Got ?s for WhiskyFest?

LewBryson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can't make any promises, but if any of you are NOT going to WhiskyFest next week and have questions for distillers... Pass 'em along and I'll see what I can do about asking them. The major U.S. distillers will be there, and they're pretty affable at this event.

I may be busy, I may be a bit loaded, and I am definitely a bit forgetful, but I'll be in an interviewing reporting mood, so what the hell. One thing: try to stick to American spirits.

Post 'em here or e-mail me at beerfly@prodigy.net

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

For the sake of all bourbon lovers, stay on both Heaven Hill and Sazerac about how are they going to preserve the integrity of the Old Fitzgerald and Old Weller bourbons? That Stitzel-Weller wheated whiskey has always been one of my favorites. It was first recommended to me by a Kentucky friend who worked there early in his career, when Pappy was still running things, and who swore by Old Fitzgerald. I pretty much have a working bottle of that whiskey in one of its incarnations in my pantry at all times. Wheated whiskey is like the Apple Computer of the bourbon business. It's a small segment of the market, but the people who like it won't give it up without a fight.

- chuck

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Lew,

Just thought I'd pass along this tidbit. A group of us are meeting at Park Ave. Liquors at 3pm. Herb has agreed to pass along at least a 10% discount to our group. I'm sure if the purchases reach critical mass, he may become more generous.

Are you attending as an interested "civilian" or is this a paying gig from MA? If you're on your own time, we should try and hook up. I know for sure that a small subgroup are going to hit the smoking lounge at 8pm. Send me a private email to work out the details.

Cheers,

Bushido

You guys going to Whiskyfest be sure and come by table #5 for a drink of 13-Year rye, 23-year "Pappy" or 15-year "Old Rip".

Julian

Uh, since I'm not going to get to the Whiskeyfest, maybe you could just send me a bottle of Pappy?

--Jeff Frane

Nice try, Jeff!

But now that you mention it, somehow a bottle of 15 YO Van Winkle wound up in my luggage (along with three others). It's a mystery...

Lew Bryson

Chuck--

I put your question/plea first to Larry Kass ("brown goods" brand manager at Heaven Hill): "Is Old Fitz going to stay the same?" "Absolutely," was his firm reply. "We will do it the same in every way. Parker [beam] just mashed with wheat for the first time in his life last month," he said, and Parker turned around and confirmed it. I asked Chris McCrory at Buffalo Trace the same question about Weller, and he said, "Yes, definitely, we will recreate the process down to the smallest detail."

Keep 'em crossed. BTW, Chris also said that Ancient Age will NOT be dropped, in fact they've put money into revamping the package on the AAA 10 year old.

Lew Bryson

Good news. Parker hasn't used wheat before, but his new distillery has and it's a highly computer-controlled operation, so it shouldn't have been too difficult. If Buffalo Trace can also execute a wheat formula, that's good news too. They both probably have a good stock of Stitzel-Weller whiskey to use down first.

- chuck

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.