95 Year old whiskey found

redbear
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been lucky to taste a few of these old timers. Some have been excellent, others not so much. I'm doubtful the attic kept them in good condition- and would suggest a cool dark basement as a better storage of the spirit. A really neat find tho-

Cheers,

I just read this story. They very well may be decent but with the storage conditions I doubt it.

I just had some Old Crow last week at a wedding. It was nothing to get excited about. :cool:

But 100 year Old Crow might be amazing, if for no other reason than to taste whiskey from another age. I'm glad he plans to open them when they mature to 100 years old and only wish I was there for the uncorking.

I'm just glad the guy who found it is into bourbon. I'd follow the old drink one, save one, sell the rest. I'm pretty sure it would bring me lots of good whiskey in exchange for 8 bottles of 100 year old crow...

Hopefully the fact they were under floor boards and pretty well wrapped kept the evaporation down. We have 5 more years to make friends with this guy.

Hopefully the fact they were under floor boards and pretty well wrapped kept the evaporation down. We have 5 more years to make friends with this guy.

I like the way you're thinking!! Anyone live nearby? :) I hope he does decide to part with a few, although with the publicity it has received, the price will be extraordinary.

This whiskey is all bad as it was stored on it's side. The whiskey was in contact with the cork.

• 1 month later...

I'm sitting on a bottle of 99-year-old Old Crow given to me by my late father-in-law 20 years ago. One more year to uncork! (Unless someone offers a ridiculous price based on the interest this news story has generated.)

I'm sitting on a bottle of 99-year-old Old Crow given to me by my late father-in-law 20 years ago. One more year to uncork! (Unless someone offers a ridiculous price based on the interest this news story has generated.)

Unfortunately based on the pictures you have posted in the other thread, the tax stamp strip looks significantly compromised on your bottle. Most likely, previously opened....and drained. I would seriously doubt that the whiskey in the bottle is the same that was originally put in it. Maybe, even before your FIL got ahold of it. Not sure it would be suitable to drink, or save.

JOE

Unfortunately based on the pictures you have posted in the other thread, the tax stamp strip looks significantly compromised on your bottle. Most likely, previously opened....and drained. I would seriously doubt that the whiskey in the bottle is the same that was originally put in it. Maybe, even before your FIL got ahold of it. Not sure it would be suitable to drink, or save.

Fortunately, looks can be deceiving. The tax stamp is in fine condition up and over the cork. It's that darn sharp ridge on the bottle that cut into the stamp on both sides and the brittleness of the stamp as it aged. When I received it, the tax stamp was still "intact", that is the missing section was hanging on by a thread on both sides. In the intervening 20 years, it detached.

But more than that, I know the provenance of the bottle. My father-in-law's family put away two cases of it during Prohibition. By the time my father-in-law was moving out of his house, the bottles were divided up among him and his brothers. It was in his possession up until 20 years ago, when he gave it (the very last bottle) to me. It's been in my possession ever since.

While I thought about its possible value several times throughout the decades and that I might try to sell it, I realized that the poor condition of the tax stamp would be a hinderance. Then, when the label got mangled as my son lifted it out of a cabinet and scraped the label against a sharp edge, I knew its value as a collectible was gone. In a way, that was a relief, because I knew that it meant I wouldn't be tempted to get rid of it for monetary reasons, and that I would get to enjoy it (fingers crossed that it's still good!) the way my father-in law meant me to.

Did Lew Bryson, managing editor of WhiskyAdvocate.com, really said this in the article?

"The value of antique whiskey is influenced by factors such as rarity and the reputation of the brand, he said, but it is not easy to predict, he said. An extremely rare single-malt whiskey from the 1930s recently sold for $100,000."

Seriously?

--Hugh

But more than that, I know the provenance of the bottle. My father-in-law's family put away two cases of it during Prohibition. By the time my father-in-law was moving out of his house, the bottles were divided up among him and his brothers. It was in his possession up until 20 years ago, when he gave it (the very last bottle) to me. It's been in my possession ever since.

It is great you know the provenance and that it was in your family's possession for so long. The story adds more to that bottle than the age alone, in my opinion. I'll tell you though, had they been my bottles, those two cases would have never made it to see the day prohibition was repealed!

Fortunately, looks can be deceiving. The tax stamp is in fine condition up and over the cork. It's that darn sharp ridge on the bottle that cut into the stamp on both sides and the brittleness of the stamp as it aged. When I received it, the tax stamp was still "intact", that is the missing section was hanging on by a thread on both sides. In the intervening 20 years, it detached.

While I thought about its possible value several times throughout the decades and that I might try to sell it, I realized that the poor condition of the tax stamp would be a hinderance. Then, when the label got mangled as my son lifted it out of a cabinet and scraped the label against a sharp edge, I knew its value as a collectible was gone. In a way, that was a relief, because I knew that it meant I wouldn't be tempted to get rid of it for monetary reasons, and that I would get to enjoy it (fingers crossed that it's still good!) the way my father-in law meant me to.

Pick a special occasion next year and set a date. It'll give you something to look forward to and mark the occasion when you crack it open. But you may want to invite several of us to help you out with the tasting notes.:grin:

"I'd never ever sell my bottle, but geez it sure would be interesting to know how much a bunch of good guys like you would pay for it!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.