Cherry Marnier!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have wanted to try this for a long time. I read where it was no longer available in the US but around the holidays it was available in Canada but sells out quickly. I also saw where it was listed at the Windsor tunnel duty free at one point. Today I found some at the tunnel duty free and bought a bottle. Can't wait to try it out!

Thomas

Bought a bottle of this waaaaay back when. To me, it tasted like cough syrup. YMMV.

Took years to finish it off.

To me, regular Grand Marnier tastes very strong and immediately reminds me of drinking 151 rum, strength wise, even though it is only 80 proof!

Thomas

• 3 months later...

If you like cherry liqueur made with cognac, you may consider making your own. Although fresh cherry season has just passed us by, you can still buy some frozen Dole pitted cherries. Get 2 bags. Defrost them as per the instructions on the bag, then pour the defrosted cherries into a mason jar, leaving almost an inch at the top of the jar. Fill the jar almost 1/2 of the way (maybe more like 40%) with sugar, making sure to shake the jar a little as you pour the sugar in so it gets in between the cracks between the cherries at the bottom. You can use brown (raw) sugar too, or a mixture of brown and white. Fill it almost all the rest of the way with cognac (or another decent brandy of your choice) leaving a couple centimeters at the top. Seal up the jar and leave it on your windowsill for at least 2 months.

Now you've got some great brandied cherries for your Manhattans or for ice cream, and the liquid inside should have become a tasty liqueur. And it'll last as long as you like. Just don't lick a spoon and put it back in or seal up the jar when the top is sticky, or you'll have a hell of a time reopening it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see it working in a Singapore Sling. Now available in Michigan for $42 a bottle $40 for a bottle and two glasses. I think I need some cough syrup myself now.

Thanks for the update Josh, going to have to try a bottle and think I will go for the one that is two dollars cheaper and comes with a couple of glasses.

Best regards, Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.