dixie dew

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was down in Alabama this week to check on family and picked up a bunch of Dixie Dew. Being a member of the sons of Confederate veterans, I was ticked to see the label has been reworked and no longer has the Confederate flag on it, but it did not hurt the whiskey. I know HH says that all the aged versions of their corn are the same, but I tried it side by side with MC last night and the difference is quite drastic. The color of the DD is about twice as dark as the MC and the taste is amazing. It has some of the corniness of the MC but this is a much more mature product. It has a lot in common with a high corn mashbill bourbon. Stunning stuff. Wish I had picked up more. If anybody has any connections to get a bottle, I highly recommend it.

I was down in Alabama this week to check on family and picked up a bunch of Dixie Dew. Being a member of the sons of Confederate veterans, I was ticked to see the label has been reworked and no longer has the Confederate flag on it, but it did not hurt the whiskey. I know HH says that all the aged versions of their corn are the same, but I tried it side by side with MC last night and the difference is quite drastic. The color of the DD is about twice as dark as the MC and the taste is amazing. It has some of the corniness of the MC but this is a much more mature product. It has a lot in common with a high corn mashbill bourbon. Stunning stuff. Wish I had picked up more. If anybody has any connections to get a bottle, I highly recommend it.

My experience with it too, Tom. HH says it's 3 yrs, whereas the MC is 4. It seems unbelievable, as indeed, the DD is at least twice as dark. Like you say, it tastes older, too. Not as oily corn as the MC. Drier. I much, much, much prefer it to MC. I think Larry Kass attributed the darker color to the selection of the used barrels picked for each, and the variations that may cause. Bama's general whiskey selection sucks, but between DD and Virgin Bourbon being available there, they do have somewhat of a bright side. :D

Which reminds me, I'm down to my last bottle. Need to go see my customer in Albertville! :D

Sure wish I could find Dixie Dew around here. I dig the Mellow Corn but now you guys have me thinking I've got to find a Chicago-bound "mule," if you know what I mean, Joe.:grin:

I've got a half-full bottle of DD that was purchased about 1yr ago and when sitting on my shelf I noticed that it's darker than FRSmB! MC on the other hand is quite light. But I just saw another DD on a shelf that was as light as MC.

Kass did mention how the barrels used would have an effect, which makes sense. An EC12 barrel would be fairly neutral, but an EW Black would give you much more color. It would be interesting if they have a method to the madness, or whether they're just using whatever barrels are on hand.

That said, I love that dark bottle of DD!!

I've got a half-full bottle of DD that was purchased about 1yr ago and when sitting on my shelf I noticed that it's darker than FRSmB! MC on the other hand is quite light. But I just saw another DD on a shelf that was as light as MC.

Kass did mention how the barrels used would have an effect, which makes sense. An EC12 barrel would be fairly neutral, but an EW Black would give you much more color. It would be interesting if they have a method to the madness, or whether they're just using whatever barrels are on hand.

That said, I love that dark bottle of DD!!

Okay, Dog. Spill the beans, brother. Where did you get that Dixie Dew? That would really go nicely with some Mississippi Fred McDowell!

Okay, Dog. Spill the beans, brother. Where did you get that Dixie Dew? That would really go nicely with some Mississippi Fred McDowell!

Check your PMs, brother.

TImely topic. I was enjoying a small pour of MC last night and was thinking that it was pretty nice, but then wondered what it would be like with even more age.

Why can't a couple of these barrels get lost for a couple of extra years and be bottled? I think this with some age would hit a pretty sweet spot.

B

HH must want to keep the flavor profiles different for each one, and they probably figure MC is good and folks like it, so why age it longer or use different barrels. I also wonder why though DD is only available in Alabama? Does the state system own the brand or something? For years the oldest Evan Willams you could get was 6 years old. It age the 6 year old age statement in the same place where the 7 went on the bottles for the rest of the country. Wierd. I got into that Virgin last night. That stuff is some kind of fine. One of HH's best products. I think it was like 11 bucks.

On Tom's and others recommendation, I got a bottle of MC a few weeks ago, and I've really liked it.

But I was wondering how you guys best like to drink MC/DD:

Neat? Rocks? With a little bitters? In an Old Fashioned?

Also, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering if Virgin 101 is simply the Alabama version of Old Ezra 7/101.

Also, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering if Virgin 101 is simply the Alabama version of Old Ezra 7/101.

I am sure that it is.

On Tom's and others recommendation, I got a bottle of MC a few weeks ago, and I've really liked it.

Most of the time I drink my whiskey neat with a chaser of water. But last night I tried the DD in some Coke and really enjoyed it.

I just tried a touch of them side by side. Nope. This stuff has a bready note to it.

I just tried a touch of them side by side. Nope. This stuff has a bready note to it.

Ya think so? I've done several side by sides over the years and have found them to be nearly identical. But, as the Ezra is sourced, it could be they've changed their supply.

Not sure why one would think Virgin is the same as Old Ezra. The proof? Presumably, Luxco does get its whiskey from HH, but Luxco does its own bottling so, again presumably, they're getting barrel-proof whiskey and also whiskey at different ages, and deciding for themselves what's Ezra, what's Yellowstone, etc. Virgin, on the other hand, is a Heaven Hill product and bottled by them.

I think HH puts a lot of work into picking barrel that goe into their different brands. And they do a good job at it. Virginhas its own taste, as do each of it's corn brands and all of the bonds they put out taste slightliy different from each other as well. They do have quite a few barrels to pick from you know. On a side note, I am really learning that no 2 barrels of whiskey taste the same. Meaning you can put 2 barrels side by side both from the same batch of whiskey and each barrel the same and the whiskey in each will taste a little different. Amazing. Not so much does it happen in 10 gallon barrels but 53's for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.