Goose Island Hits Georgia

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 months later...

I just read this weekend where A-B Inbev just put in one of their executives to run Goose Island. The former CEO has stepped aside to create a "Craft Advisory Board". Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

I just read this weekend where A-B Inbev just put in one of their executives to run Goose Island. The former CEO has stepped aside to create a "Craft Advisory Board". Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

Passing through the store today to pick up the Heavy Seas 2012 Below Decks Barley Wine and there was the Goose Island on the shelf. They had the Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques and Pepe Nero available. $11.29 a four pack or $2.99 for a single! So much for an introductory special to build a following. Seems a bit spendy to me.

post-8493-14489818423489_thumb.jpg

I suppose of the four the Pere Jacques is the one of most interest since I enjoy the Westmalle Dubbel that it supposedly is trying to emulate. Might have to break down and give it a try so that I can defame it with first hand knowledge or eat my words about what A-B InBev is doing to craft beer.

I suspect it is too late for that. A-B InBev seems to have the midas touch when it comes to profits but the "anti" midas touch when it comes to beer, at least when it comes to the US market where it seems to turn everything sold in the US into a Budweiser clone.

The list of what they have their fingers into is pretty extensive. If it is not made outside the US I am inclined to not bother with it. Beck's and Bass sold in the US for example are now made here and seem to be the worse for it unless you can find the European made version.

Let's hope not here, Bruce. I was reading more today regarding the "A-B Craft Advisory Board" I mentioned. A-B InBev's VP of North American Finance was also appointed to that board...That may be telling...

Did I hear right that A-B has already move the brewing of some GI beers to other A-B breweries?

Let's hope not here, Bruce. I was reading more today regarding the "A-B Craft Advisory Board" I mentioned. A-B InBev's VP of North American Finance was also appointed to that board...That may be telling...

Did I hear right that A-B has already move the brewing of some GI beers to other A-B breweries?

According to this article, the 312 Urban Wheat Ale has already been moved to New York to "free up room" at the Chicago brewery according to the founder who of course has now been kicked upstairs (or out the door?). He claims that it will all come back to Chicago when they build a new facility but that somehow seems unlikely. Two others are now brewed in New Hampshire.

I just have a hard time believing you can do a true "craft" beer on a massive scale, especially in this country and especially with this company. Might have to try that Pere Jacques for myself though just to see.

Another ominous sign.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I've had the opposite experience to Clavius. I think the Matilda and Sophie are fantastic examples of Belgian-style American beers, even in the post-AB purchase era. By contrast, I've found Père Jacques to be so-so. I also sampled the Lolita a few months ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

Decided to pick up the Pere Jacques and give it a trial run. At nearly $3 a bottle it needs to be pretty good to make it worth the cost and since it falls into the Belgian Dubbel category I will throw it up against a Westmalle Dubbel to see how it holds up. Don't know if I will get a chance this evening but if not then hopefully tomorrow night. May pick up a Achel since it is the same ABV or a Rochefort 8 which is a bit stronger to throw into the mix as well. I suppose a fairer comparison might be another US version of a Dubbel like Ommegang Ale so might look for that as well.

Picked up a few worthy competitors for the GI Pere Jacques and will have a little comparson tonight or tomorrow. 4 of the top 8 dubbels from Beeradvocate. The Pere Jacques weighs in at #18. Now I don't put a ton of stock in these ratings but it is a place to start!

#2 Rochefort 8 - $4.99 for a 330ml

#5 Ommegang Abbey Ale Belgian style dubbel - $6.99 for a 750ml so about $3.07 for 330ml

#7 Achel Bruin - $5.39 for a 330ml (spendy little SOB! Then again they are all a bit spendy.)

#8 Chimay Red - $4.39 for a 330ml

Was looking for the St. Bernardus 8 to have a Belgian but non trappist version but couldn't find it. I have some #4 rated Westmalle Dubbel at home so I may add that. I also have a single bottle of #1 rated Westvleteren 8 but I think I will keep that for another occasion!

Picked up a few worthy competitors for the GI Pere Jacques and will have a little comparson tonight or tomorrow. 4 of the top 8 dubbels from Beeradvocate. The Pere Jacques weighs in at #18. Now I don't put a ton of stock in these ratings but it is a place to start!

#2 Rochefort 8 - $4.99 for a 330ml

#5 Ommegang Abbey Ale Belgian style dubbel - $6.99 for a 750ml so about $3.07 for 330ml

#7 Achel Bruin - $5.39 for a 330ml (spendy little SOB! Then again they are all a bit spendy.)

#8 Chimay Red - $4.39 for a 330ml

Was looking for the St. Bernardus 8 to have a Belgian but non trappist version but couldn't find it. I have some #4 rated Westmalle Dubbel at home so I may add that. I also have a single bottle of #1 rated Westvleteren 8 but I think I will keep that for another occasion!

Any Rochefort is a win. Damn good beer.

Any Rochefort is a win. Damn good beer.

Agreed. The Rochefort 8 is one of my all-time faves. Never fell in love with the Westmalle, though. I think it needs some real age on it to perform at its peak.

Agreed. The Rochefort 8 is one of my all-time faves. Never fell in love with the Westmalle, though. I think it needs some real age on it to perform at its peak.

I plan to test them blind so that I am not overly influenced by the label. I agree that the Rochefort line is superb (and much easier to get than Westvleteren but most things are) and would expect it to win. But I have never tried this group in a blind taste test.

Last night was the blind taste test of the GI Pere Jacques against 3 competitors. I managed to forget to put the newest bottles in the refrigerator (didn't want any of them real cold but was trying to bring them down to Belgian monastery cellar room temperature!) so I ended up with the four selections pictured.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - Belgian dubbel style American ale

St. Bernardus Prior 8 - Belgian non trappist dubbel (found it already refrigerated on last trip out to get ice and other necessities for the evenings activities)

Goose Island Pere Jacques - AB InBev's newest entry in the widely distributed "craft" beer market that positions itself as a Belgian dubbel style

Achel Bruin - Trappist Dubbel

4 different people in addition to myself played along. I set it up so I knew what was what but nobody else did. All poured a reddish brown although the Achel was the darkest of the group. From the picture you can see the GI maintained almost no head whatsoever while the Achel was almost overly exuberant.

The clear winner (5 for 5) was the Achel. The St. Bernardus and the GI were a close second and third (essentially a toss up) while the Ommegang finished in a close fourth. None of the beers was one that would not be bought again by the other tasters. For me the GI was easily fourth. It had the same flavor profile but was much more muted, almost flat. The St. Bernardus was the most different in flavor while the Achel had the best mouthfeel and roasted malt flavor.

I probably won't seek out either the GI or the Ommegang again but the St. Bernardus was a nice ale that is worth future consideration.

post-8493-14489818431119_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818431119_thumb.jpeg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.