So I bought a few cigars...

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alright guys, rather than clutter up the "What Is Everyone Smoking?" thread I decided to start a new thread for this.

Here's the deal: I know a little about cigars. But I'm still overwhelmed whenever I go into the big walk-in humidor at Liquor Barn here in Lexington. I didn't go to Liquor Barn today to get cigars but I always stop in the humidor to have a look around. And I'll be honest, I used to think that Acid's were "the shit." But I've since learned from reading here in the smokes section on SB that they're really not. So I'm trying to learn more and be more serious about cigar smoking. Only thing is, it's something I rarely do so I can't really justify the cost of a humidor, etc. (at least, not at this point!). So I perused the humidor at the Barn today and one thing I've read in the past is that Padron is a good brand. So I had a look around and thankfully Liquor Barn had a few shelf-talkers to help me out. I ended up going with two Padron 2000's. One natural and one maduro. They were like $4.99 each. Then I went higher-end Padron. Also picked up two 1964 Anniversary's. Again, one natural and one maduro. I want to see if I prefer natural wrappers over maduro wrappers. So that's the reason for one of each. Now, I have two different types of cutters. A guillotine cutter and a punch cutter. Which do you guys think is better? Should I start with a 2000 and then later try a 1964?

ad5cdf3f.jpg

Just smoked the Padron 2000 maduro... and I'm not a fan. I will reserve judgment on maduro wrappers as a whole until I've tried the 1964 maduro. But at this point I think I'm definitely not a fan of maduro's.

I don't know much either. But I do know that generally I prefer punch cutters and maduros. I get glassy eyed in the humidor too. I've found P1 Cusanos to be reasonably priced and enjoyable.

The Padron 2000 maduro was just too strong and dirty for me. I don't really know what I'm looking for in a cigar but I know that I don't want another 2000 maduro!

OK, a couple of quick answers first.

I always prefer a cutter over a punch. When you punch a cigar, more tar seems (to me) to build up around that small hole, and also limits the draw.

As for the humidor, if you are not ready for one... then don't buy one. Decent ones have a definite cost of entry and cheap ones are... well... cheap and you are doing yourself no favors in getting one. Instead, you can make one for about $2. Get two plastic food bags (preferably the type with a "zipper"), one of the gallon size and one quart size. Get a piece of floral foam (there are two kinds, one which is styrofoam... you do not want that one, and one that holds water, it sort of looks like green clay... that is the one you want. You want a small piece that will fit in the quart size bag). Punch a couple of small holes (pinholes) on each side of the quart bag (maybe 3 or 4 on each side to begin), wet the floral foam (so it is damp but not dripping), place the floral foam in the quart bag and place that bag, along with your cigars in the quart bag, zip it up and you have an instant humidor. (if you find your cigars drying out, you can add more holes to the quart bag a few at a time until you get a satisfactory result... more on that in a moment).

Now as for your cigars. The Padron 2000s are good (not great, but good) cigars, and the Maduros are generally flavorful. However, based on your description of it tasting "dirty" I would guess that they were over-humidified. This is not uncommon for stores with large walk in humidors. Because of the foot traffic and because most people are going to carry or put them somewhere before smoking, they tend to keep the humidity higher. This makes the cigar too "wet" and when maduros are over humidified, they tend to really show the earthy (dirty) taste. (And Padron starts out with an earthy taste, so it only gets more "dirty" when "wet" think of it like a very woody bourbon that you put on ice, which then dulls all the flavors and makes it taste over-wooded).

So how do you know if a cigar is over-humidified? You pinch it (lightly), on the open end. If it is crunchy... it is UNDER humidified (which is just as bad as over humidified... it will burn, hot, fast, and you won't get the flavors you expect.) If it is spongy and regains it shape slowly, it is over humidified and you get results like you describe. If it springs right back into shape, it is about right.

I don't know about the weather in Kentucky, but with the humidity as high as it is right now in NJ, you could easily just leave the cigars out, and they will settle to about the right humidity in a day or so without drying out.

So that is the quick and dirty (no pun intended) of it... in my not so humble opinion of course.

Clavius

I actually prefer the punch over the cutter, but only if the cigar has a full cap and a ring gauge 40 or greater. It is easier for me to keep a punch on my key ring ... rather than carry a cutter in my pocket. The use of a punch also minimizes the potential for the wrapper to unravel during smoking ... and I hate tobacco flakes in my mouth.

Humidor - Google: Tupperdor, Coolerdor, ZipLocidor and/or Fridgeidor ... there are allot of inexpensive options/innovations out there that will provide you with a fully functional humidor.

Now, on to Padrons ... the 1964s were a great selection, and I actually prefer the maduro wrappers. Try the 1964 series also, the box pressed 1964s are a real treat. I'm also a fan of the Illusione line of cigars ... particularly the CG-4s.

JayMonster

Great post and answer ...

I have to say that the Padron 1964 Anniversary natural wrapper that I just smoked was probably the best cigar I've ever smoked in my life. Just silky smooth and nice. Don't know how else to describe it.

