BOTM 9/12: Evan Williams BIB AND Heaven Hill BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry I'm a little late again. Better late than never I guess. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna go with a twofer this month. Two for the price of one. Evan Williams BIB and HH BIB. Once again I realized that there's been some discussion of these on the boards lately, so I thought why not. I know there are a couple versions of the HH BIB, so post your thoughts on either/or both. As we tend to say around here sometimes, " It's all good."

My thoughts: Next to wheaters, I really like a lot of the BIB's that are (still) available. I've had EW BIB, and the white label HH BIB. Nothing fancy, or anything to make your heart skip a beat or anything, just pretty darned good bourbons at really decent prices. IMHO, a couple of great value pours.

That's it. Short and sweet this month. Let's hear what y'all think. Cheers, have fun, and see some of y'all in Bardstown next week. :woohoo: Joe

I really like this months choices,though I have never had the EW BIB due to regional distribution of this product .I have had the gold and black label HH BIB and there is not a greater value pour out there IMO.I ended up picking up quite a few of them in KY for friends,they just can't be beat for $9 and $10 respectively.I will take HH BIB over VOB any day!:grin:

I haven't gotten to try much HH bonded whiskey, but I really enjoyed the aHHBIB6 and a JTS Brown a year or so ago (I know everyone assumes OldEzra101 is basically HH Bonded, but we can't be sure, so I won't count that). I wish I had some on hand so as to give some notes, but I remember it being caramel corny, strong and sweet.

I'm making a trip to the Bourbon Trail in November, and I have two things in my sites: specialty bottles from the 4Roses gift shop, and about a case of various HH Bondeds (which I have never seen in NY; the closest we get is Fighting Cock)

I'd love to hear comparisons between these two bourbons for people that have both on hand. There's a thread or two comparing HH Bondeds somewhere but I'd love a current take.

I have had both the HH BIB and and the EW BIB and I like them both. I have told people that I think that Noah Mills is EW BIB at BP only Drew knows and I'm sure he's not going to chime in here and tell us.

Ryan Like I told you in chat remind me when the Iowa City get together gets near remind me and I will bring a EW BIB with me for you to try.

HH 6Y0 BIB and VOB BIB ... tow of my everyday pours ... and I love slipping them blind to my friends and acquaintances. Unfortunately, I have not been able to snag a bottle of EW BIB.

I was wrong in my original post. I thought that I had a bottle of the White label HH BIB at one time. I was looking though my bourbon pics trying to find a pic of Ten High Ten, and there was a pic of the 6yr black and gold label HH BIB. Must have been the white label 80 or 86 proofer I thought was a BIB.

I like the Heaven Hill 6 year BiB. It started out with a bit of new wood, sweet HH corn, and some rye, and changed over the course of a few months to include big cherry notes.

I hid the rest of my bottle somewhere (now unknown) in our storage unit, as an incentive to reorganize that thing.

• 2 weeks later...

How odd that I should come across this...I'm having a little EW BIB now. :D Good stuff, unfortunately can't get it in MD, but VA isn't too far. My first bourbon actually, after seeing it recommended on here. Still a favorite.

Strong and nutty with caramel and vanilla. Something else too that I can't quite put a finger on. Spicy. Maybe oak. Not really much of a taster, I just know what I like. :)

Sorry I'm a little late again. Better late than never I guess. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna go with a twofer this month. Two for the price of one. Evan Williams BIB and HH BIB. Once again I realized that there's been some discussion of these on the boards lately, so I thought why not. I know there are a couple versions of the HH BIB, so post your thoughts on either/or both. As we tend to say around here sometimes, " It's all good."

My thoughts: Next to wheaters, I really like a lot of the BIB's that are (still) available. I've had EW BIB, and the white label HH BIB. Nothing fancy, or anything to make your heart skip a beat or anything, just pretty darned good bourbons at really decent prices. IMHO, a couple of great value pours.

That's it. Short and sweet this month. Let's hear what y'all think. Cheers, have fun, and see some of y'all in Bardstown next week. :woohoo: Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle of HH6 BIB (white label.) I enjoyed my first pour of it last night and I'll have a couple more before the month is over. I wish this was something that was more readily available. I can already say that for the price, it would never be missing from my shelf.

I love the HHWL BIB. Mainly, I think, due to the six years of age. I would be cautious to buy the EW BIB because I think I've already had it in the form of Dant BIB, JTSB BIB, HH Gold BIB etc.. I mean, how can they be THAT different.

I love the HHWL BIB. Mainly, I think, due to the six years of age. I would be cautious to buy the EW BIB because I think I've already had it in the form of Dant BIB, JTSB BIB, HH Gold BIB etc.. I mean, how can they be THAT different.

I'll have a bottle at the Iowa get together and you can see for yourself.

I find the EW BIB (EWW) to be a bit young and corny, but that it goes great on the rocks. Nice pour when I don't want to think too much about what I'm drinking, and just enjoy it with a smoke on the back deck.

Bidding farewell to September with a pour of HH white label in a Glencairn while I switch back and forth between football and the Ryder Cup. I have had a few drinks from this bottle this week. I still think it's a really great value, one that I will definitely replace when it's gone. To me, labeling this whiskey "Heaven Hill" instead of one of their many other brands seems appropriate - the HH minty character is very present, from the nose to the finish. I get a lot of nutty flavors in the palate, a little sweetness, and a nice amount of burn.

Having gotten to know this one a little bit, I'd like to try some of the other HH BIB expressions to see what different flavor profiles they're pulling off through barrel selection.

Thanks to Joe and this thread for inspiring me to order this bottle. It's something I should have tried years ago. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I noticed a few weeks ago that EW BIB is on the shelves in Michigan!

I'm going to grab a bottle and report back with my findings. I'm a big fan of the black label.

• 4 weeks later...

My mainstays for the last year have been Rittenhouse Rye BIB (when I can get it) and the EW BIB. I sip them both neat with a little splash of water in either a rocks glass or a small brandy snifter. The EW BIB pairs wonderfully with a good cigar. I enjoy the higher-shelf bourbons, but usually buy the value stuff, and the EW BIB is the best value at my local liquor store (it's about $13). I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare Single Barrel a couple weeks ago, and personally, I think the EW BIB is every bit as good.

EW BIB and HH White & Gold BIB are all amazing values, IMHO. Excellent whiskey that is a pleasure to drink straight, but inexpensive enough to mix without guilt. I only wish they were readily available here. EW and HH Gold aren't available in the state and the White comes and goes. I have a couple of White's bunkered, but need to stock up on the others.

Is the gold BIB still produced? I've run across a few handles but they're all dusty, stating DSP-KY-31. Also, what's the difference between White and Gold? Age? Or, since BIB, all 4 years, just barrel selection?

Ok, I think I found it, white is 6 years, gold 4.

Edited by Young Blacksmith

Is the gold BIB still produced? I've run across a few handles but they're all dusty, stating DSP-KY-31. Also, what's the difference between White and Gold? Age? Or, since BIB, all 4 years, just barrel selection?

Ok, I think I found it, white is 6 years, gold 4.

Plenty of current gold in Minnesota. And yes, the white label is 6 years old.

Are you sure the bottles you're seeing are dusties? If I'm not mistaken they still bottle it at DSP-31 and maybe that's all they need to list since they own both. I don't have one in front of me but I'm pretty sure the bottles I buy don't list DSP-1 on them.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.