"Hot" bourbons

compliance
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found EW Black to be "hot" and not very appetizing. It didn't necessarily burn my throat, but there was a certain heat to it, akin to after burn of a jalapeno. I found Booker's to be very drinkable but lacking in substantial flavor. I don't detect a burn in WT101, just lots of rye spice. On the other hand, I've never drank a cask strength scotch, but all scotches that I've drank besides JW Red (which is crap) lack the burn that bourbon has.

On the other hand, I've never drank a cask strength scotch, but all scotches that I've drank besides JW Red (which is crap) lack the burn that bourbon has.

I find the same (scotch burn vs. bourbon burn) - for me it is the interplay between cut, alcoholic strength, and tannin from the new barrels. The tannin dries out your mouth, and if there isn't sufficient weight/sweetness to balance it, the alcohol/spice burn is amplified esp. over 100 proof ...

for me it is the interplay between cut, alcoholic strength, and tannin from the new barrels. The tannin dries out your mouth, and if there isn't sufficient weight/sweetness to balance it, the alcohol/spice burn is amplified esp. over 100 proof ...

That makes lots of sense - Good point!

Most of the white dogs I have tasted aren't hot. Regardless of proof. That leads me to believe that possibly what is commonly described as hot , as in alcohol burning your mouth hot, is not actually the effect or taste of alcohol at all but something else. Perhaps we get the astringent prickly burn produced by aging in a hot environment or in small barrels confused with the burn created by alcohol? A little of that character comes acroos as "spicy" and a lot of it comes across as a burn. I find it is one of the characteristics of The Taylor Tornado that others describe as hot. Perhaps it is a characteristic from the barrel and not the heat of the alcohol?

Regarding Stagg - Have you ever swallowed it wrong and gotten serious pain? - that's hot, and that's alcholol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.