Jack Rye?

bjbronwyn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ive heard that Jack Daniels is going to be bottling a straight rye whiskey in the near future. This, (please correct me if im wrong) will be the first rye filtered using the lincoln county process or charcoal mellowing process, making it a truely unique whiskey!

If anyone has any additional info like a release date, please post here.

Im looking forward to try this!

Ive heard that Jack Daniels is going to be bottling a straight rye whiskey in the near future. This, (please correct me if im wrong) will be the first rye filtered using the lincoln county process or charcoal mellowing process, making it a truely unique whiskey!

If anyone has any additional info like a release date, please post here.

Im looking forward to try this!

I will correct you. I believe the Breakout Rye is made by Dickel and also given the Lincoln Co. treatment. I'm sure someone will correct ME if I'm wrong!:grin:

I don't know anything, but I doubt either distillery is making or has made a rye.

This is pure conjecture on my part. If B-F is going to stop supplying Rittenhouse for HH, maybe they could keep making something similar. Since they can't call it Rittenhouse, they'd have to call it something.

Or B-F could put out its own rye.

I think a Tennessee rye is a great idea, the effect of the charcoal mellowing might work even better than on the low-rye bourbon mash of JD or GD.

Gary

For some reason I don't hold out a lot of hope that a JD Rye would be very good -- but I'd love to see them take the efforts out of Jack Honey and try. I'd buy one -- and since Jack was probably a top-5 expenditure in my 20's behind food, gas and rent, he will always have a sweet spot with me.

This is pure conjecture on my part. If B-F is going to stop supplying Rittenhouse for HH, maybe they could keep making something similar. Since they can't call it Rittenhouse, they'd have to call it something.

I've thought the same thing. BF is not quick to launch new brands, although they could follow Knob Creek's lead and bring it out under the Old Forester brand. They might resist that because OF has so much heritage and never has been anything but a bourbon.

It has been almost four years since BF stopped making Rittenhouse for HH, so if they kept making the product with an idea to bringing out their own, we should hear about it soon. Rye is so hot right now, and in such short supply, that I don't think a new rye from such as esteemed producer would be a hard sell, even if it's a new and unfamiliar brand name.

If nothing else, I have to believe they've thought about it. It's also possible that their contract with HH prohibits or restricts it.

B-F would have been wise to continue distilling and aging rye for their own purposes. It could be used to resurrect the OF label(since while it may have heritage, most people haven't a clue), or they could simply use the JD brand, which would make more sense to me.

Do most drinkers of Jack even think about it being from Tenn.? They could simply take DSP-354 Rye, put it under the JD label and call it "Jack Daniels Original Sour Mash Straight Rye." If the words "made in Kentucky" appear on the back label in small print, who would care, as it would sell like hot cakes.

Im sure this will be under the JD brand, and for it to be labeled made and bottled in Lynchburg Tenn, they must have had this in the pipeline for a number of years. Or do you guys think they might buy the Rye whiskey from another distillery, and label it their own?

Well, initially I thought B-F might use its own rye (made in KY) and apply the Lincoln County Process in Tennessee to lend a distinctive TN note. This is why in my earlier post I said, "or B-F might put out its own rye", i.e., do an all-Kentucky rye as an alternative to any such use of rye at Lynchburg although I suppose it could be both (but not as likely IMO).

Giving it further thought, I think if JD or GD ever did a rye of their own they would probably make it from scratch themselves, 100% in TN. Being long-established and with the Tennessee origins long a point for distinction for them, it is probably unlikely they would bring in rye for this purpose although as a niche product, who knows..?

Either way I'd like to them do this and B-F too to put out its own (non-JD named) all-Kentucky rye, the more the better.

Gary

"The more the better" indeed! The number of Rye expressions from the majors is woefully small. Given Rye's growth, I would expect to see at least double the labels we have now within the next 5 years.

Do most drinkers of Jack even think about it being from Tenn.?

Have you ever taken a look into the cult of Jack Daniel's? :)

When I was in high school and college, friends who were into the stuff would quote the "Jack Daniels Old Time Old #7 Quality Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey" as a mark of how well they knew the brand.

A lot of conjecture and speculation, and anything is possible, but I don't see it. There is enough confusion about what "Jack Daniels Old Time Old #7 Quality Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey" is, and adding a rye to the mix wouldn't help. I also can't see them selling a rye made somewhere other than Lynchburg. Again, that's tinkering with the brand image more than I think they would do.

When they put the name on a BBQ sauce or something, that doesn't confuse things, but Jack Daniel's, the whiskey, is Jack Daniel's -- a whiskey, but also a brand -- more than it is a particular type of whiskey, and Jack Daniel's that isn't Jack Daniel's doesn't fit. Then again, I don't see how Porsche can put its name on an SUV, so what do I know?

They've already tinkered with a Woodford Rye, and could do the same thing they do with the bourbon, mixing some rye made at Woodford with some made at BF, to create a line extension.

Or they could resurrect some historic brand, as I know they've had ryes in their portfolio before. Or create something new.

I got a box from Brown-Forman yesterday that I haven't opened yet. Maybe it's the new rye?

I got a box from Brown-Forman yesterday that I haven't opened yet. Maybe it's the new rye?

I guess mine got lost in the mail.:rolleyes:

Chuck's right, in that the smartest thing for them to do would be a Woodford Rye. It wouldn't mess with the Jack brand, and they'd make a lot more margin than an Early Times Rye.

Woodford 90proof NAS Rye for $30?? Better buy up all the RittBIB DSP-354 that I can get my hands on!:lol:

Chuck's right, in that the smartest thing for them to do would be a Woodford Rye. It wouldn't mess with the Jack brand, and they'd make a lot more margin than an Early Times Rye.

Woodford 90proof NAS Rye for $30?? Better buy up all the RittBIB DSP-354 that I can get my hands on!:lol:

But putting it out under the JD imprint would give it the distinctive pre-barreling, maple charcoal filtering treatment. Given how energetic rye whiskey can be at 4 years old, the said treatment may work a significant improvement. Used with a rye-light, bourbon-type mash, arguably it takes too much out of the new spirit (not for its fans of course but some bourbon fans feel that way I know); this would not be an issue for rye which by definition is a heavy and feisty whiskey. It's win-win from what I can see, and also, given that we have Gentleman Jack now, SB and other iterations not to mention a honey liqueur, I can't see that extending the line in this way would hurt Old No. 7 at all.

Gary

And Shanken had the news release yesterday that BF sales were up 6% for the fiscal year and attributed to a strong performance by JD and "particularly its Tennessee Honey offshoot". Oh yeah, price hikes are coming too.

If BF really thinks charcoal filtering is what a young rye needs, they can charcoal filter regardless of the brand they choose to use. They don't have to call it JD just because charcoal filtering is used.

That's true but the added value of the historic Jack Daniels name would trump any other use IMO.

Gary

You could be right, but they'd have to make it there.

Ryes may be becoming like SUVs. Every brand needs one, even if (like Porsche) it's out of character.

Since the KBF won't allow rye to be poured, and since a couple of today's popular straight ryes are made in Canada, maybe we need to organize an International Rye Whiskey Festival.

But where to hold it? Why, Rye, New York, of course.

I know some staff at the Hilton in Rye, they're happy to hold conventions there... :D

I know some staff at the Hilton in Rye, they're happy to hold conventions there... :D

I've been there. Its a nice place. I didn't see any whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.