BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was chatting with another member last night. He was having a pour of VWFRR. A little later, I started wondering to myself if it's been the BOTM yet. It hasn't, so the BOTM for this month is VWFRR.

Most of you know I like my wheaters. For the most part, I really don't care too much for ryes. They just aren't in my wheelhouse, if you know what I mean. :crazy: With that being said, the VWFRR is one of only two or three ryes that I do like. To me, the flavor/taste isn't quite as dry and spicy as most other ryes. IMHO, I consider it a pretty darn nice pour. :yum: So, without further adieu, let's here what you all have to say about VWFRR.

PS...... It would be appreciated if some of you (smokinjoe :rolleyes:) would use just a slight modicum of decorum when posting their thoughts, lest Julian get the wrong impression........ again! :slappin::slappin::slappin: Just kidding Joe. Love ya' pal........ Cheers! Joe (the GOOD one) :grin:

Just had a pour last night, probably my favorite rye and top ten whiskey. I just wish it was more widely available because I could easily burn through a bottle every few weeks.

I have sadly never had their rye, but it is surely a goal to grab some this year.

Man, what a Whiskey. It's marries the minty/spice of young rye with the warm vanilla/oak of elder Rye, but then it adds a fat sweetness, the likes of which I just don't get on other Ryes. I love Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Black Maple 23, Saz 18, but none of them can touch this one, IMHO. Also, while I do drink more Bourbon than Rye, I don't think VWFRR can be touched by any category.

I've had some rare bottlings that I've enjoyed more, possibly, but they're either dusty or one-offs. Dare I say that I think this is the finest, current regular-release whiskey of them all. Yeah, I like it.

I have sadly never had their rye, but it is surely a goal to grab some this year.

I remember when I found my first bottle of VWFRR. Kinda took me by surprise. I had to double check the bottle to make sure what it was. Hang in there man. It'll happen sooner or later.

VWFRR is a very good whiskey. What I have found is that it really opens up nicely after the bottle has been opened for several months. The fruitiness comes out after time and the VWFRR goes from an exceptional rye to a stunner in its class.

VWFRR as BOTM is certainly well deserved and an overdue acknowledgement.

I remember when I found my first bottle of VWFRR. Kinda took me by surprise. I had to double check the bottle to make sure what it was. Hang in there man. It'll happen sooner or later.

I remember finding my first bottle also, actually there were 3 on the shelf. I was VERY new to bourbon, and knew nothing of rye. Needless to say, they all stayed on the shelf..DOH!!!!

This thread gave me an excuse to have another pour tonight. It really has it all.... concentration, complexity, spice, richness with a touch of creaminess. While I can appreciate ryes on the other side of the spectrum, this is absolutely my favorite. Can't say enough about it, terrific stuff!

I have one open bottle and one not yet open. I treasure them both, partly because I don't expect to ever find one again.

I have one open bottle and one not yet open. I treasure them both, partly because I don't expect to ever find one again.

I have one unopened bottle and it will stay that way for awhile, as I don't expect to ever find another. Fortunately I've had a few chances to try it, so hopefully the generosity of others will keep me going until I can wait no more.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, what a Whiskey. It's marries the minty/spice of young rye with the warm vanilla/oak of elder Rye, but then it adds a fat sweetness, the likes of which I just don't get on other Ryes. I love Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Black Maple 23, Saz 18, but none of them can touch this one, IMHO. Also, while I do drink more Bourbon than Rye, I don't think VWFRR can be touched by any category.

I've had some rare bottlings that I've enjoyed more, possibly, but they're either dusty or one-offs. Dare I say that I think this is the finest, current regular-release whiskey of them all. Yeah, I like it.

I pretty much agree with what White Dog says. I love the VWFRR, but rarely pour it because of its scarcity. It's a terrific whiskey though!

I had my first pour of this recently in a bar and didn't come away terribly impressed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Not that it was bad, but I have a creeping feeling that the label gives it more shelf cred than it deserves.

However, for the sake of science, I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up a bottle if I come across one in the Fall.

I'm a bit shocked by how quiet this month's thread is, considering what it is. Maybe Joe's warning scared everyone away?:lol:

I had my first pour of this recently in a bar and didn't come away terribly impressed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Not that it was bad, but I have a creeping feeling that the label gives it more shelf cred than it deserves.

However, for the sake of science, I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up a bottle if I come across one in the Fall.

FWIW, there are many a great tasters on this board who love this particular whiskey, and who are also not swayed by the Van Winkle name. We can debate the merits of the Van Winkle Wheaters until we're blue in the face, and indeed we have, but I rarely hear a bad word spoken about the Rye.

It's been a few months since I had a pour but it's my number 1 American whiskey hands down...until the bunker runs dry and then I'll find another favorite but It's been love from first sip with the VWFRR.

I'm a bit shocked by how quiet this month's thread is, considering what it is. Maybe Joe's warning scared everyone away?:lol:

Whats to say? It's the best! I can't even bring myself to open one until I become a better person :rolleyes:

I've never tried it, but I have enjoyed most of the other ryes I've tasted. At one time or another, I've seen the other VW products in stores, but never the rye. I'm wondering what the regular retail price should be. I'm guessing it would be close to the same as Lot B, because they are about the same age. What do you guys think?

Age statement comparisons aside, I find it from between $60 and $70, and that's a fair price, IMHO.

I've never seen VWFRR on the shelf. In your experience, how easy is it to find compared to Lot B and the rest of the Pappy line?

I've never seen VWFRR on the shelf. In your experience, how easy is it to find compared to Lot B and the rest of the Pappy line?

In my state, Rye and 15yr are the rarest of the rare. You never see them on shelves anymore, and if you have not already made relationships with retailers, forget about it.

I've seen every bottling of pappy and old rip on the shelf multiple times, only seen VWFRR once in the wild.

These threads make me sad that I passed on some VW Rye last November. But thankfully local bar has it for $12 for 2 oz pours. Never had it blind though. Wonder if I could pick it out of a lineup.

Age statement comparisons aside, I find it from between $60 and $70, and that's a fair price, IMHO.

Not just fair, that price is practically giving it away in this market. #1 for its actual age, and #2 it's one of the best whiskeys on the market today period. I have to agree it's the rarest of all the VanWinkle/Pappy line out here. I've never seen one in the wild.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.