Bourbon Trail Recommendations

z327
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of my fellow Texans will be joining me in Lexington for the Bourbon Trail on Nov 1st. Thinking we can hit most distilleries in 2.5 days. What are the must stops we should do? Distilleries, restaurants, bars, liquor stores etc...

Never been to Kentucky so really need SB advice.

Call ahead to Buffalo Trace and schedule a "hard hat" tour. I also really enjoyed Bourbons Bistro in Louisville. There's a TON of non-bourbon stuff around too... Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger, Corvette museum, Fort Knox, civil war sites...

You might think two and a half days is enough. It isn't... you'll have the time of your life, never be bored, and end up just wanting to go back.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Check tour times of the distilleries and set your game plan around this.I found the BT tour to be very good and the grounds are quite beautiful and the FR gift shop is a must,HH is very industrial and the tour was quite bland the Heritage Center there is great but limited release prices there are astronomical.I can't recommend the Bourbon Bistro in Louisville enough, the food is fantastic and the bourbon selection is second to none,their barrel selections are always top notch and a must try.The Slugger Museum is a cool place to visit if time allows and a custom bat makes a very cool souvenir.Enjoy your trip and you will be vying for time as there is so much to see.

We just got back from our second trip, Lexington is a good town. Portofino (Lexington) and their sister restaurant in Frankfort (Serafini) have an amazing bourbon selection and the food is pretty tasty too.

I will echo the Hard Hat tour at Buffalo Trace, try to get on one with Fred, he's an awesome tour guide. Four Roses is worth a stop and Rutledge usually has something special in the gift shop (this time it was a 14 yr OBSK). I was really impressed with Wild Turkey when we went there last April. Their new facility is amazing and worth a look. I'd say Heaven Hill is worth a stop even though some of the stuff they tell you on the tour is a little hokey regarding how bourbon was invented. Woodford's grounds are beautiful, but we skipped the tour, a. they charge, and b. when we walked in they were a tad on the snooty side and well quite frankly I personally think their stuff does stink so we bailed.

Too bad you're not there a week earlier, Fall meet is on a Keeneland and would be worth a stop for some horse racing.

Bardstown has a couple of good restaurants Kurtz's is very good and a newer place Bourbon City Bistro was very good as well. As for distilleries I would do the hard hat tour at BT then do the tour at Wild Turkey. Why because BT is a very old distillery and WT is a brand new distillery it's cool to compare the two. Four Roses and Markers Mark are show places just beautiful. 2 1/2 days just ain't going to be enough time but it's going to be enough time to make you want to come back again and again.

Regardless of what you think of Woodford Reserve products, I think the tour is the best; based on atmosphere, scenery , tour guides, etc. Worth the small admission price , it just makes for a good representation of Kentucky and the bourbon industry and tradition.

Don't miss the FR warehouses and bottling facility at Cox Creek, just a couple of miles from JB and much more interesting.

I would highly recommend visiting Independent Stave. You'll never look at a barrel the same way after taking the tour. Call ahead for reservations.

Must do Buffalo Trace, Hard Hat if possible.

Must do 4R Cox Creek warehouse/bottling. It's interesting to think on how they distill, load in a tanker truck, and deposit at another facility. I also had the chance to take my first barrel strength sample there! Still have the little cup with charcoal in the bottom.

When I get back that way I will do the hard hat and Wild Turkey, probably do the two 4R again, and if I have time Barton. Would love to work in Independent Stave too.

Any recommendations on where to stay while visiting the area? Tentatively planning to stay at the Brown part of the time, but possible elsewhere part of the time. Planning the BT hardhat tour, FR, Makers, Horse Park, a number of restaurants, Getz Museum. If there are any good places for tastings, that would be great. Going with wife and probably a couple of other couples. Any recommendations for other NICE places to stay? Thanks!

Any recommendations on where to stay while visiting the area? Tentatively planning to stay at the Brown part of the time, but possible elsewhere part of the time. Planning the BT hardhat tour, FR, Makers, Horse Park, a number of restaurants, Getz Museum. If there are any good places for tastings, that would be great. Going with wife and probably a couple of other couples. Any recommendations for other NICE places to stay? Thanks!
Edited by p_elliott

My wife and I stayed at the Brown, and enjoyed it. Historic, nice, smaller rooms, but our room had an amazing bathroom. There is a bread bakery on the way to Frankfort, on the edge of Louisville, they had a good carrot bread and a great cheese bread. I wish I could remember the name of it now, in a little strip mall off the highway, near a starbucks.

Louisville is a bit farther out, but if you get started in the morning and stay out till later, you can do what you want on the trail from there.

I stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Louisville, and enjoyed it. The rate was very good, as I remember. A nice thing about the hotel is that it's right across the street from "4th Street Live".

If a hotel is out of your price range, just find a friend and throw an air matress in the back of a pickup truck.

I would highly recommend visiting Independent Stave. You'll never look at a barrel the same way after taking the tour. Call ahead for reservations.

I'll second on a visit to Independent Stave. My wife and I were the only ones there one morning and got what amounted to a private tour. The guides really took their time with us. Pretty neat when I don't figure to ever (directly) buy one of their products.

Great people at IS. No cameras allowed :( but for $5 the office girls will take your picture and give you a 5x7 with a flaming barrel in the background.

