Old Rip Van Winkle Bottling for Blue Smoke

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know Julian made a post recently about a bottling he did for Park Ave. Liquors here in the city but I have to also give him credit for another bottling he did for a restaurant in the city called Blue Smoke. I was lucky enough to score a bottle from the restaurant, and while there got a chance to try it as well as hear some of their great live Jazz music and try their phenominal ribs.

The bourbon is aged 18 years and bottled at 92.6 proof. You can tell this was Julians whiskey just by first nosing. The flavor was sweet with a smoooooth finish. The ribs must have been aged just as long (J/K lol.gif), but seriously me and Stacy got the rib sampler. I've never had really good southern ribs that are cooked by wood, but man these were good. They were nice and pink, but that's a good thing for ribs I'm told as it shows the 'smoke ring'. Plus I got to try Memphis style, St. Louis style, and their beef ribs. My favorite had to be the Memphis, I think because they were the leanest yet sweetest of the bunch.

Oh, and as I mentioned in another post, I'm not one to go to bars or often order drinks with dinner, but their bourbon selection was great. If you're ever in the area and want great jazz music, great food and fine bourbon I definitely recommend Blue Smoke.

BTW - Unfortunately since they are a Restaurant/Bar, they will not sell individual bottles of alcohol. I just figured I had better mention that before people call there and they get mad at me for all the 'order' calls. smirk.gif

post-87-14489811187168_thumb.jpg

$21 for a drink of Pappy!!!??? Damn, that better be the 23 yo. I have had a couple chances recently to order the 20 yo by the drink and it was $12 (L'ville) and $11 (Atlanta).

Now that's a way cool looking label, there--worthy of a fine whiskey, for sure.

CL: Are you saying that the BS restaurant charges $21 for a drink of the newly bottled ORVW 18 yo? shocked.gif If so, I'll just sneak in an entire bottle of Julian's 10 yo 107 Old Commonwealth ($20) to enjoy with my BS dinner! lol.gif Sound like a plan?

The new ORVW18 is $15 a glass. Hell, I'm sure the prices here are higher than in Louisville & Atlanta, cmon' CL, this is NYC lol.gif. Hence why I don't usually order drinks with dinner... I just keep nips in the car and enjoy em' before, after, or bring them in in my pocket blush.gifwink.gif.

I'm not sure if it was the 20 or 23. Old Potrero Rye is $100 a bottle in stores and they are selling that for $20. So $21 for Pappy may be the 23 but something tells me I doubt it...

Explain me this: When I lived in South Florida (Palm Beach County, Delray Beach, 1983 - 88), why did several liquor stores have signs that say "$5 surcharge if you complain about how much cheaper things are in NY." confused.gifcool.gif

Heck, I'd ask those store owners if they ever lived or shopped in the city... I can tell you that prices in the city are naturally higher because of the enormous rent they pay. Some places have prices that are very close to out of the city, but most are more...

Or maybe those liquor store owners were just upset they couldn't make the move to the big city cool.gif

>Explain me this: When I lived in South Florida (Palm Beach County,

>Delray Beach, 1983 - 88), why did several liquor stores have signs

>that say "$5 surcharge if you complain about how much cheaper things are in NY."

I'm guessing they meant new york state. Liquor is certainly a little

more expensive in Florida than it should be.

(Being a Florida native, I have to say that one of my favorite

bumper stickers is "We don't care how you do it up North." )

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.