It takes a village of drinkers.

SWC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Please offer some suggestions on a few Canadian whiskies for some moderately experienced palates. $20-30 range is the goal, but nothing over $50 bucks. USA avalibilty.

Thanks boys (and gals, all 5 of you)

I agree with sutton. Forty Creek is an excellent Canadian distillery. Their Barrel Select is a good entry-level whisky, but their higher-end releases (Confederation Oak Reserve, John's Private Cask, Port Wood Reserve) are especially great.

Alberta Premium is also an excellent Canadian whisky to start with (especially to compare with the Forty Reek Barrel Select), and Wiser's Legacy is a superb "premium" offering.

You might want to check here for a number of reviews from an excellent source, Davin de Kergommeaux.

I have enjoyed the couple of bottles of Crown Royal Lot 16 that I've had. It'd pretty sweet (aged in cognac barrels) but I think it's interesting and fun. The problem with that offering is the variability in price. I've seen it for $29 and I have seen it for $129. For the former price, I believe it is worth it. For the latter, I would pass.

I agree with sutton. Forty Creek is an excellent Canadian distillery. Their Barrel Select is a good entry-level whisky, but their higher-end releases (Confederation Oak Reserve, John's Private Cask, Port Wood Reserve) are especially great.

Alberta Premium is also an excellent Canadian whisky to start with (especially to compare with the Forty Reek Barrel Select), and Wiser's Legacy is a superb "premium" offering.

You might want to check here for a number of reviews from an excellent source, Davin de Kergommeaux.

Thanks for the info. My bottle of Forty Creek went over very well at a dinner party not long ago and you can't beat the price.

Agreed! I think that Forty Creek Barrel Select and Alberta Premium—which you should definitely try for the sake of contrast with the Forty Creek—are two of the best value pours in whisky. Forty Creek has also launched a new pour, Copper Pot Reserve, positioned just above the Barrel Select. From the sounds of it, it should be pretty good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

My son likes Canadian whiskies, and they're what I cut my teeth on many a year ago. I still enjoy them from time to time. Currently open on my cabinet for my son/me are; Canadian Mist Black Diamond, Crown Royal, Canadian Club and Gibson's 12 Year Old. All are pretty good except for the regular CC. It's just so-so. I've also had and liked Forty Creek Barrel Select, Crown Royal Black, Crown Royal Cask 16 and Crown Royal SR. Some time ago, many of the liquor stores in my area were blowing out Cask 16 at half price. It was normally around $100, and they were on sale for $49.99 at most places. I guess the distributors had an incentive going on. A free case of Cask 16 for X number of cases of regular Crown Royal that were purchased. I bought a bottle for myself, and one for my son. I probably should have bought at least a couple of more. My son had a party not too long after I bought those bottles. His Cask 16 disappeared that night. My bottle disappeared shortly after that. The next time my son came over, my bottle went home with him. After all, what are father's for? :lol:

• 3 months later...

Have any of you tried Forty Creek Double Barrel Select? I saw it today but didn't feel like dropping money on something at this price point on a whim:

As suggested up-thread Forty Creek makes some of the best Canadian whiskies on the market today - DB Reserve is one of them. It sells for $60 in Canada (one of the most expensive places to buy alcohol in the civilized world. LOL) but is usually on sale for $55. If I lived in the US (where alcohol is much cheaper than in Canada) I would pass at 78 bucks. I'm certain there are better whiskies at much higher proof for lower price pretty much everywhere in the USA.

Edited by portwood

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately for me, my state has distributors that jack up the price due to lack of competition & the state takes about 25% in taxes on top of the already high prices - I will look elsewhere to purchase this bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.