Four Roses Tour - Excellent!

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would figure that too, but I remember reading that they are allowed up to like 9% of their total concoction to be a "flavoring" of just about whatever they want and still call it Canadian, and I would guess that would be the loophole that could possibly allow them to add KY bourbon to the mix.

TomC

I believe this is correctly stated. My understanding is Canadian whisky must be distilled in Canada from a mash of cereal grains. Canadian law does not specify what kind or proportions of such grains. Corn, wheat, barley and rye are generally used, in different amounts and combinations depending on the distiller. Canadian whisky must be aged at least three years in oak casks. In practice used charred casks and other types of cooperage are used. Canadian law states that up to 9.090% of the ethyl alcohol content of Canadian whisky can be composed of domestic or imported wine or sprits. Therefore, bourbon can be added to Canadian whisky as a permitted flavouring. Rye (straight-type) whiskeys are added too, and traditionally gave "rye" character to Canadian whisky. However there is a broad range of practices followed by different distilleries and even the same distillery. I understand fruited wines (e.g. prune wines, plus similar alcoholic beverages made from other fruits) can be added in that they fall into the definition of "wine". I don't think non-alcoholic fruit juices can be added but am not sure on that point. I was told at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival last year that bourbon is used to flavour some Canadian whisky - I think I was told there was bourbon in Crown Royal (which by the way is a superb blended whisky, possibly the best in Canada).

What has occurred in Canada is that the making of straight-type whisky has survived only within (some of) our distilleries; it is made to be added as backbone for the blends but is not sold separately. A partial exception may be the spicy, rich Lot 40 Rye Whisky. This is made, I understand, from all-malted rye. And it is made in a pot still so its proof coming off the still surely must be, even after two distillations, less than 160 proof. This in fact is very good whisky, bold and uncompromising, and likely is the kind of straight-type whisky added to the vats to flavour Canadian whisky. In theory, Canadian whisky can be very flavourful because even a small amount of bourbon or rye added can lend a big punch of taste. In practice, most Canadian blended whisky tastes light and delicate because current taste so dictates. Finally, Canadian whisky is a true whisky in that even the base whisky (to which the flavourings I mentioned are added) are distilled (not by law, by practice) at not higher than 185 proof - this is whisky, not neutral spirits, because retaining enough congeneric content to have a certain amount of traditional whisky flavour.

I do not consider myself a Canadian whisky expert, and if anyone can elaborate or suggest where I have gone wrong I would be grateful for the assistance.

Gary

Great post Gary, thanks for the information! If someone were looking to sample the "epitomy" of Canadian Whiskies, what would the consensus be?

Thanks Jeff. I would have to rate Crown Royal my all-round favourite. Not the supposedly better versions (e.g. Limited Edition or Special Reserve): just the regular one. At one time, the back label on CR stated that some 30 year old whisky was incorporated in the blend. That statement is no longer mentioned but the current whisky tastes well-aged and skilfully blended.

I also like Canadian Club 12 year old whisky (the next up from the regular CC). It has a deep flavour and (I am almost sure) a decent measure of straight rye in there.

After that, I'd go with the Century line of whiskies made in Kelowna, British Columbia. I like their 15 year old the best, it has the best balance. (Their age range goes from 8 to 21 years).

Amongst the new "small batch"-style of Canadian whiskies, I like Lot 40 (available at Sam's in Chicago) the best. This one tastes to me much like what would happen if Maytag rye was aged 8 years instead of 3. Recently I bought a so-so Canadian rye and added a touch of Lot 40 and it improved it enormously.

I find, in the end, I like to "make my own" Canadian. I'll start with a decent Canadian brand (it doesn't really matter which) and then add small amounts of different bourbons and ryes (sometimes rum) to get the kind of fuller, complex taste I feel Canadian should have. It still needs (to be "Canadian") to have a certain lightness and subtlety but I like it to have more flavour than most currently offer.

Go with Crown Royal as the best brand out there, with CC 12 year old and Century Reserve 15 years old as close followers and offering of course different tastes.

Gary

Jeff go with crown royal, if you look real hard you can taste the drop of bourbon in there. . . .when just about everybody I know (including my large, french canadian family) refers to Canadian whiskey, they mean Crown Royal.

TomC

Almost a year ago, I ordered 2 bottles of what was supposed to be Hirsch Rye from this place, but when the bottles did arrive they were Hirsch Selection Canadian Whiskey. I didn't send them back, but did open one of the bottles and I must say it was pretty good for being a pretty high proof...

All of my friends know I drink whiskey but some are unclear about what kind. I have gotten gifts of Crown Royal, Johnnie Walker Black and Oban in the past, all mistakes that were greatly enjoyed. I know some people look down on Canadian Whisky. ("Brown vodka" is what the folks in Kentucky call it.) But I think the better ones, Crown Royal certainly being at the top of the list, are quite tasty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.