Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky

bllygthrd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This article may be a bit technical, but it really does illustrate the complexity of a bourbon's nose.

Characterization of the Most Odor‐Active Compounds in an American Bourbon Whisky by Application of the Aroma Extract Dilution Analysis

"The whisky under investigation was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon whisky which, according to the label, had been produced according to the sour mesh method and had been stored in new, heat‐charred oak casks for at least three years. Several batches of the same product (same year of production) were purchased at a local supermarket. Mentioning of a brand name does not imply any research contact with the whisky manufacturer nor is it done for advertising purposes."

I wonder why they selected a bourbon aged 3 years?

Enjoy!

Mr gilman, where u at bro? I don't have time to read this whole thing and would appreciate your cliff notes. :cool:

Wow - very technical, but interesting! I have no idea what they're talking about for the most part as chemistry wasn't one of my favorite classes, but it makes sense that if you can determine which chemicals provide what odors you might be able to back into what produces those chemicals.

I personally love the approach that BT is taking with the Single Oak project (although I refuse to pay full price for those half-bottles as part of an experiment). I don't think it is nearly as technical as this (but could be wrong!), but does involve statistical analysis by comparing the "what'd we do to this one?" variables with the results. Might not know at a molecular level why one tastes better, but that hasn't stopped anyone from making great bourbon thus far :)

Thanks for sharing this!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.