Old Forester 2012 Birthday Bourbon

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have any experience with this one? I know they've varied greatly from year to year. Looks like this year's version, like last year's, is 12 years old.

Okay, the reason nobody's tried this is that NO body's tried it. And the reason it's twelve years old, like last year's, is that it IS last year's. I guess the age statement had me seeing 2012 instead of 2011. That said, and not withstanding the nay-sayers, I went ahead and picked up a bottle to try. Planning to crack it for the opening of the NFL season tonight.

I was spoiled by the first B'day Bourbon I tried (2007, which the store had hidden when I was looking for the 2010!) I wasn't crazy about the 2011, so curious what folks think about the 2012. After last year, just wasn't an "automatic buy" for me.

Found it in Bardstown, KY just in time for Bourbon Festival. Had already filled my trunk with other fun choices but may come back in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We got it in at my store. Probably going to buy a bottle of it then crack it open when I get home later tonight. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Let me know if it's worthy of actually cracking open for my Bday. Less than 2 months away!

Just cracked it open and am sampling it via a Glencairn. First thoughts are... the nose is nice but it is too "hot" to my palate. It must be pretty high on the rye. I don't think I like it as much as last years release (and I thought it was a great value). I'll try it over ice here in a few and let you know what I think then. I usually drink my bourbon over ice.

• 4 weeks later...

Opened the OFBB 2012 for the GBS event last night.

Spending some time with this tonight.

Nose: Spicey sweetness with vanilla, brown sugar notes.

Taste: Thick mouthfeel. A rye, spicey, oaky bomb with vanilla, toffee, caramel. Oaky, toasty, even a bit of smoke in a full-flavored long finish.

This is not a delicate or finesse bourbon. In your face strong, hearty, bourbon. A spicy black bean soup with onions type of bourbon.

This is nice neat. Even better with a splash as it tames the heat just a bit.

Taste: Thick mouthfeel. A rye, spicey, oaky bomb with vanilla, toffee, caramel. Oaky, toasty, even a bit of smoke in a full-flavored long finish.

This is not a delicate or finesse bourbon. In your face strong, hearty, bourbon. A spicy black bean soup with onions type of bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Got my hands on the last bottle at a liquor store. For $45, it's really tasty. I'll savor this one for quite a while! I'd liken it to the "luxury version" of the Signature. Very warm and spicy, but balanced. The long finish was impressive. I'd put it in the same league as the Wild Turkey Tradition or Elijah Craig 18.

Got my hands on the last bottle at a liquor store.

Certainly not a Pennsylvania liquor store.

Joe :usflag:

The 2012 is my first and only experience with OFBB. I agree with your notes. I'll be getting another bottle or two of this.

When I started out I really did not care for anything OF. I think as a new Enthusiasts I expected a certain profile and OF did not meet my expectation. It was only later that I came to really, really enjoy this bourbon. For me I think the OFBB 2012 is the bourbon of the year. A 12yr, 97 proof flavor bomb for $37 here in Hou. A great nose, mouth feel, taste (I get a cherry thing) and a long finish. Not the best OF that I have had the pleasure to drink but I bunkered several.

When I started out I really did not care for anything OF. I think as a new Enthusiasts I expected a certain profile and OF did not meet my expectation. It was only later that I came to really, really enjoy this bourbon. For me I think the OFBB 2012 is the bourbon of the year. A 12yr, 97 proof flavor bomb for $37 here in Hou. A great nose, mouth feel, taste (I get a cherry thing) and a long finish. Not the best OF that I have had the pleasure to drink but I bunkered several.

In a year of great whiskey releases, I agree with your take on the OFBB 2012. It was one of the best whiskies that I had in 2012!

:toast:

I have to completely disagree, which is surprising to me....my boy V and I bought this just for an Old Forester tasting night, where we had some tax stamp OF 86.8 and some BIB 100......and the Birthday '12 tasted like bananas and other flavors that were largely unpleasant. Of the 8 or so bourbons we had open that night, it was the least consumed by a group of 12 people.....so REALLY surprised some of y'all liked it.

I'm just generally unimpressed with OF, save for the handle of '85 OF 86.8 I have, that's pretty good juice.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a review of this stuff. Here are my thoughts:

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2012 (12 years, 97 proof)

Nose: Oak still predominates but is quickly overshadowed by some crushed fruits like pineapple, bananas, strawberries and blackberries; walnuts, marzipan, and hazelnuts; vanilla, cream soda, and cola and orgeat syrup

Taste: Grapes, berries, and watermelon macerated with cinnamon coats the tongue then a burst of banana, toffee, confectionery sugar and subtle oak mid palate before a mouthful of mixed nuts towards the end; very dry, clean and luxurious mouthfeel

Finish: Long with trail mix dominating; molasses and dark chocolate linger

Overall: This isn't your standard bourbon but it is fantastic! The extra malt really changes the character. I don't know if hardcore bourbon drinkers can appreciate this as the nose, taste and finish mimics more of a scotch - although you still know you are still drinking bourbon. I definitely recommend this to any scotch drinker who grabs a bottle of their favorite sherry or port finished scotches first, but interested in trying bourbon out. Fruits and nuts dominate with subtle creamy, desert wood notes as it opens up. This bourbon just hits every part of my palate that makes me weak in the knees. I want to rate this higher but at its least, it is more composed than the 2011 release and a welcomed change of pace. Let's see...you don't get many reasonably proofed, 12 year old limited release bourbons like this for the price asked do you? This is a real - extremely underrated - gem. No wait list needed - this bourbon ain't flying off the shelves anytime soon. I am definitely bunkering a few more simply because it is out of this world to my tastes but at its least, a solid representation of when mistakes go right.

" Let's see...you don't get many reasonably proofed, 12 year old limited release bourbons like this for the price asked do you? This is a real - extremely underrated - gem. No wait list needed - this bourbon ain't flying off the shelves anytime soon."

Thanks for the great review!

That's why this was my choice for bourbon of the year. Product, price, availability.:bowdown:

Let this one stand on it's own. Or if you are going to put it in a lineup, give it a fair fight.

I think I could easily put a lineup together and set this (or most any) bourbon up to fail.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.