At My Local Spirit Store

TexasPride
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They carry a lot of stuff, but they have an entire collection of "special occasion" scotches but none of the bourbons like AAA10 and such.

What is up with that?

Prejudice?

It is hard to find a good spirits store that has a very good selection of bourbon. They are out there, don't get me wrong, just not around every corner. I have been to a few, but overall the majority carry the basics like Beam White, JD, Wild Turkey 80 and 101 etc. Also, certain brands like Ancient Ancient Age are not sold in every state. Four Roses Yellow label is another example. I found that asking the store manager to see a list of bourbon they are able to order is helpful, as they can get alot of what they do not stock. But you'll have to wait however long it takes for the order to come in.

It would be worth the wait. I have had a number of conversations with the owner, and he is a fantastic guy, I'll just see if he can help me.

I have already tried most of the "top shelf" bourbon he carries.

Thanks again.

He should have a book that lists not only bourbon but all liquors he can get from his distributor. Ask him to see it, and look under Bourbons and Ryes. If you're in TX, it should be a decent list. There is an internet store online from TX and they have a pretty decent selection of bourbons and 'boutique' bourbons...

I couldn't agree more... If you're looking for a 'special occassion' bourbon, I cannot think of much that is better than pouring some of Julian's whiskey. yum.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The amazing thing to me is that every liquor store I've ever been in stocks Old Crow, Ten High, OF80, etc. 20:1 over bourbons that I actually consider to be drinkable. Nothing worth buying ever seems to be available (or at least displayed) in quantity. Are there really 20 people out there drinking the vile stuff for every one of us that has even the most basic sense of taste? Sad, sad, sad.

Are there really 20 people out there drinking the vile stuff for every one of us that has even the most basic sense of taste?

In Ohio I can honestly say. . . . .yes.

Tom(sad, but true)C

That is probably very close to true (i.e., 20:1 ratio of crap drinkers to good bourbon drinkers).

Back in the 70's, there was some very famous scientist (I think it was E. O. Wilson, but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure) who put forth the theory that there is an always has been a "1 in 20" proportion of every population who excel at anything. For example, 1 in 20 doctors is head and shoulders above the other 95%. Likewise, 1 in 20 carpenters are much better than the rest. Etc, etc.

This is probably true of bourbon drinkers, too. horseshit.gif

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.