Koenig fruit brandies

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought bottles of Koenig pear and plum brandy this weekend while in PA. I've never seen the brand before, but there are so few "real" fruit brandies on the market that I couldn't pass them up.

Any opinions on the maker or the contents? I'll probably crack them open later for a taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've had plum brandy before I decided to open the pear first.

The bottle says that it is made with domestic Bartlett pears...30 pounds of fruit are used to make each 750ml bottle. It is aged for two years in glass carboys. Perhaps one of the distillers here who has made fruit brandy can chime in on that method.

The nose is the standard unaged distillate to me with the vegetal bourbon white dog note. Nothing fruity there at all.

On the palate, there's a bit of alcohol up front that fades to a non-specific fruitiness. On the finish, the pear comes on strong after the alcohol fades away and stays quite a while.

At 80 proof, it's a very refreshing sip with a cube in the glass and for an unaged spirit, not a hint of the hearburn that I get from very young whiskies. Perhaps the 2 years in glass does help with something?

When I'm in a white spirits mood, it's a nice pour.

Edited by callmeox

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.