What can you do without?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This idea came to me after a couple posts in the WAYDN thread. What is in your cabinet/bunker right now that you can do without? Maybe it is space considerations that are forcing you to choose, or maybe it's a bottle you don't really like, but can't bring yourself to pour out. At the moment I am trying to get rid of some Weller Antique tongue.gif and a bottle of Ten High. I need room for stuff i'll actually drink lol.gif

First thing that came to my mind was about my Elijah Craig 12 yr. Ironically, that was my "every day" bourbon, until I stumbled upon the darkside of this board. While enjoying a nice pour recently, I was suddenly aware of the taste of acetone! Curse you all!

Just kidding, esepecially since it was on the advice here of many that I've developed a tate for Evan Williams SB and my recently aquired Weller 12 yr. Yum, and what a bargain! If only it was readily available here in NJ!

The RR will stick around for when my brother stops by. He prefers the spicy WT.

Interestly, I think that opinions on this board are split on these two offerings (EC12 and RR) more then any other two bottlings discussed. Except for possibly Dickel.

Hmmmm....that's a good question Jeff. For once, I've got a cabinet mostly full of favorites which sure does make it difficult when it comes time to have a drink. yum.gif

But I would have to say Evan Williams Single Barrel 1993. I DO like this bourbon and find it to be very smooth and light...a nice change from full flavored drinks like OFBB and WT KS. But at times I catch myself thinking that something is missing from this bourbon. I find it somewhat unimaginative or uninspiring. As far as "lite" bourbons go, I have enjoyed the EWSB '91 and Four Roses 80 proof much better.

-Troy

I am trying to make room for WL Weller 12 yo (1.75), moving Buffalo Trace from 1L to 1.75L, and reducing the amount of bourbons to two rows deep. (Starting a small third row really crowds the cabinet and makes the door difficult to close.) Most of the new emphasis is on less expensive great value bourbons.

If I werent't saving it for mixers when friends are over, it would be the Old Forrester 100, which I recently commented had fallen off my short list of everyday pours. Elijiah Craig 12 yo will be taking over its everyday pour duties.

As I mentioned in the WAYDN thread, Old Fitz 1849 is out the door. I still like it, but I need room.

Recently, I finished off AAA 10 yo to make room. I do like this bourbon, but I think I'll use Old Fitz BIB for the easy drinking bourbon. Old Fitz is a sentimental favorite because we had it around the house when I was a kid.

I want to finish and get rid of this damn bottle of Basil Hayden's. I keep trying to drink it so I can finish it off, but every time I do something else calls my name! I bought the BH a long time ago when I was first getting into bourbon. Back then it was good, but now that my tastes have changed dramatically, I can't stand it. Not to mention it is WAY overpriced for what it is...

I can't seem to EVER find the bottom of my 1.75L bottle of Maker's Mark. Actually, none of my (drinking) friends are bourbon afficionados, so to them it's a top-shelf offering. The dang thing just never gets emptied!

Basil Hayden's (HADES?) and Rittenhouse Rye 10YO. I think these two may be round for some time to come! Elijah Craig 12 did not tickle my fancy as I thought it might.

You live and learn.

I can definitely do without a 750 of old crow that i have... I wonder i can use it to remove tar from behind the wheels on my car... one sip, cap was back on and it was into a cardboard box with the other 'rejects'... I at one point went around buying all the cheaper bourbons i could find around me, hoping to find something surprising...

Unfortuantely most of them weren't even deserving of the small amounts of money that they cost...

-Chris

The only bourbon I own that I just can't bring myself to drink is a bottle of McCormick that has probably been in there for ten years.

I don't currently have anything that I just want to get rid of. I am just about to finish up a 1.75L of Old Forester 100, but it will most likely be replaced, sooner or later.

I have just about decided to stay upscale a little more, though. I would so much rather have OFBB or Woodford Reserve than OF 100, and Rare Breed than WT101, etc. Why bother with their "little brothers"? My wife really only looks at the number of bottles, not the prices. banghead.gif

I haven't made this break, yet, but I've been thinking about it for a while.

Tim

OMG, that crap is nasty. I bought a 1.75 of it (something like $8 at a base in VA) to use for filling up 2 empty bottles I had just for display purposes. I figured why not try it in the process, wrong! And it was even to light in color to represent bourbon, so down the drain it went... I think it said something like aged 4 years in used oak barrels... Guess I should have read that first before even buying it, absolutley horrid...

It may sound like Blasphemy around here, but I have had 1/2 a bottle of Knob Creek fo about 16 months now that I havent been able to finish, it is the only bottle in my collection that hasnt beent touched for so long that it is gathering dust. . .