What sorts of 'other' things interest you? For example, if you are into history there are many good Lincoln sites, and other historical sites. If you play golf there are some terrific courses. The Rebecca Ruth Candies tour in Frankfort is great and bourbon-related, since they make bourbon balls. Other museums worth visiting include the Muhammad Ali Center, The Falls of the Ohio (on the Indiana side), and the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History (Frankfort). Bernheim Forest, right across the road from Jim Beam, is a 10,000 acre botanical garden and nature preserve, great for a casual walk or more serious hike. There's also a bike trail system that starts there, if that's your thing.

The Seelbach is another wonderful, historic hotel in Louisville, like the Brown, and the Old Seelbach Bar is worth a visit, even if you stay somewhere else. 21c Museum Hotel is another good Louisville lodging choice, and Proof, their bar and restaurant is great too. The best thing in 4th Street Live is the Maker's Mark Lounge. Louisville is a good base if you like urban amenities. If you like B&Bs, Bardstown has several good choices. Kurtz's in Bardstown is great for traditional fare, while Bourbon City Bistro is a bit more contemporary. Whatever you do, avoid the Talbot Tavern. The bar and hotel are okay, but the restaurant has phenomenally bad service.

If you are pretty much limited to 2.5 days, don't push yourself to visit every distillery. You'll see many of the same things. Each distillery has something to recommend it, however.

I very much agree with the suggestion that you should see a cooperage and if you go to Kentucky Cooperage (Independent Stave) in Lebanon, Cedarwood Restaurant, which is just a few hundred yards west of the cooperage, is great for authentic Kentucky cuisine and atmosphere. It's the real deal, not a tourist place.

Edited by cowdery

What sorts of 'other' things interest you? For example, if you are into history there are many good Lincoln sites, and other historical sites. If you play golf there are some terrific courses. The Rebecca Ruth Candies tour in Frankfort is great and bourbon-related, since they make bourbon balls. Other museums worth visiting include the Muhammad Ali Center, The Falls of the Ohio (on the Indiana side), and the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History (Frankfort). Bernheim Forest, right across the road from Jim Beam, is a 10,000 acre botanical garden and nature preserve, great for a casual walk or more serious hike. There's also a bike trail system that starts there, if that's your thing.

The Seelbach is another wonderful, historic hotel in Louisville, like the Brown, and the Old Seelbach Bar is worth a visit, even if you stay somewhere else. 21c Museum Hotel is another good Louisville lodging choice, and Proof, their bar and restaurant is great too. The best thing in 4th Street Live is the Maker's Mark Lounge. Louisville is a good base if you like urban amenities. If you like B&Bs, Bardstown has several good choices. Kurtz's in Bardstown is great for traditional fare, while Bourbon City Bistro is a bit more contemporary. Whatever you do, avoid the Talbot Tavern. The bar and hotel are okay, but the restaurant has phenomenally bad service.

If you are pretty much limited to 2.5 days, don't push yourself to visit every distillery. You'll see many of the same things. Each distillery has something to recommend it, however.

I very much agree with the suggestion that you should see a cooperage and if you go to Kentucky Cooperage (Independent Stave) in Lebanon, Cedarwood Restaurant, which is just a few hundred yards west of the cooperage, is great for authentic Kentucky cuisine and atmosphere. It's the real deal, not a tourist place.

I'll second Chuck's mention of the Muhammad Ali Museum. Now, I'll admit that Ali is my favorite athlete of all time, so there is bias here. But, it is very well done, very extensive, and gives very good insight into Ali...the man. If you're sensitive, wear a cup. You'll get kicked in the balls if you have a serious problem with his actions in, and particularly, outside the ring. But, if you are open to learning, you'll love it. One of my favorite Ali quotes, during an interview with Howard Cosell:

Cosell: You seem awfully truculent today, Champ.

Ali: I don't know what truculent means, but if it's good, I'm that.

I wanted to see the Ali Center but didn't expect to be as moved by the experience as I was. One of the great features is an area where you can sit in a chair with your own TV screen and view any of his fights in its entirety. Especially if you're in my age group (I'm 61), it will really take you back to your youth, as he was so much at the center of the history of that period.

I forgot to mention before that Churchill Downs and its Kentucky Derby Museum are worth a visit, and even better if they're running. It's in an interesting and older part of Louisville.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I think we have settled on the brown for part of the trip, and for the Holly Hill B&B for part. As for distilleries it is going to be FR, the hard hat at BT, and probably Makers. My dad is a Makers guy, I've been an "ambassador" ;) for a while. A bit cheesy for me, but I'll dip my own bottle. It will be fun. We will look into Independant Stave. Had not thought of that. Now my task is coming up with the list of bourbons to try along the way.

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the tips. We got all seven stamps and toured Buffalo Trace (hard hat), Makers Mark, Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, and Town Branch.

Our thoughts:

Buffalo Trace (hard hat) - best one we did, toured the real heavy parts of the plant, tasting was great, guide was very fun

Makers Mark - very good and entertaining guide, very professional tasting

Jim Beam - contrived, seemed fake and staged for tourists, tasting was pathetic machine controlled.

Woodford Reserve - enjoyed it, nice contrast to the enormity of Buffalo Trace

Town Branch - short, not much to it, first time to taste their product and glad I did because now I don't feel the need to spend any money on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from our trip over Thanksgiving. We did the FR "Mellow Moments" tour (awesome), and the MM normal tour (very good). The "normal" BT tour was not really worth it.

Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville - highly recommended.

We stayed at the Eagle Hill Manor in Bloomfield. Also highly recommended. Lovely old Victorian house, delicious food, great hosts (Jim and Bonnie) and very reasonable prices. Also nicely located outside of Bardstown. We will be staying there for our next visit for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.