Saugatuck & Founders Road Trip &,.....

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

&,.......... is here-> http://hoosierbeergeek.blogspot.com/2009/10/greetings-from-michigan-great-beer.html

A few weeks ago we went to the Dark Horse Brew Pub in Marshall, MI and I forgot to bring my camera.

The link above is from a HBG's blog about Dark Horse, he does a good job with both pics and info.

But I did remember my camera when we spent a few days in South Haven MI on Lake Michigan.

Saugatuck Brewery only has tours on Saturdays and we were there in the middle of the week.

It is located in nearby Douglas, MI.

rsz_saugatuck_002.jpg

Here is what they had on tap that day.

I had the Singapore IPA, not to be confused with the country, there used to be a logging town nearby called Singapore.

Very good IPA, Lynn had the Neapolitan Milk Stout and it was fun.

It actually smelled liked the ice cream from hence it is named.

Made from milk sugar, strawberries and vanilla beans and only at the Brewmasters whim so we were lucky to get it.

rsz_saugatuck_003.jpg

Nice bar, and also the backside of a very able beer-tender, as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder".

rsz_saugatuck_004.jpg

Later that week we went up to vist the mighty Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids.

rsz_founders_042.jpg

We got lucky here also, their Harvest Ale was just recently released and they had it on tap.

I also got a couple of 4-paks to go.

I like everything Founders makes, they have some great seasonal releases (Double Trouble) and year-'rounds (Centennial).

Big place and it was bustling.

rsz_founders_043.jpg

Founders doesn't do tours but you can peek thru the glass and see the Men-At-Work.

rsz_founders_044.jpg

Afterwards dinner at Bistro Bella Vita, also in Grand Rapids, check it out, you gotta go http://www.bistrobellavita.com/

Back at the cabin, if you follow this shoreline it will take you to Chicago, 3 hours via automobile is a better idea.

rsz_1lake_michigan_040.jpg

Now it's time to say good-night, sleep tight, and back to work Monday morning pounding the pavement for Budweiser and the other fine beers in the Anheuser-Busch portfolio,...

... (hey! I gotta eat!).

rsz_lake_michigan_025.jpg

Edited by OscarV

Nice pics. I always enjoy going to Founders and downtown Grand Rapids. Are you aware of any bourbon bars in that area? I got tickets to see Bob Dylan at Van Andel in about two weeks. I would love to have a bourbon or two chased with a beer at Founders before the show.

Not familiar with GR, last week was the first time I ever been there.

The resturant we were at, Bistro Bella Vita had a bourbon list along with scotch and brandy.

Thay had about about a dozen and MM was the only wheater.

Was there 2 years ago, 1 night only in middle of October. Weather was great and very small crowd. Summer is a zoo, too crowded. Great town to walk around and visited the shops . It was Sunday so the bars were closed. Great pictures!.

• 2 months later...

Oscar, What a great trip! Next time you come to Grand Rapids Founders now offers brewery tours. Also DPPSmoker if you ever come back to the Van Andel Stop into Bar Divani for the Pappy Flight ($39) or some of their BTAC selections. Also, Stella's intown has over 150 whiskeys/whiskys/bourbons behind the bar. There are hidden gems though out this little city!

Nice pics. I always enjoy going to Founders and downtown Grand Rapids. Are you aware of any bourbon bars in that area? I got tickets to see Bob Dylan at Van Andel in about two weeks. I would love to have a bourbon or two chased with a beer at Founders before the show.

My BiL said this place had a good selection and was a fun place to stop- http://amwaygrand.com/lumber_baron_bar.html

Oscar, What a great trip! Next time you come to Grand Rapids Founders now offers brewery tours. Also DPPSmoker if you ever come back to the Van Andel Stop into Bar Divani for the Pappy Flight ($39) or some of their BTAC selections. Also, Stella's intown has over 150 whiskeys/whiskys/bourbons behind the bar. There are hidden gems though out this little city!

I just ran across this groupon for Bar Divani - http://www.groupon.com/deals/bar-divani-3. $20 for $40 worth of food and drink. I can't think of a better purchase for this groupon than the Pappy flight you stated above. If interested, this offer is active until Midnight after Monday, February 4. There are a few minor exclusions and you have to purchase at least one food item.

Thanks for the info, I'd really like to tour Founders.

Did you see my Arcadia tour review?

Link below.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18103-Arcadia-Ales-Brewery-Tour

• 2 weeks later...

DPPSmoker- thanks for the heads up. I picked one up and plan on using it real soon. Last time I was in they had some BTAC Sazerac. I've never had it and seems like there is no time like the present to give it a go.

Oscar- those tour pictures are great! I go down that way for work quite a bit. I have to stop in to do a tour. I just picked up some of Arcadia's Cereal Killer barrel aged barelywine at my local bourbon/beer spot. So it be great to see where it was born.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.