Best tasting notes EVER!

Trey Manthey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Quite.

I'll offer up this from the SMWSA...

Peat smoke drifts from a nearby island across calm waters – the sun is going down after a hot day on the beach – a driftwood fire is now lit on shingle between rock-pools – barbecued pork ribs, langoustines, lobster, then lemon meringue pie for dessert – nose the dram – ginger, Germolene, tobacco, boxing gloves – paint your own picture – Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction? – taste it now – root beer, ice-cream, bananas, Old Holborn tobacco, liquorice cigarette papers, burnt heather, barley sugars rolled in ash – this whisky evoked all of these for us – now test your own imagination – it’s from the Sound of Islay.

Or this gem...

We found quite a bit of fruit on the nose – tinned pears, passion fruit and ‘someone peeling tangerines in the a recently painted hospital’ – in addition we enjoyed lavender, orange blossoms, patchouli, burnt paper, smoky bacon and well-kept stables – quite complex all in all. The palate had Elastoplasts and gauze bandages, star anise, walnut fudge, honeysuckle, nutty tobacco and baklava. Water brought freesias and parma violets, creosote and peat fires to the nose, while the palate became sweeter, developing slightly burnt treacle tart, sugar cane and dark chocolate coated marzipan with some coconut to finish.

Any of the SMWSA (via Whiskey Apostle) notes are a bit over the top.

Edited by Tucker

I've often wondered how any human being could possibly get all that from a glass of whisk(e)y. What a bunch of nonsense.

I've often wondered how any human being could possibly get all that from a glass of whisk(e)y. What a bunch of nonsense.

I agree that the Scotch Malt Whisky Society tasting notes describe more than any one person should be able to pick up. That said, the SMWS uses a tasting panel to decide on their whiskies, and it is completely believable that a group of whisky tasters will put together all of those flavors and smells. They probably have a marketing person write the filler words that get you from one flavor descriptor to the next, but you shouldn't doubt that someone in the room said they smelled that oil smoke from a two-stroke engine.

Agreed. I just find it ridiculous when I read descriptors like "wet pavement". How the hell does anyone know what wet pavement tastes like? Did they go outside and lick the road? Or, "dried seaweed with a touch of model airplane glue". Really? And one of my all time favorites............. an "old leather chair". Who licks a damn chair to know how it tastes? Just sayin'. :lol:

And one of my all time favorites............. an "old leather chair". Who licks a damn chair to know how it tastes? Just sayin'. :lol:

It would depend on who had sat there.

David Driscoll seems to be getting a wee bit carried away:

While he didn't write the notes for the Flaming Heart, it's attributed to Serge Valentine, In the post right after that one titled "When Hyperbole Goes to Far" he writes

"While it's fun to wax poetic about booze, I sometimes find the enthusiasm expressed in our descriptions just a bit too over-the-top." :rolleyes:

These notes work for me:

1. F*^&ing awesome!

2. Damn good

3. OK

4. Tastes like S#!t

any more is BS

These notes work for me:

1. F*^&ing awesome!

2. Damn good

3. OK

4. Tastes like S#!t

any more is BS

What does S#!t taste like? Explain your tasting experience.

Agreed. I just find it ridiculous when I read descriptors like "wet pavement". How the hell does anyone know what wet pavement tastes like? Did they go outside and lick the road? Or, "dried seaweed with a touch of model airplane glue". Really? And one of my all time favorites............. an "old leather chair". Who licks a damn chair to know how it tastes? Just sayin'. :lol:

What does S#!t taste like? Explain your tasting experience.

I knew I set my self up for that question. I'll admit I have no experience with tasting in an oral sense. But I do have had a great deal of olfactory exposure to a wide variety of examples from many sources.

What, you've never had shoe fly pie? ;)

And wet pavement.... Is that fresh poured concrete pavement, rain soaked asphalt, or thunderstorm moistened tar? Supertasters want to know!

I do have to admit the younger folks who say things taste like excrement or the place it comes from, or other interesting locations/flavors, always makes me laugh. And yes, I have inadvertently tasted some of those items. Mostly due to farming "accidents".

It's okay to use some imagination in tasting notes. If I think something tastes like dirt, I will say it tastes like dirt, even if I've never tasted dirt.

On the other hand, I think using more than five or so descriptors for the smell or taste of a whisky is pointless. Choose the ones which best represent the experience; leave the rest out. Otherwise you lose the essence of it. I think it was our friend Davin who once used about fifteen different descriptors for a whisky, after which he commented that it was not very complex.

The worst was a fellow named Dr. Whisky, who said in his review of McLelland Islay that it contained "a touch of dog poo." And it was meant to be a POSITIVE reivew! Once you've detected dog poo in your whisky, you might as well forget about ever enjoying it again.

And one of my all time favorites............. an "old leather chair". Who licks a damn chair to know how it tastes? Just sayin'. :lol:

Ooh, ooh (hand raised like Arnold Horshack in Mr. Kotter's classroom)...Selma Hayek after a 10K run in a thong. Now, that's a chair you could nose all day long!:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.