dusty bacardi rum

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ran across a couple of bottles of Bacardi white from 1982. Fine stuff. Tastes just like a pound cake smells. I used to really enjoy Barcardi white in the 90's, then around 2000 it lost that nice cake like flavor. And now it is almost to the point of being vodka. This old stuff is outstanding in a rum an coke.

Amen brother.

A fellow SB'r and rum lover gifted me an 80's 200ml dark Bacardi. Great stuff. Thanks Steve.:thankyousign:

Don't know what happened to Bacardi since then, but certainly does not have the same "rum" flavor as years ago.

Me thinks high volumne and corporate greed. :hot:

Don't know what happened to Bacardi since then, but certainly does not have the same "rum" flavor as years ago.

Me thinks high volumne and corporate greed. :hot:

I think they went for the big mass market, and the big mass market seems to like blandness. It's comforting and unsurprising.

I think technology has had its effect on bourbon and rum. @ things besides still proof is fermenter cooling and yeast. I have it on good authority that most rum distilleries operated on fleishmans bread yeast well into the 90's. And I bet that had a huge effect on esters produced. And a lot of folks never controlled fermentation temps as well. On a side note, I recently was told that one KY distillery has just added cooling coils so they could thicken the mash to produce more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.