Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

good buy, at that price. i never really got into barbancourt too much, sometimes seems to have less refined raw sugar cane notethat i find distracting.

i still strongly recommend el dorado, especially the fifteen year old.

That has to be the heaviest bottle I have ever encountered. The Rum is OK at that price, but the bottle is really something.

Anybody tried the newish Kirk and Sweeney rum from the DR yet? Just arrived in my local store for $30. Given I can get ED12 for less I wasn't too excited but I could be persauded to change my mind.

Comes from 35 Maple Street, the spirits side (and address apparently) of "The Other Guys" which is a Sonoma, CA based wine company that is also responsible for Masterson's Rye.

Like Masterson's the bottle is kinda funky and interesting although that so far isn't enough to get me to bite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14766[/ATTACH]

Yes, I am curious about that, how much sherry influence do you find in the El Dorado 12?

While you might find sherry like notes in the El Dorado rums it is not aged in sherry casks. The barrels are reported to be all once used American oak whiskey/bourbon barrels. The flavor comes from the unique stills and of course the time they spend on wood. Here is another link with info on the rum.

That has to be the heaviest bottle I have ever encountered. The Rum is OK at that price, but the bottle is really something.

Yes, it looked interesting. I don't like to buy something just for the bottle but this may prove to be an exception if the rum is decent! I am guessing it is made by Bermudez in the DR which is not a brand I see very often in the US. Their Anniversario is the 12yo rum so I suspect this is similar stock.

Yes, it looked interesting. I don't like to buy something just for the bottle but this may prove to be an exception if the rum is decent! I am guessing it is made by Bermudez in the DR which is not a brand I see very often in the US. Their Anniversario is the 12yo rum so I suspect this is similar stock.

Seems like I remember reading the Anniversario is a blend of Rums from several different sources, and it might be the same with this.

That's a good link tanstaalt, the lady who runs that site is very knowledgeable and posts often on the Ministry of Rum website.

According to the Master Blender for El Dorado some of the rums used in their blends are aged in Sherry casks, particularly Pedro Ximenez, and the Sherry notes are most evident in the 12 year expression. Let me toss some Wray & Nephew in my coffee and I might remember more.

That's a good link tanstaalt, the lady who runs that site is very knowledgeable and posts often on the Ministry of Rum website.

According to the Master Blender for El Dorado some of the rums used in their blends are aged in Sherry casks, particularly Pedro Ximenez, and the Sherry notes are most evident in the 12 year expression. Let me toss some Wray & Nephew in my coffee and I might remember more.

Could be. The website says it is bourbon casks. But they don't always give all the facts I suppose. A bit like bourbon distillers that way...

They're gonna have to order the 12 and 15 for me, I'll probably green light that after I try an Appleton or two.

What's the standard price tag of Mt Gay 1703? Like $100-200?

I once found a bottle for $40. You had better believe that came home with me

Squire, have you posted thoughts on the Barbancourt (spelling?) you bought the other day instead of the ED. I saw both the 4 year and 7 year today, and thought of you.

Time for my Mambo lesson so I am off to Cuba today. And that means rum!

Some Cuban friends suggested I try Varadero because they think it is better than the Havana Club. Works for me and besides I have Havana Club in liquor cabinet and I am always up for something new!

US cell phones don't work there and I am told internet connectivity sucks anyway (dial up when they have it all in most cases) so it sounds like I will be offline for awhile.

That probably won't do me any harm either...

Ray the Barbancourt 8 is very dry, good legs and scent, it's distilled from cane juice syrup rather than molasses and has a medium body, for a rum of course. In whisky terms it's more akin to a Canadian Rye than a Kentucky Bourbon. I plan to use it in cocktails.

Some Cuban friends suggested I try Varadero because they think it is better than the Havana Club. Works for me and besides I have Havana Club in liquor cabinet and I am always up for something new!

US cell phones don't work there and I am told internet connectivity sucks anyway (dial up when they have it all in most cases) so it sounds like I will be offline for awhile.

Have a safe and fun trip, Bruce. Talk to you when you get back!

Fire up a text based browser and you'll fly along on dial up!

$5 coupon day at Binny's brought an El Dorado 15 down to $34.99 so it came home to replace a departed 12. Never had the 15 before (and I know some prefer the 12) but a preliminary mini sip is promising. Feel a healthy pour coming on tonight.

Picked up a bottle of Cruzan Gold Aged Rum yesterday and was all set for comparison cocktails this weekend but the weather turned too blasted cold for anything but whisky and coffee.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.