Stoli vs. Grey Goose vs. Kryshtal Present

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have these in the freezer for use in the occasional Bloody Mary or Screwdriver. Tonight I took small amounts neat though, just to see if I can express a preference.

I thought Stolichnaya was the best. It was rounded, flowing and just right. The Goose was good too but a little sharper. The Kryshtal (from Belarus) was harsher than these two, more spirity, but then too half the price.

Going forward, I'd select either Stoli or the Goose for neat sampling, and reserve the other for cocktails/mixed drinks.

Opinions?

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I think Stoli has a really nice mouthfeel, especially straight from the freezer (or the back step when it's below 0°F). Grey Goose is very clean and crisp and I espcially like it on the rocks or with a splash of soda and fresh fruit. I can't speak to the other brand as I haven't tried it. I always thought Skyy made for a good mixer as it is pretty neutral, even by vodka standards.

I don't generally like vodka and I never drink it neat unless I'm around Russians or Ukrainians. Or ultra-Orthodox Jews, who drink a lot of it. But I always keep some Stoli on hand for cocktails like white russians and negroskis. Although quite decent, Grey Goose is expensive due to heavy marketing whereas I've found Stoli to have a consistently high quality level (for vodka) at a good price.

Stoli seems to stand out (so far) in these comments, but it is also my own experience.

I once read sugar is added, but true or not I don't know.

Gary

Stoli seems to stand out (so far) in these comments, but it is also my own experience.

I once read sugar is added, but true or not I don't know.

Gary

Thanks Aaron. What about Ketel One? That seems a rich, well-balanced vodka even if the pot still thing is (may be) overstated.

Gary

I prefer buying Everclear 190pr, and cutting it in half.(Poof, I'm a micro-distiller of vodka!) My Bloody Mary can't tell the difference.

In all seriousness, I only use vodka for Bloody Marys, so as long as it's cheap, it works.

Thanks Aaron. What about Ketel One? That seems a rich, well-balanced vodka even if the pot still thing is (may be) overstated.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.