Bardstown hotels and restaurants

cazolman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Planning my Bourbon Trail trip and need a little help. Looking for a decent hotel in Bardstown for less than $100. Also looking for supper for less than $20.

If you want something with local flavor, look into Bardstown's Bed & Breakfasts, many of which are quite nice. Outside of event periods, like the bourbon festival, you might have a hard time spending more than $100 a night for a room in Bardstown. You can get a list from the Nelson Country Tourism web site. For dining with a good local flavor and decent prices, try Kurtz's, although there are several good Mexican restaurants and Kelso's, which is central European. All are pretty inexpensive. Avoid the Talbot Tavern.

Avoid the Talbot Tavern.

I'll second that.

I approach Bardstown the same way I approach Gettysburg ... I'll stay anywhere that is safe, clean and inexpensive. I don't go there for the lodging amenities, a bed is a bed. I prefer to spend my time and money partaking of the cultural and historical activities.

For dining with a good local flavor and decent prices, try Kurtz's, although there are several good Mexican restaurants and Kelso's, which is central European. All are pretty inexpensive. Avoid the Talbot Tavern.

Also avoid Kelso's. The last time I was in there I was expecting exceptional gulosh, being central european and all. What I got was elbow macroni in a cup of tomato soup. Horrible. I avoid the place. I agree that Kurtz's is a great place.

Joe

I have not had a bad meal at Kreso's or a bad breakfast at Mammy's Kitchen. Lots of locals hit Mammy's for breakfast and that's always a god sign.

If you are looking for something more modern, check out the Bourbon City Bistro. You should be able to get out of there for less than 20 bucks for dinner. Their menu is online as well.

I've also had a bad experience at the Talbot Tavern, so I can't recommend anything there.

I have not had a bad breakfast at Mammy's but I did have a pretty mediocre lunch there once. I'd stick to breakfast or brunch there. The Talbot tavern is a cool old building, but the service is some of the worst I've ever had. Really bad. Not even rude, just slow and inattentive.

A couple of off the wall places:

1) For unique lodging...the Jailers Inn Bed and Breakfast. It's right at the top of your $100 limit, but you can stay in a jail cel room. We took my FIL there and put him in that room (we stayed in a regular room which was very nice but more expensive).

2) There is a sushi restaurant right across the street from the Hampton Inn (sorry can't remember the name). Was a little suspicious about the quality of a sushi restaurant in a small town like Bardstown, but a fellow SB'er talked us into going and was very surprised at the quality of their sushi. On another occasion I was hungry during a evening of tasting an picked up a large order to share with the group. Everyone (at least those that like sushi) seemed to enjoy it (at least it disappeared pretty quickly).

Tom

I too like to eat at Kurtz's but I would avoid their steak it's rather bland. Their hot beef sandwich on the other hand is very good. Vosgar really likes their country ham, fried chicken combo. How long till the KBF?

I, too, endorse the fried chicken-country ham combo. A hot brown is always good too.

Another vote for Kurtz's fried chicken which the acclaimed food and wine journalist R.W. Apple Jr. (now dead) writing in the New York Times about Louisville back in 1998, even endorsed. Oh and for all you Kentucky Colonels out there Apple Jr. in this article quotes another Kentucky Colonel, William James Lampton (Poet of the People) ''where the corn is full of kernels and the colonels are full of corn.'' :grin:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/23/arts/on-the-road-foot-in-the-north-heart-in-the-south.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

And the sure fire preventive for any possible stumbling or muttering at the gazebo is the excellent fried cod fish sandwich with onion rings at the Bardstown local outpost of the Moby Dick chain...really it's quality fish and deftly fried.

I have always had good luck at the General Nelson hotel, and for breakfast the stephen foster next door roughly, has a fine breakfast buffet. I too had a bad experience at the talbot tavern. Hell, I waited close to an hour for food. And I asked for a drink of wild turkey and it was bad. I think it may have been blened ten high it was so bad, I complained and ordered four roses and I am pretty sure it was not, but I did not say anything else, at least it was not as bad as the first drink.

We rented a cottage in Bardstown in April for about $100/nite. (Colonel's Cottage Inns). Much nicer than a hotel room. Agree with Mammy's for any meal I'm sorry we didn't find it until our last nite in town. We would have visited more than once.

Mammy's had a fire last nite. I hope it wasn't bad. I'll find out more soon.

Dang, that sucks. Thanks for passing along the news.

• 7 months later...
If anyone happens to be lurking on this thread, Kurtz is closed until 3/1/13.

Thanks BB. At least they'll be open by the sampler. Always have to eat there at least once every trip to Bardstown.

There is a good restaurant (not close) that all of us "locals" visit :) Missy's Cafe, 860 Horshoe Bend, Raywick Ky ... when you think you are lost, keep going and then... when you come to a fork in the road and you "know" you are "really" lost (keep going) gravel dirt road...keep going...you are almost there! MISSY'S CAFE! It's a little over twenty miles. Not that far considering lots of folks travel further to visit other local attractions :)

Check her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Missys-Cafe/118643724833091 to make sure she's open. If it's bad weather ~ Holy day ~ Oaks :) or Mardi Gras etc... she will be closed :) Diners, Drive ins and Dives with Guy Fieri recently taped a segment for their show with Missy :)

There is a good restaurant (not close) that all of us "locals" visit :) Missy's Cafe, 860 Horshoe Bend, Raywick Ky ... when you think you are lost, keep going and then... when you come to a fork in the road and you "know" you are "really" lost (keep going) gravel dirt road...keep going...you are almost there! MISSY'S CAFE! It's a little over twenty miles. Not that far considering lots of folks travel further to visit other local attractions :)

Check her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Missys-Cafe/118643724833091 to make sure she's open. If it's bad weather ~ Holy day ~ Oaks :) or Mardi Gras etc... she will be closed :) Diners, Drive ins and Dives with Guy Fieri recently taped a segment for their show with Missy :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.