BOTM 8/12: Eagle Rare 10 Year 101 Proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a hard time choosing a BOTM this month. I did have a couple in mind, but decided not to do either one of those. I'm glad I didn't. It just so happens that ER 101 has been brought up lately in conversation or correspondence that I've had with a couple of members. I could have sworn it was BOTM once. I had to look twice when I saw that it hadn't been. :bigeyes: So, we're gonna pull a dusty out of the hat for everyone this month. The BOTM for this month is ER 101.

My thoughts. :yum: I've been lucky enough to have all three versions of ER 101; Lawrenceberg, New Orleans, and Frankfort. (For some of you new folks, ER 101 was made at more than one place.) IMHO, all versions are good. I usually don't post pictures with the BOTM, but I did this time. One to show the bottle, and another to show the label on the back of the bottle. I know that the subject of advertising has been brought up here on the site occasionally. :rolleyes: I thought about that when I saw the label on the back of the bottle. Take a look at that pic. Draw your own conclusions. As far as the taste goes, I do think ER 101 is one of the better bourbons ever made. It's definitely in my top five. Some folks will agree with me, some won't. Just my opinion. To me it's one of those rare bourbons that has a truly great balance. There's a bit of sweetness to it, while at the same time a touch of spice. Maybe a combo of brown sugar and cinnamon, amongst other flavors. It also has the right amount of what I call "oak and smoke". You can taste a little wood and smoke, but not so much so that those flavors overpower everything else. Add to that a semi-viscous texture for the finishing touch. There you have it, a rich, flavorful, 101 proof bourbon. Overall one darn fine pour. As I'm sure others will agree, too bad it's no longer being produced. Cheers y'all, and happy posting! Joe

post-3455-14489818125631_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489818125877_thumb.jpg

Good pick, and a product I seem to spend a lot of time defending.

BTW, is it possible to embed images into posts like it was in the old system? I haven't been able to figure it out.

Eagle Rare Old Prentice Lawrenceburg is one of my top 5 whiskies of all time. I remember it well.The other expressions of it are also good, but the EROPL is the best IMO.

Joe :usflag:

BTW, is it possible to embed images into posts like it was in the old system? I haven't been able to figure it out.

You mean like this? I use a photo host website.

Ah yes, Baby Stagg, in the pic Lawrenceburg on the left and a 1 liter New Orleans on the right.

Eagle Rare 101 is George T Stagg cut to 101 proof.

rsz_eagle_rare_101_003.jpg

Nothing like the current sweet light bourbon called Eagle Rare, ER101 is a great all around drinker. You can sip it and it holds up to some good stuff or you can just zone out and drink it without having to think about it.

I think mine is from Frankfort, the last incarnation. I was able to score two plastic handles. I've made my way through half a handle now, and have poured the rest into another bottle to rest for a bit while I finish off the last few pours from the handle.

Certainly one I'm glad to have tried and bunker.

Nothing like the current sweet light bourbon called Eagle Rare.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yep, the current Eagle Rare Single Barrel is flat and one dimensional, but when a bourbon virgin asks me what would be a good bourbon to start out on I always suggest Eagle Rare Single Barrel.

It is a good way to indroduce and have a starting base for your palate for good things to come.

Whenever I taste the current version, I'm always shocked that it's a 10yr. Drinks more like a simple 5 year with maybe a couple ounces of a 10yr thrown in for seasoning.

Great choice, Joe! I do love me some ER101 Lawrenceburg. I agree with what Oscar says - basically baby Stagg. Perfect combination of age and proof.

?ui=2&ik=3971aeabac&view=att&th=138edc342c508dd9&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1

I've had one bottle of ER101, and one in the bunker. I am not sure DSP the one I put away already was, but I can say it was very, very good. The nose was especially nice. I said it here before, but it was distinctly like one of those root beer hard candies shaped like a barrel. The palate was also sweet, but not cloying.

The one I have in the bunker is from NOLA, courtesy of Halifax. Thanks, Rod.

• 2 weeks later...
Not many posts on this one....no one drinking the ER 10/101?

Would love to, but never been fortunate enough to find a dusty.

I have sampled this a couple of times and enjoyed it quite a bit, though I don't have a bottle. I do, however, have a bottle of ERSB. It's the Harlen Wheatley signature bottle from the BT gift shop, so I don't know if it's significantly different from the standard issue. The stuff in this bottle is good but tastes like older BT. I like BT so having an older version is good but would prefer a profile more unique for ER. It's good, but nothing like 101.

Not many posts on this one....no one drinking the ER 10/101?

I've never seen one in the wild, only in pictures and since in PA liquor is state-controlled, I think nearby areas have been hunted out.

I had the pleasure of helping with a bottle of the Lawrenceburg juice -- much better than the current version.

Granted, I like Old Prentice/Four Roses' rye bourbon than BT's...

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite dusties. I always have one open and several in the bunker from each site. I've tried all three but never side-by-side but can't say i can tell a great deal of difference in them but side-by-side I might be able to. I always buy them when I can find them. Not real crazy about the ERSB. It's not bad for the price but not something I keep around. It is a nice bottle to take to a party though.

• 1 month later...

It is my favorite pour. I have all three in stock and buy every one I find. I am down to my last three of the Lawrenceberg :(

"Overall one darn fine pour. As I'm sure others will agree, too bad it's no longer being produced."

• 2 months later...

One of my buddies went home to be with his grandfather for the holidays and was given a box/gift-set of Eagle Rare 101 (Lawrenceburg) with glasses. May post pics later if I get his permission.

That's it allright, the real deal. When it was announced the brand was to be discontinued my companion and I made a weekend trip to New Orleans and cleaned out the supply from the local stores. Came back with 16 bottles, a few of which I gave away and the rest we drank. Good stuff.

Found a ER 101 decanter in NW Illinois ... it was way up on the top shelf -- needed to get a store employee to take it down. The poor eagle had a broken wing.

As I waited for the guy to get a ladder, I ran through the pros and cons of drinking from decanters. Con: ingesting lead. Pro: drinking amazing bourbon.

So having reconciled myself with poisoning my body, I watched as the employee reached for the decanter. Even from a distance I could tell that it came off that shelf too easy.

Empty.

I can't find this in my area. But I do enjoy ERSB (even though someone said its one dimensional). So if someone knows where to find this BOTM in CO please let me know.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.