I used to buy cigars strictly from the liquor store I frequented, but I bought a few that wouldn't stay lit. The next time I returned there was an additional humidifier in the humidor, and my cigars weren't up to quality. I went downtown to a cigar/pipe store on the square. They had cigars that I'd never heard off, but the owner was very helpful in suggesting a few cigars for me. I suggest that you find a store that deals in cigars as a priority. That solved a lot of my problems.

I use a cheap place cutter. I place the cap on a table, slide it into the cutter, and cut the end. I prefer a big draw personally, but freehanding the cut usually results in me tearing the wrapper some. I toast the foot by holding the lighter away from cigar a few inches and letting the filler turn dark. Then I ignite the wrapper, touch up the parts that aren't burning, and then enjoy my smoke. I'm an amateur, though.

I used to buy cigars strictly from the liquor store I frequented, but I bought a few that wouldn't stay lit. The next time I returned there was an additional humidifier in the humidor, and my cigars weren't up to quality. I went downtown to a cigar/pipe store on the square. They had cigars that I'd never heard off, but the owner was very helpful in suggesting a few cigars for me. I suggest that you find a store that deals in cigars as a priority. That solved a lot of my problems.

I use a cheap place cutter. I place the cap on a table, slide it into the cutter, and cut the end. I prefer a big draw personally, but freehanding the cut usually results in me tearing the wrapper some. I toast the foot by holding the lighter away from cigar a few inches and letting the filler turn dark. Then I ignite the wrapper, touch up the parts that aren't burning, and then enjoy my smoke. I'm an amateur, though.

Yeah, I guess I need to find a dedicated cigar/tobacco shop.

Just finished smoking the Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo maduro. I was definitely hesitant about this one due to the bad experience I had with the Padron 2000 maduro. But while the 1964 Anniversary maduro was definitely more full-bodied than the natural, it was still excellent. Lots of silky dark chocolate and just very smooth. Between the two I think I probably prefer the natural over the maduro. But I'm not nearly as adverse to the maduro's now as I was before. I wish I could afford to buy a box of the 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo naturals! But at nearly $300 I think I'll have to pass. This cigar hobby is far more expensive than the bourbons!

Do you guys have any other recommendations since I like the Padron 1964 Anniversary?

The Padron 1964 Anniversary is a good cigar, especially in maduro IMO.

Joe :usflag:

Got a few new ones today:

-Padron 1964 Anniversary Principe Natural

-Oliva Serie V Belicoso

-Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary

-Rocky Patel Decade Robusto

Do you guys have any other recommendations since I like the Padron 1964 Anniversary?

Try Arturo Fuente. Things like the Hemingway line you will probably like (except perhaps for the price), place but some like his 858 is decently priced and more in the medium area that you seem to prefer.

La Gloria Cubana Wavells may fit your tastes as well, and but you may wish to steer clear of the Series R as they may be a bit more earthy and powerful than you would care for at this point.

Finally, the you would probably like Mayorga as well, but you will be hard pressed to find them anywhere but JR Cigars.

The 64 Padron is my favorite cigar, but at $12+ a stick can only be for special occasions. If you like them, try the '90 and '92 vintage Rocky Patels, they have a similar flavor profile and are a good bit cheaper.

May not be much help since I mainly choose maduro, but Trinidad TTT have been pretty nice for a good price point. And as mentioned before, the Hemingway line is very good to from Arturo Fuente. Alec Bradley Tempus has made quite an impression on me tonight.

Just smoked the Rocky Patel Decade. In my limited cigar knowledge/experience I thought it was pretty good. The draw was a little tight but overall I would probably buy it again. Looking forward to trying the Fifteenth Anniversary and hopefully a few others that have been mentioned here.

I just smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur limited edition. It was a Presidente (that's the size up from Churchill right?). It burned very evenly throughout its entire length. It wasn't an overly strong cigar, but it the quality of construction made it even more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been.

Went to a local tobacco shop today. Walked out with a Brick House and a Cain Daytona on the recommendation of the guy working there.

Sorry, the Cain is actually called Oliva Cain. And the Daytona I got is the double toro, sucker is huge!

The Brick House is a robusto. Guy at the store said they were great value for the money so we'll see.

I just ordered a cheap humidor from Amazon along with a better hygrometer and a Drymistat humidifier tube. I've got some spanish cedar I've collected from cigar boxes that I'll put in the humidor. Any tips for seasoning a humidor?

I was told to stick a small cap of water. In the humidor. You may need to do it a couple of times for up to a week.

Wipe the inside wood surfaces with a damp (not dripping wet) rag or sponge. Then place a shot glass or other small glass of distilled water in the humidor for a day or two. While you are awaiting that, do the salt test on your hygrometer and calibrate it. Once you are at least above 50 humidity you can start putting your cigars in your humidor.

Went to a local tobacco shop today. Walked out with a Brick House and a Cain Daytona on the recommendation of the guy working there.

I almost picked up the Daytona yesterday, instead I walked out with a Quesada Oktoberfest and a Casa Magna Colorado Torito. The CM colorado was a very nice smoke. Physically, very even burn, nice draw and the ash held 1.5+ inches. Flavor-- a little spiciness, full but not complex. Was able to smoke it all the way down without any aftertaste, IMO this really enhanced the smoke for me. And the PVW15 paired very nicely, bringing that complexity to the table. Please let me know how you liked the Cain Daytona.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.