Prichard's Rum

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone had an experience with this rum? I have a bottle that I was given. Its distilled in TN. Its aged two years in 15 gallon new charred oak barrels and made from New Orleans molasses as the source of sugar. The molasses and char give a really rich, vanilla and toffey taste. Its distilled in Copper Pot Stills, custom made in the US and bottled 80 proof. Its distinctly different from any other rum I've tasted. It does have an unusual finish with a medicinal (clove,menthol) aftertaste. Overall not bad, but definitely different.

post-51-1448981118899_thumb.jpg

No, I've never seen it, but do you know how much that goes for? Jsut wondering because my mom usually drinks rum and that would be something different to get for her as a gift. Vanilla and toffee, sounds tasty but I don't know about that finish you describe... Does the 'medicinal' finish kind of ruin the whole thing or is it still something you'd recommend?

Mark,

It's not unpleasant at all, but definitely different in the Rum world. This libation is like a cross between bourbon and rum. I bet this would make an outrageous Bananas Foster. I think it runs around $27/bottle but don't know about the availability.

Good Luck

drinking.gif

Thanks for the info Ed. Sounds very interesting. I'll have to try and search out a bottle for the hell of it. It'll be a unique gift and in the process one I can try for myself, haha. Thanks again for the info.

When I want something in the rum category that goes beyond Bacardi, I usually go with one of the Jamacian rums, such as Appleton or Myers. Appleton has a number of "special" bottlings that might make a good gift.

Hmm, she sometimes 'treats' herself to a bottle of myers that I must say I enjoy too, it is so 'buttery' to me... I've heard of Appleton's but have never tried it. I just may get her a bottle of that too, thanks Chuck. smile.gif

Mark,

As I've mentioned before, I learned of Appleton Estate rum when I read Colin Powell's autobiography. He says it's the drink of choice at all Powell family gatherings.

I found the Extra bottling to be enjoyable when drunk neat and of possible interest to other bourbon drinkers, but quite a bit sweeter than bourbon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that post! Thanks for the link to the site, I'm definately going to check it out.

Mark,

You are welcome.

I found their website annoying. It took me several tries to find the link to display the product line. They are more interested in pushing their version of "drink of the week" for the young crowd, I suppose.

Yours truly,

Dave "Master of the forgettable post" grin.gif Morefield

I discovered Appleton Rum on a trip to Jamaica about ten years ago. We were staying at an "all inclusive" resort. That means drinks are included, but it also means the bar is basically stocked with generic items only, i.e., the whiskey was drek. The only decent "brand name" products on offer were local ones: Red Strip Beer, Appleton Rum and Tia Maria Coffee Liqueur. I developed a liking for all three.

Mark,

Good Luck in your search. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this product.

cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.