Thh 2012

theglobalguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That was fun Tim...thanks for hosting! I was definitely over served by YOU and Winston!

You forgot all the FR1B bottlings though...I think there were 4 of those plus the Balcones and Willett 11yr!

I was just covering the rye here - plus I didn't want us to all come across as raging alcoholics...:hot:

You also drank Scotch - and said it was good, so that's a sure sign you were over served.

I was just covering the rye here - plus I didn't want us to all come across as raging alcoholics...:hot:

I know the truth!

Last night I was with a few buddies and we did an "epic rye" lineup:

Handy 11

Handy 12

VWFRR ('12)

Bowman TPS #1

Bowman TPS #3

Vintage Rye 21

The 2012 Handy drew the short straw... but not by a ton, and it held up well. It's not as good as the '11, but that's in comparison.

When you have the 2012 just by itself, it's an amazing pour and very tasty. I have no significant complaints - it's a THH through and through.

That said, the Bowmans are just... magical. Some of the best juice ever bottled. Easily a top 5 whiskey for me. Love them.

Vintage 21, while not high-proof, is also just a stunner.

Tim, how did the 2012 VWFRR taste to you? Do you think it is the same as previous years or are they supplementing it with some different whiskey now? By the way, I'm really jealous of that tasting!

Edited by LostBottle

Tim, how did the 2012 VWFRR taste to you? Do you think it is the same as previous years or are they supplementing it with some different whiskey now? By the way, I'm really jealous of that tasting!

It probably warrants its own thread... and of course will create a huge stir, but...

It's not what it was. Nope, not at all. Having done multiple side-by-side tastings of various bottles over the last few years (I drink my VWFRR - I don't hoard it), I can tell you that the profile has definitely shifted, and at this point it's VERY clear that this includes BT Rye juice.

Keep in mind - we had 2 Bowman Ryes (BT), two Handy Ryes (BT) along with Vintage 21 (what Pappy *used* to be)... and I will swear up and down all day long that VWFRR is comprised mostly of BT Rye juice at this point - especially when you taste the honey barrels of Rye BT has available.

I still love VWFRR, and work each release to get a bottle or two, but if you care where it came from - and are buying it because it's Medley, or Cream of Ky, or whatever... well it's not. There may well be some of that in here, sure, but it's been different - and getting more different - for going on 2 years now, and this year's is the most different from "the good old days" I've tasted.

This isn't my bottle (haven't landed a 2012 yet), and I only had 2 pours, but I don't believe this is the same whiskey I was buying 3-4 years ago at all. Similar profile and still damn tasty, but not the same

that's all I gots to say 'bout that... don't hate on me for my *opinion*

That's interesting - I take it all the 2012's have the "C" label?

Yes, it looks like this year is C. Perhaps you should send me your bottles of 2012 VWFRR and Handy for scientific purposes.:grin:

Yes, it looks like this year is C. Perhaps you should send me your bottles of 2012 VWFRR and Handy for scientific purposes.grin.gif

Found this old link:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?7589-Van-Winkle-Family-Reserve-13-rye&p=103863&viewfull=1#post103863

It seems the letters don't really correspond to any of the sources in that spreadsheet (in the link).

I'm in the Seattle area so I'm down with getting you a sample ;-) I gotta get my brother to ship me the VWFRR bottle ASAP.

Edited by ChainWhip

Found this old link:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?7589-Van-Winkle-Family-Reserve-13-rye&p=103863&viewfull=1#post103863

It seems the letters don't really correspond to any of the sources in that spreadsheet (in the link).

I'm in the Seattle area so I'm down with getting you a sample ;-) I gotta get my brother to ship me the VWFRR bottle ASAP.

The letters mean nothing publicly discernible any longer... That grid was outdated when they started the lettering over again a couple of years back. Essentially there's contemporary A, B, & C- and my "conspiracy theory" is that the new lettering corresponds to when they started blending in the BT Rye. I've seen the occasional G & H in the past 24 months, too, however. And somebody I know says he has an "S" bottle that was bought in 2009.

The letters mean nothing publicly discernible any longer... That grid was outdated when they started the lettering over again a couple of years back. Essentially there's contemporary A, B, & C- and my "conspiracy theory" is that the new lettering corresponds to when they started blending in the BT Rye. I've seen the occasional G & H in the past 24 months, too, however. And somebody I know says he has an "S" bottle that was bought in 2009.

Reading through the old VWFRR threads, it seems that there is some variation from year to year. One would think if the juice is being tanked in SS containers that it'd be relatively consistent?

Reading through the old VWFRR threads, it seems that there is some variation from year to year. One would think if the juice is being tanked in SS containers that it'd be relatively consistent?

Yep, you'd think that. I certainly don't notice major year-to-year changes of Saz 18. It does vary, but not as much as VWFRR

This was my first time to try the THH, and to me it was the one that stood out from the Antique Collection. If I was rating them it would be on the lower end, but it was the most enjoyable, if that makes any sense. I just really enjoy the spicy, bold, in your face flavor of a young rye. Adding a little water highlights the lack of depth compared to something like the Sazerac 18, but sometimes maturity isn't the most fun in the moment.

I would agree that it doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the BTAC, but I sure as hell enjoy drinking it.

I noticed that, but for me - I'd trade the Saz 18 or ER 17 for a Handy. Can't help it - me likes the bold flavors :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to finding a 2012 THH in California. I have had about 1/4 bottle of 2011 and to me it is the best rye I have had thus far. I have not been fortunate enough to compare it to any of the other ryes I read about on this site (VWFRR, Vintage Rye, Etc), but I hope to add to my bar soon enough.

• 2 months later...
and the lower octane Bowman rye also shows the depth age can give. but is Bowman rye still suffering progressively younger release dates?
Edited by ErichPryde

I'm only concerned with the maturity of the whiskys in the expression and I'll leave that to the Master Blenders.

So related to THH, i'm just about the polish off the bottle i started this thread about. And (meaning this as a compliment) it hasn't weakened since i opened. Still that great spice bite and solid mouthfeel.

Is the high proof what's keeping it consistent or the Rye aspect of it? I have plenty other bottles open which have changed over time. Thankfully not this one.

high proof wheaters change... May be combination of rye, proof, and youth. seems like saz 18 changes over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Been sipping the 2012 Handy lately, and my oh my I am a convert. It is a beautiful beast of a rye. I do think the price is a bit out of whack given the age, but this also just shows again that greatness can come young or old.

Full tasting notes with obligatory Incredible Hulk comparisons at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2013/03/03/2012-thomas-h-handy-rye-review-and-tasting-notes/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.