Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve Canadian Handcrafted Whisky

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is the latest from John Hall of Kittling Ridge Distillery (Grimsby, ON). Both the name and hang tag suggest a bold, pot still-like character and indeed the bottle delivers. The taste is big and more impactful than any Canadian whisky I know except Wiser's Legacy. It reminds me to a degree of the older CC's and the Special Reserve of Crown Royal, but with less neutrality.

It's all toffee, nuts and fruity-rye grains, with a smooth mouth feel indeed. Still at the end is a grain spirit-like twang, which reminds that it is not a straight in U.S. terms but nonetheless cuts quite a swath here. Well done Mr. Hall.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Wade, I'd bring you one but it looks unlikely I'll be at KBF upcoming. :( But next time if you can't find it Stateside.

Gary

Wade, I'd bring you one but it looks unlikely I'll be at KBF upcoming. :( But next time if you can't find it Stateside.

Gary

Gary, When John was getting started, Texas was his largest market in US. For some strange reason, we drink a lot of Canadian whisky here. All the other Forty Creek limited stuff has been fairly easy to get here in the past. Thanks!

Good to know that or be reminded rather, and (to me) it kind of connects to the popularity there of the Weller brands, in that both are lighter in palate than traditional, rye-recipe bourbon but offer a more pronounced palate than the ubiquitous vodka or the typical American blended whiskey.

The Forty Creek brands are, I would say, half-way between regular Canadian whisky and a wheat-recipe bourbon in intensity, so it all kind of makes sense, you have a gradation of flavors depending on what strength of liquor (in taste) people want. This new Copper Pot Reserve is at the top end of flavor intensity for Forty Creek though, impressive stuff. You can see the connection to some of the other brands in the range but it's all amped up as the ad copy says.

Gary

This is next on my shopping list. Have you tried the Wiser's Small Batch 43.4%? This one is also really big on flavour and also under $30.

I agree, excellent product. Still more on the mainstream side than this new Forty Creek, or Wiser's Legacy, but very good still and good value for sure.

Gary

I have had the barrel select but have yet to see the copper pot reserve in my area. I bought the barrel select after reading about John in Whisky Advocate. I liked the barrel select and thought it had a taste that was very different from other Canadian whiskys I have tasted. When it becomes available around here I will probably pick up a bottle of the copper pot reserve.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is a winner in my book. Like all Forty Creek whiskies, took a while to grow on me, but I will certainly be buying it again. Very similar to Barrel Select but with less/no sherry influence, so more of a "pure" expression of the distillery character.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.