Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

bllygthrd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Evening Chip. I did want to revisit this statement, but I wanted to wait because I didn't want my question to come off as abraisive or attacking, as I assure you my intent is only to understand. Above in point number two, I added italics and bold type to a statement you made. While I can appreciate that continous improvement is key to the manufacture of any product, how do you balance that with consistancy - particularly on a product that is very subjective and individually biased in grading quality.

If I were in your position, I would be concerned that someone would love my 2010 version, but after a few "improvements", might not like the 2013 edition nearly as much. Or they might like it equally as well, but notice that it is different and might not "chance it" on future releases. I think I would be concerned that the next batch is the same as the first, not "better" than the first.

I hope you find time to answer, and again I'm not trying to be critical, only to better understand your operations and the industry in general.

We still aim to achieve a house profile and while there may be slight variation between batches, I don't believe the change could be so dramatic that it would turn someone away.

Variation is the nature of small batch and single barrel whiskey. I believe Brown-Forman actively promotes the idea that there will be variation between batches/barrels of WR and JDSB and I don't hear about them losing customers over it :)

To that effect, I recently got to do a side by side of our first ever batch of Single Malt (11-1) against the newest (13-2). While I will freely admit there is a difference, I didn't find it to be startling or otherwise disconcerting. The newest batch was an improvement for sure, one I have no doubt a consumer would appreciate. And the first batch was not a bad whisky by any means, I enjoyed both.

Brimstone is probably the most divisive product we offer. People either love it or hate it. But truthfully, we're artists, and we desire a strong reaction to our work whether it be negative or positive. Our worst nightmare would be for someone to shrug and say "meh"

Thankfully, the general reaction has been more positive than negative.

If anyone hasn't tried it already, I highly recommend mixing with Brimstone. My favorite bar in Dallas, Whiskey Cake, makes something called a "Southern Sass" that involves bell pepper juice, lime juice, cilantro, Tabasco and smoky mescal. I have them substitute Brimstone instead and it's easily one of my favorite cocktails of all time. It also makes a mean Bloody Mary.

To that effect, I recently got to do a side by side of our first ever batch of Single Malt (11-1) against the newest (13-2). While I will freely admit there is a difference, I didn't find it to be startling or otherwise disconcerting. The newest batch was an improvement for sure, one I have no doubt a consumer would appreciate. And the first batch was not a bad whisky by any means, I enjoyed both.

How can I tell which batch is what on the Single Malt? It seems that the crew over at Master of Malt picked your SM as their favorite in a head-to-head against some big names:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/Blog/post/The-Best-in-Glass-Awards-2012.aspx

It looks like they had one that was 53% ABV.

The batch numbers are hand written on the back of the single malt bottles. They are written year-batch so 11-1 was the first batch of 2011. 13-2 is the latest batch, the second batch of 2013.

After 12-8, 53% became the standard bottling proof for the single malt.

We still aim to achieve a house profile and while there may be slight variation between batches, I don't believe the change could be so dramatic that it would turn someone away.

Variation is the nature of small batch and single barrel whiskey. I believe Brown-Forman actively promotes the idea that there will be variation between batches/barrels of WR and JDSB and I don't hear about them losing customers over it :)

• 3 weeks later...

bringing back a semi-dead topic; but i decided to take a shot and pick up a bottle, having liked balcones single malt offering. i can see why this is very polarizing. for me the nose is of smoky bbq sauce and bacon and the palate goes from smoke first and foremost to jerky/bacon bits and savory corn bread. the finish coats the mouth and stays there...for a long time.

i'm in the camp that enjoys brimstone. while i can't say that it will be an every day pour for me, i think i'll be keeping it around.

All these mentions of bacon and smoke have me hankering to try some, and my mezcal substitution attempts are not quite doing it. Anyone know where it's available in eastern WI? Last time I made a pilgrimage to the milwaukee area, late last year, I found true and baby blue, but no brimstone.

• 1 month later...
All these mentions of bacon and smoke have me hankering to try some, and my mezcal substitution attempts are not quite doing it. Anyone know where it's available in eastern WI? Last time I made a pilgrimage to the milwaukee area, late last year, I found true and baby blue, but no brimstone.

I'll see what I can find out for you

• 3 months later...

The Brimstone has been of interest of mine for a quite a while as I drink scotch too (yes blasphemy) and while I love the smokey flavors of peat (I usually drink wine finishes) I find the earthy TCP to be revolting sometimes. Brimstone seems like the best product: No peat, just straight up smokey BBQ and corn whiskey.

Winston, do you smoke your malt before distillation or is it smoked after?

Also, any idea when Balcones will break into PA? I would like to try out your products!

I have a bottle of Brimstone open. I like it. I like it much more then then Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Double Black, and Laphroaig 10 too. To me these scotches have a taste step to the smoke that seems contrived. The Brimstone tastes like Texas Barbecue. It's not trying to be something it's not. It taste like Texas Whiskey.

Ted

The Brimstone has been of interest of mine for a quite a while as I drink scotch too (yes blasphemy) and while I love the smokey flavors of peat (I usually drink wine finishes) I find the earthy TCP to be revolting sometimes. Brimstone seems like the best product: No peat, just straight up smokey BBQ and corn whiskey.

Winston, do you smoke your malt before distillation or is it smoked after?

Also, any idea when Balcones will break into PA? I would like to try out your products!

We smoke the actual whisky post-distillation. And it's a corn whiskey, no malt involved, just 100% blue corn

No ETA on breaking into PA. At this point we can barely supply our current distributors so there won't be any expansion into new markets until we up our production capacity (which we're working on!)

I have a bottle of Brimstone open. I like it. I like it much more then then Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Double Black, and Laphroaig 10 too. To me these scotches have a taste step to the smoke that seems contrived. The Brimstone tastes like Texas Barbecue. It's not trying to be something it's not. It taste like Texas Whiskey.

Ted

I'm not a fan of peaty stuff myself honestly. I still enjoy the occasional Highland Park because the peat is very subtle, but most of the heavily peated stuff puts me off.

It's fun to mix Balcones Single Malt with Brimstone... they complement each other well

I'm not a fan of peaty stuff myself honestly. I still enjoy the occasional Highland Park because the peat is very subtle, but most of the heavily peated stuff puts me off.

It's fun to mix Balcones Single Malt with Brimstone... they complement each other well

We smoke the actual whisky post-distillation. And it's a corn whiskey, no malt involved, just 100% blue corn

No ETA on breaking into PA. At this point we can barely supply our current distributors so there won't be any expansion into new markets until we up our production capacity (which we're working on!)

I get so used to a certain nomenclature when talking about scotch that I forget to switch back. Thanks for answering! Can't wait till you guys can get the supply and demand in balance so you can expand. Maybe I will have to bootleg something from NY in the meantime. :grin:

It's definitely in stock around NY and NJ. Check out www.1000corks.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.