When you're not with the girl you love...

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

..love the girl you're with.

Last night I had some nice pours of OGD 114. The second and third pours always seem much more pleasant than the first for some reason.

Tonight, just for comparison, I had some OGD BIB, first neat, then with water, then on the rocks. Very nice.

It occurred to me, though, that OGD is not my favorite bourbon. Maybe not even in the top five. Even so, it really was quite enjoyable. So, my question is not "What is your favorite bourbon?" but "What is your second favorite?" The one you turn to because your favorite is too pricey or not readily available. The one that is so satisfying that you never feel that you are settling for second best. In my case, for example, it's probably AAA. Intellectually, I recognize that there are "better" bourbons out there but I can't think of one right now that I'd rather have on a daily basis.

This question seems likely to generate a re-hash of the many 'best value' and 'budget purchase' threads, but it is still totally worth answering.

My easy townie girl is EWB, but on some nights / with some palette dispositions it does feel like I'm settling a little. When a handle is literally less than a fifth of other solid low and low-mid shelfers I can get like BT, WT101, FR Yellow, OGD, or the Weller line, and when I am a poor grad student, though, what the hell else am I supposed to do?

Edited by CoMobourbon

My "love the one you're with" bourbon is VOB BIB. She never disappoints ...

As I've said before, the TPS FR1B selection at 100 proof is just about my everyday pour. The ultimate budget bourbon at $28 a bottle, case price

When I feel like splurging I go for the FR1SB. But when I'm on a budget, OWA 107 is always willing to be my best friend for the evening.

As I've said before, the TPS FR1B selection at 100 proof is just about my everyday pour. The ultimate budget bourbon at $28 a bottle, case price

Agreed! I can't speak for the barrel picks that came before and who knows how the one that is coming up will be, but the 100 proof FR SB that just sold out at the PS was a fantastic selection. That one seemed to fly under the radar. Loads of fruit, chocolate, and rye spice.

I took the spirit of this a bit differently, and for me the answer is Maker's Mark. It is not my favorite... I maybe not even my second or third. But what it is, is my trusted companion and safety net. I know what it is, it and what it is going to taste like and it is always satisfying, and even (or perhaps especially) on those days when I don't know what I am in the mood to drink, I know it will be enjoyable.

Bulleit. Very similar to 4RSmB, but just different enough and cheaper to keep on stock at all times. Always satisfies me when I can't think of anything else to pour.

Lately, for me, it has been OWA. I can get it pretty readily so I always have a bottle in the cabinet. And, while there are a lot of bourbons I enjoy more, they always either more expensive or not readily available and I don't always have them on hand.

I have to mention Maker's Mark. It isn't among my favorites and I don't think I have bought a bottle in years. But, if I am in a bar, MM is almost always there and I do like it so I end up ordering it over, say, Jim Beam.

Scott

I took the spirit of this a bit differently, and for me the answer is Maker's Mark. It is not my favorite... I maybe not even my second or third. But what it is, is my trusted companion and safety net. I know what it is, it and what it is going to taste like and it is always satisfying, and even (or perhaps especially) on those days when I don't know what I am in the mood to drink, I know it will be enjoyable.

Thanks. You took the question exactly as I intended it.

...and you can always find it at any bar. It is my favorite widely available bourbon out there.

I took the spirit of this a bit differently, and for me the answer is Maker's Mark. It is not my favorite... I maybe not even my second or third. But what it is, is my trusted companion and safety net. I know what it is, it and what it is going to taste like and it Is always satisfying, and even (or perhaps especially) on those days when I don't know what I am in the mood to drink, I know it will be enjoyable.

FRSB really is for me what you describe MM being for you. It's not always the best bottle I have open or available to me, but it is my old faithful...

FR1B, Rare Breed, EC12, Ritt BIB, KC1B. If I'm drinking those I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

When I love so many . . . . this is tough! But lately I would say ER10 yr, which I've seen at reduced prices lately ($25 at some places - just a few bucks more than BT). When I first tried it years ago - I wasn't all that impressed, but it was also running closer to $30 at that time.

When out and faced with a poor selection, I'll go for old reliable Jack most of the time. Almost always have a bottle open at home too. Rarely the first girl I hit on, but one I know I can take home at the end of the night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.