The Newest Sazerac Release

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I give 'em credit for honesty. Everything you need to know is on the label! Can't believe there's a market for this though.

I'm guessing most of this will be consumed from a lightly crumpled brown paper bag under a bridge.

Wait a minute. Given the product and the label itself, this must have been submitted in 1976. Who's their audience for this??

As far as "Who's the audience?"....I'm sure this is meant for a control state like OH, where low proof spirits such as this can be purchased in a grocery store setting, similar to beer and wine. 42 proof is the standard (as well as the term "diluted") for all of those items, from whiskey to vodka to liqueurs. I "think" these items can even be sold on Sunday, though I'm not sure.

I've seen lots of these "diluted" products in Ohio in convenience stores, including brands I've never seen anywhere else like Old Dan Tucker. These must be quick-fix items since they can't possibly be consumed for their fine flavor. :rolleyes:

Federal rules require any straight spirits (whiskey, vodka) bottled at less than 80 proof to be labeled 'diluted.' Obviously, that's not very attractive, and I know of nowhere other than Ohio where these are sold. The peculiarity in Ohio is that most states regulate where alcohol can be sold based on the type of spirit, i.e., beer and wine some places, distilled spirits in others. In Ohio, it's based strictly on proof. The line is 42 proof (21% ABV). Anything 21% or below can be sold in supermarkets, convenience stores, etc., whereas anything above 21% may only be sold at liquor stores.

The bigger head scratcher for me is "Sazerac Company, Louisville, KY." What does Sazerac have in Louisville?

The bigger head scratcher for me is "Sazerac Company, Louisville, KY." What does Sazerac have in Louisville?

A quick search finds a business address of:

10401 Linn Station Road # 300

Louisville, KY 40223-3842

Looking at a satellite map, it appears that the building is in an industrial park type area.

A new stop for your next trip to KY Chuck ?

Federal rules require any straight spirits (whiskey, vodka) bottled at less than 80 proof to be labeled 'diluted.' Obviously, that's not very attractive, and I know of nowhere other than Ohio where these are sold. The peculiarity in Ohio is that most states regulate where alcohol can be sold based on the type of spirit, i.e., beer and wine some places, distilled spirits in others. In Ohio, it's based strictly on proof. The line is 42 proof (21% ABV). Anything 21% or below can be sold in supermarkets, convenience stores, etc., whereas anything above 21% may only be sold at liquor stores.

I would love to know too, as that is like the post I made on the new KT label.

There are diluted whiskeys (and other spirits) on the state list here in Michigan. Most of them are under the Deuces Wild label. They have bourbon, gin, vodka, brandy, the whole nine yards. All diluted. I've never seen them on any shelf, but they are on the list. It's not a new thing and there is a market for it. I think it is mostly the brown bag set.

There are diluted whiskeys (and other spirits) on the state list here in Michigan. Most of them are under the Deuces Wild label. They have bourbon, gin, vodka, brandy, the whole nine yards. All diluted. I've never seen them on any shelf, but they are on the list. It's not a new thing and there is a market for it. I think it is mostly the brown bag set.

In Ohio, it's an hours thing. Especially back when the state stores were truly state stores and run by the state, they were basically open 9-5 six days a week. If you wanted whiskey and missed that window, you went to Krogers and bought the diluted stuff.

The genuine benefit of the Ohio system, which is really the most sensible way to do it, it that low proof distilled spirits products, such as liqueurs like Baileys, and RTDs of all sorts, could be sold in the same places, and during the same hours, as the products (beer, wine) against which they naturally compete. If every state followed Ohio's lead, we wouldn't have flavored malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice.

One part 4 year bourbon, two parts GNS, eight parts water. Yum.

A quick search finds a business address of:

10401 Linn Station Road # 300

Louisville, KY 40223-3842

Looking at a satellite map, it appears that the building is in an industrial park type area.

A new stop for your next trip to KY Chuck ?

That's an office. Marketing, probably. Perhaps sales. HH has a marketing office in the Louisville suburbs too. But it's enough of a facility to anchor the DBA.

Does "Private Stock" have any legal meaning? Does this imply that all alcohol is from Saz vs some other producer (GNS)? Or is it just a throw away marketing term that is not governed by the label regs?

Does "Private Stock" have any legal meaning? Does this imply that all alcohol is from Saz vs some other producer (GNS)? Or is it just a throw away marketing term that is not governed by the label regs?

It's not defined in the regs. Just a throw away.

I will look for this and do a proper tasting (from a brown paper bag, of course) next time I visit fortified wine country.

Seriously, add a squeeze of lemon and some ice and you've got one tasty margarita! :cool:

If you can market it, someone will drink it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.