TomC

I say use it as paint thinner, as that's what it tastes like lol.gif

It may sound like Blasphemy around here, but I have had 1/2 a bottle of Knob Creek fo about 16 months now that I havent been able to finish

Knob Creek is another bottling I can't understand the SB.com fascination for...in every tasting I've ever done it's come in dead last (against other small batch bourbons that is...)

I even had my in-laws (who are relative novices) do a tasting limited to the Beam products, and they both ranked them in this order:

1. Booker's

2. Bakers

3. Basil Hayden

4. Knob Creek

I have a bottle of WT 80 that never seems to get opened. It keeps moving back in the cabinet. With all the other WT products being so good, I just keep reaching for the RB, RR, KS or even the 101 before I consider the 80. I just may have to fill the fruit soaking jar with cherries again and make a batch of infused bourbon. That's how I got rid of some Ten High and Benchmark.

cool.gif

I think WT80 is a good entry level bourbon for people who might not have any experience with high-proof spirits. I was weened on WT80 and Maker's Mark. Of course we move on, but WT80 still has a special place in my heart. Damn, I'm tearing up frown.gif It's also a good mixer to keep on hand for friends and family.

Jeff,

Agreed. It just seems to be getting ignored. I never really thought about it until you started the thread. As football season approaches, I just might fill a flask with WT80 for the game. Go Big Blue!!!

[image]C:\Documents and Settings\phalee00\My Documents\My Pictures\thumbsup.gif[/image]

One Cube, I know what you mean about the Maker's Mark. Mine doesn't end either. When it's gone, it's gone. I'd also drop Jim Beam Black from my shelf.

Bob

Well, Tom, I am thinking about starting a Knob Creek disposal service. From the responses you are getting, it looks like business might be brisk. lol.gif

Tim

It may sound like Blasphemy around here, but I have had 1/2 a bottle of Knob Creek fo about 16 months now that I havent been able to finish, it is the only bottle in my collection that hasnt beent touched for so long that it is gathering dust. . .

Here's a suggestion, Tom. Just dump it out! lol.gif

I have not paid for a bottle of JB in many years. Today I bought a bottle of JB Black to see if I was missing something. I'm not. It will take a while to drink this one.

Jeff,

Several candidates come to mind, and if I were to crawl around in my closet floor, I might find others that are literally forgettable.

1. Jefferson's Reserve -- Not a bad bourbon, but having it around reminds me that I foolishly spent way too much for it. I consider it a reasonably good $18 pour. The bottle surely is beautiful, though.

2. Jim Beam rye -- The best I can say about this one is at least it's not as noxious to my taste as Old Overholt, which I will also never buy again. For Rye and Ginger, it's Wild Turkey rye for me, and for sipping neat it's Van Winkle Family Reserve. There's no role left for the JB.

3. Evan Williams Single Barrel '92 -- I like the EW black label better, and it's at least $10 less a bottle.

4. Kentucky Pride -- Comments similar to No. 1, above, except that it wasn't nearly as over-priced, and the bottle looks tacky to me.

5. Elmer T. Lee -- I suspect that this is actually a great bourbon, but it just isn't to my taste. I recall enjoying my first bottle, but this one has tasted unlike bourbon from the first drink. (Lavoris, anyone?) I can't make myself dump it, but I'll surely be glad when it's gone.

6 Knob Creek -- I actually like this bourbon about every other time I drink it, but it's the one quality bourbon that I can find at more bars than any other. Why bother to stock it at home?

7. Various Tennessee Whiskies (all of the ones that lack vitamin content grin.gif ) -- I'll probably finish the Gentleman Jack, which was a fave until I rediscovered bourbon, but I expect that the No. 7 and the Single Barrel will become my heirs' problem someday.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Just dump it out!

But I paid like $30 for it, I would feel bad just dumping it out. In all seriousness it makes a pretty good manhattan, I just keep forgetting its back there in the search for sumthin' better.

TomC

Dave, regarding the Jim Beam Rye, consider employing it in the Sazerac Cocktail. This is rye whiskey with a slight amount of sugar (or syrup) added, bitters (Angostura or, in New Orleans, home of the Sazerac, Peychaud's Bitters) and Pernod (originally absinthe) or other anise-flavoured drink.

Often, one is enjoined to add a splash of the Pernod first and then toss from the glass, so it coats the inside of the glass but not more. Old Overholt answers well in a Sazerac, too. Traditionally, the drink was served neat, and is best that way in my view.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.