Jack Daniel's Toasts Sinatra With New High Roller Whiskey

bucky1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"The maker of Jack Daniel's is toasting Frank Sinatra with a new rendition of Ol' Blue Eyes' favorite whiskey.

The new ultra-premium spirit was aged in special "Sinatra barrels" at the brand's distillery in Tennessee, the company announced Tuesday. The result is a darker amber color than classic Jack Daniel's."

Yum...love the taste of "darker amber color". That is quite a pitch to go purchase this product at an expected cost of $150 per liter.

Jon

More info...

http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2012/10/jack-daniels-toasts-sinatra-with-new-high-roller-whiskey?et_cid=2910830&et_rid=54689539&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.manufacturing.net%2fnews%2f2012%2f10%2fjack-daniels-toasts-sinatra-with-new-high-roller-whiskey

Selected by Master Distiller Jeff Arnett, the barrels used to make the special Sinatra whiskey were crafted to provide the darker amber color by exposing the spirit to extra layers of toasted wood on the inner surfaces of the barrels.

What does this mean?

I'd guess that it means the barrels are toasted and then charred. The toasting affects wood deeper in the staves than does the charring.... But isn't this what BF does anyway?

My guess....marketing language...means nothing...

Selected by Master Distiller Jeff Arnett, the barrels used to make the special Sinatra whiskey were crafted to provide the darker amber color by exposing the spirit to extra layers of toasted wood on the inner surfaces of the barrels.

What does this mean?

I'd like to try Jack Daniels made in barrels that are just charred, the way it used to be done presumably before the preliminary toasting procedure was adopted.

Gary

Is the original post correct that this will be $150 when released? If correct What is going on with their pricing recently. Shaken news (already discussed on rye forum) confirmed yesterday their unaged rye will be $50. Is the thinking here if you put an extremely high price tag on it people will assume it is equal to other premium products? I don't get how they are pricing their new products. Don't get me wrong, major distilleries finally venturing into new areas is a god thing but they seem to be pricing themselves out of the market.

"...will sell at major airports worldwide..." reads to me like Duty Free.

My guess is if it doesn't fly off the shelves there, look for a price drop

and wider distribution. Just my guess.

Of course that's not taking into account the JD collector mentality

which could very well result in "...tens of thousands of cases in the

first 18 months".

Edited by silverfish

$150 for an 80 proof bourbon lets get real. This is simply marketing only a bonehead would buy this stuff.

For $150, considering the American whiskey that can be had in that price range, this would only be a good value if it were extra-aged (you know, like four times longer than they age JD Black) and high proof. We're talking significantly more money than Pappy 20. More than enough to buy two BTAC bottles.

Jack Daniel's, by and large, is a joke.

Something tells me this whiskey isn't for us, unless you are looking for something to order at the bar of your private jet. :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

According to Behance, this is called a "...super-premium offering..." and comes

boxed with "...a special book that tells more about the story of Frank’s fifty-year

relationship with Jack Daniel’s."

I did find a single on-line seller who has it listed for $150. ($135. in a mixed case)

so I guess that's the going price. The bottle is listed as 45% ABV so maybe the

info from the COLA link above is just the TTB letting another one slide...

According to the email advertisement I received from them today, Silverfish is correct. It's 90 proof. Just my two cents, but for $150, I'd much rather have three bottles of their 100 proof JDSS instead. Well, almost three bottles. :slappin:

I really think this bottle isn't for SB.com types, or even most JD drinkers. I'm not sure who it's for, really, except for die-hard Sinatra fans and maybe some from the 21-35 year old demographic who want a little of that Sinatra cocktail-hour and Rat Pack magic. I think the private-jet crowd mostly drinks scotch rather than anything JD...

I assume they applied for the COLA before they had finalized the proof.

The TTB allows certain changes to labels without applying for a new COLA. Changing the label to reflect the proof of the spirit inside the bottle is allowable, as long as it doesn't violate rules (for example, font size requirements) or change the type designation (for example, you can't make a straight whiskey be less than 80 proof).

Reference from the TTB website: http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/allowable_revisions.shtml

Edited by Kalessin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.