BOTM 10/12: Larceny

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried the Larceny versus my standard everyday wheaters, Weller 12 and Maker's 46. Tonight the Weller 12 won the contest by a hair, and I liked the Larceny and 46 equally. The Larceny has been open for less than a week, whereas the Weller 12 has been opened for 3 weeks, so perhaps not quite a fair comparison. I'm still very impressed with the Larceny overall!

I just picked up a bottle tonight. I like it. Better than MM as I recall, but I'll need to go side by side for the Weller's not sure there.

I've only tasted it at a free pouring so far so I haven't had time to spend with it, but my initial impression was that it had the wood tannins and cherry of a Knob Creek combined with the cinnamon of MM 46, without the depth or complexity of either. It definitely has a short finish with a thin mouthfeel, but has some bitter and drying flavors that make it more savory than many of the sweeter young bourbons.

I will be buying a bottle with the steep rebate offered.

The bottle finally opened up to me and it's not a bad pour. I doubt I will buy another bottle again. Might be interesting to try this at barrel strength.

I've only tasted it at a free pouring so far so I haven't had time to spend with it, but my initial impression was that it had the wood tannins and cherry of a Knob Creek combined with the cinnamon of MM 46, without the depth or complexity of either. It definitely has a short finish with a thin mouthfeel, but has some bitter and drying flavors that make it more savory than many of the sweeter young bourbons.

I will be buying a bottle with the steep rebate offered.

Spot on observations BarryL. Not bad for a Novice :grin:. I just bought my second bottle on sale for $18.99. I only had a few tastes of my first as it gave up its spirit quickly at the KBF gazebo table. Its lower 92 proof means you have to work a little harder with it to get it, but I like it quite a bit and a bonus that we have another taste take on a wheater. I get some root beer notes too which I dig.

I just had some on the rocks and I am sipping some neat now. I definitely prefer this neat, much more flavorful. It still tastes good with ice but I prefer the bolder flavor neat. My palate still is not as discriminating as most of you, but I like the sweetness of this. If I hadn't started drinking this morning (my evening, I just got off work) I would probably go out and get some Weller to compare it to.

By the way T Comp, I am in Round Lake Beach

I just had some on the rocks and I am sipping some neat now. I definitely prefer this neat, much more flavorful. It still tastes good with ice but I prefer the bolder flavor neat. My palate still is not as discriminating as most of you, but I like the sweetness of this. If I hadn't started drinking this morning (my evening, I just got off work) I would probably go out and get some Weller to compare it to.

By the way T Comp, I am in Round Lake Beach

And a fair comparison with the Weller would be the Special Reserve which is closer in proof and age to the Larceny. Or adjust the OWA from 107 proof down to 92 proof. Weller 12, of course, is also closer in proof but much more age.

I know it's a haul from Round Lake but you should try and make the get together at the Binny's South Loop detailed further in the Bourbon Social thread.

Thanks for the info Thad. Depending upon how much money I have left, I may take a trip to Binny's in McHenry of some OWA 107 or the Weller 12. I wish I could make it to the South Loop gathering but I have to work and if I took a day off for that I probably would be looking for someplace else to live. My wife would get mighty cranky.

I just want to chime in with a big thumbs up for the folks behind Larceny and the rebate. I received both of my $10 checks yesterday, that has to be the quickest rebate turn around I have ever seen. That's some good customer service.

Just put the Larceny against ORVW 90. I definitely preferred the Larceny. In a comparison with Weller 12, for me, it was really close, and I preferred the Weller by a whisker.

I continue to be unable to stay away from this bottle. I find myself passing over many old favorites, and grabbing this one for a pour, instead. What a wonderful addition to the industry's wheater line-up. I've been zeroing in on a light orange peel and powdered cocoa thingy, of late. And, it's wonderful!! Between this and the 2012 PHC, HH is on one heck of a hot streak, lately. :bowdown:

I continue to be unable to stay away from this bottle. I find myself passing over many old favorites, and grabbing this one for a pour, instead. What a wonderful addition to the industry's wheater line-up. I've been zeroing in on a light orange peel and powdered cocoa thingy, of late. And, it's wonderful!! Between this and the 2012 PHC, HH is on one heck of a hot streak, lately. :bowdown:

I'm with Joe on this one. My first bottle was gone pretty quickly and a second is on my shopping list. It's $20 her in Columbia and right now my favorite at that price point.

Was at Binny's today. Would have bought another bottle but they were sold out. They guy there said that there has been a huge run on it.

Was at Binny's today. Would have bought another bottle but they were sold out. They guy there said that there has been a huge run on it.

This is why its great to be a bourbon guy in NYC. There's never a run on bourbon here. Not only can I find Larceny on the shelf, I can probably find some van winkle and stagg on the shelf... if I wanted. Sorry guys.

As for Larceny, I finished my 1L bottle. it was great stuff. Looking forward to the second bottle. :cool:

Here in "Chicagoland" there is certainly now a run on PVW and Stagg/WLW, that really kicked in hard just 2 years ago, but that's really about it on what you can't find. Binny's itself has 27 locations in the Chicago and surrounding area, some worthy smaller competitiors and there is plenty of Larceny still around (just not at bgast1's specific store) and most everything else a bourbon drinker desires. We too are fortunate here as bourbon drinkers.

Ran across a 1.75L Larceny for $26.99 and with a $20 rebate, this is almost like free whiskey.

Is this a great country or what.:grin:

Had some today during the Lions game. Very enjoyable bourbon when I can get a half gallon for $20 with the rebate. I would have to say with without the rebate I would also enjoy it, I find the flavor to be a subtle caramel, vanilla type with a nice draw at the end.

larceny.png

This was a huge surprise. My go-to bar bottle is Weller 12 YO. It is sometimes in short supply, even in Louisville, so I tried Larceny to try to stretch the WLW out. We are now on our 3rd bottle of Larceny. The rebate isn't even a player. I believe it is the best juice for the buck on the market.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.