Australian Whisky/Liquor recommendations?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

May have a chance to get a bottle or two of Australian whisky or perhaps another Australian product that isn't readily available in the US or even Britain where I occasionally order bottles I can't get here. I am always interested in getting something that I don't normally have regular access to just to see what else is out there.

Inner Circle Green Dot rum is one I have heard good things about but I don't know much about Australian whiskies other than some of the best seem to come from Tasmania. Hellyers Road, Lark and Bakery Hill were suggested by another source.

Anybody have suggestions for something up to about the $100 range? I think the Australian and US dollars are about the same at the moment.

Check out the Australian whiskey section at www.nicks.com.au - it's probably the best 'one stop shop' to figure out what's available. From what little I know about rum, and the reaction of some of the SB crew who also drink rum, Aussie rum didn't go down too well. Your tastes may vary, but I just thought I'd thow it out there so you aren't disappointed.

If you're after Australian only release bourbons, look at Jim Beam Small Batch with Port added, Jim Beam bonded, McKenna (the Aussie version is an export only product produced by Four Roses - not the Heaven Hill US domestic version) or Cougar. Again, have a look at Nicks for examples.

As for the dollar, you are correct. Currently $1 US buys about $0.98 Australian, so close enough to say 1:1.

Thanks. Probably leaning toward Australian made whiskies rather than bourbons for the Australian market at this point although I will keep your other recommendations in mind. I might be willing to gamble on the IC green dot rum as well. Even if I didn't like the rum itself I expect it would still work in Tiki drinks!

There is a Hellyers Road three pack that looked interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. Probably leaning toward Australian made whiskies rather than bourbons for the Australian market at this point although I will keep your other recommendations in mind. I might be willing to gamble on the IC green dot rum as well. Even if I didn't like the rum itself I expect it would still work in Tiki drinks!

There is a Hellyers Road three pack that looked interesting.

Ended up getting the Hellyers Road three pack set to try to get a little sample of what is available in Australia whisky (original, slightly peated and peated varieties). Have been told their pinot noir cask finish is nice but wasn't part of the gift pack option. I also discovered that in addition to a few options for Australian whisky on The Whiskey Exchange there was one California store that lists Lark whisky as available although it is pretty expensive!

post-8493-14489818359702_thumb.jpg

Hopefully another edition to the "menu" for this weekend.

Still considering the Inner Circle Green rum as another option.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.