The New Bourbon Trail - Craft Tour

Bourbon Boiler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.kybourbontrail.com/index.php/kentucky_bourbon_trail_craft_tour

Corsair, MBR, Limestone Branch, Barrel House, Old Pouge, Silver Trail, Willett.

I have toured MBR. Paul and MaryBeth purchased an Amish farm in Christian county Kentucky. It is not long tour but you get to see all of their operation. It is for sure worth the visit if you are even in the Clarksville TN area. They do Pickin' on the Porch through the summer where they bring in a live band and have plenty of adult beverages.

For what it worth they just released a small batch if their bourbon and black dog whiskey. If you haven't tried the black dog yet, they do ship. It is by far my favorite.

I have thought about going through Corsair but haven't made the trip yet. It is high on the to do list as I really like the experimenting they do.

Curiously, Town Branch is now on the main tour, not the craft distilleries tour. I suspect the distinction is in how much the distillery is willing to pay in KDA dues.

While at Town Branch a couple weeks ago that was discussed. According to our tour guide they were no longer considered a "craft" distiller due to total sales. It was not specified if that was a revenue dollar amount or liquid volume in cases. They are now considered a "regional" distillery.

Anyone know of any such regulations from the government? Or is this a KBT designation to separate the 2 different tours? If so, I would think Corsair would be "regional" as we'll?

While at Town Branch a couple weeks ago that was discussed. According to our tour guide they were no longer considered a "craft" distiller due to total sales. It was not specified if that was a revenue dollar amount or liquid volume in cases. They are now considered a "regional" distillery.

Anyone know of any such regulations from the government? Or is this a KBT designation to separate the 2 different tours? If so, I would think Corsair would be "regional" as we'll?

I am pretty sure it is not a government regulation. It may be something the KBD gives as titles but I would assume it is more what Chuck and is relate to what they pay the KBD. I would assume the info from the tour is coming from the marketing department. "Look we're big we have to be better than those other guys." Alltech is the parent company for Town Branch and the owner has another business that brings in a billion dollars plus. The beer and spirit making business is secondary to him but he does have deep enough pockets to pay to get on the regular trail.

I haven't heard such distinctions from KDA. I think Town Branch is just making it up. Never heard of a 'regional distillery.'

But there is a big difference in how much regular members and craft members pay to be members of KDA. I assumed as well that considering this is a prestige enterprise for the owner of Alltech, they are willing and able to pay the higher rate.

The KDA is a trade association. It is funded entirely by its members. So is DISCUS. It's a lot of money. I'm sure what the craft guys pay seems like a lot to them, but it's nothing compared to what the big guys pay. Think of it this way. There are seven (including Alltech) full members and KDA pays three salaries with benefits and has an office in downtown Frankfort. That's just the overhead, before they actually start to spend money on any of their activities. Membership dues have been KDA's only source of revenue. They've recently started to sell Bourbon Trail sponsorships, but like the craft distillery dues, it's a drop in the bucket.

Buffalo Trace dropped out of the KDA primarily because they felt they could use that money better themselves.

Has anyone toured any of them yet?

I've been through MBR twice. I got a very detailed tour, and I asked a lot of questions, in about 20 minutes. They make some good products, and a lot of sweet drinks a non-bourbon drinker could like. As much as I want Paul and MB to do well, it's hard to reccomend a visit unless you find yourself in the area. There's not much else to see around there.

Just did the Willett tour. It was excellent! Not many people touring it and got great access to all areas. Great sample of the white dog (152 proof) and really good tastings after the tour, including the 21 year old bourbon

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Willett tour a couple months ago. Very personal and private as my wife and I were 2 of the 3 participants. It was less of a structured tour and more of a friendly and extremely informational conversation and walk around the operation. White dog was excellent and the bottles available for tasting were quite generous. Looking forward to going back next time we're in town.

Just did the Willett tour. It was excellent! Not many people touring it and got great access to all areas. Great sample of the white dog (152 proof) and really good tastings after the tour, including the 21 year old bourbon

152 proof? That's disappointingly high. Since most of their sourced stuff is from HH, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they are following their lead and distilling almost to the legal limit. Boo!!!

I toured the Corsair distillery in Bowling Green a while back. It is a small operation located in a garage area a floor down from the CPA firm where my wife works. The tour is informative and it is neat to see all of the experimentation they are into. They have a tasting bar where you can try and buy some of their harder to find releases. I walked away with their 100% Rye Whiskey and their Triple Smoke whiskey.

I plan to visit the MBR distillery fairly soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.