sounds so funky that I think I'll like it. :crazy:

I've never really gotten into the High West product line, although I do have a relatively good opinion of the ones I've tasted. Never bought a bottle, however. For some weird reason, I feel compelled to pick this one up. The mixture just sounds so funky that I think I'll like it. :crazy:

The only taste I've had was the Bourye at the last GBS meeting, and I thought it was pretty decent - but I've only seen it for $85 and I didn't like it quite that much. Everything I've read says this should come in priced well below that, so while I vowed not to buy any whiskey for $50+ that I hadn't tasted before - this will be an exception :)

Can't wait to hear what you two think of it. My bottle has depleted rapidly and isn't long for a replacement.

I had a chance to try this at Tales of the Cocktail... but Mat completely distracted me :D

Who, me?

Well, I can provide you with a second chance...Kieran and I will be taking part in our distributor's (Pioneer Wine Co.) annual trade show series next week. It's Houston on 8/14, Austin 8/15 & Dallas 8/16. Of course, Campfire will be poured... :grin:

Who, me?

Well, I can provide you with a second chance...Kieran and I will be taking part in our distributor's (Pioneer Wine Co.) annual trade show series next week. It's Houston on 8/14, Austin 8/15 & Dallas 8/16. Of course, Campfire will be poured... :grin:

Awesome! Care to PM me the details?

Who, me?

I'll be traveling to Dallas that week - if there's any chance of snagging a taste in the evening, I'd be very interested!

As will I. What is meant by a trade show? Can anyone show up, like a tasting, or do you have to be invited?

I picked up and tried a bottle of this today. Like others have noted to you, I think you nailed it. It's an odd beast, but I find it highly enjoyable.

:toast:

I picked up and tried a bottle of this today. Like others have noted to you, I think you nailed it. It's an odd beast, but I find it highly enjoyable.

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.